Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree54Likes

TT-01 Forum

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 07:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

he was doing it for a science experiment for school. something along the lines of how toe and camber affect top speed and stability. for camber you will want to go a couple degrees at a time, otherwise you may not get results different enough to be anything. pick up a used ta-05 or tb-03. you can really crank a lot of camber on either of those cars, and they are pretty cheap used.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:56 PM
Tech Rookie

Smile

Originally Posted by JimmyMac
Try this part number? ]
Originally Posted by .crispy
What kind of project? Like a science project? Most projects like that, you have to have a hypothesis, then you collect data on by testing.

How are you going to do that? You're not going to be able to see any difference unless you are a seriously good driver already.

The differences are slight and show up at different times. e.g., corner in vs. corner out.

The TT-01 is not a good test subject anyway. Your rear toe angles are limited by the rear bearing carrier. 0 and 2.

Front toe is adjustable with the optional turnbuckles but you really never have more than 1 degree out to 1 degree in.

Finally, camber, what are you going to do there, test from 0 to 4 degrees all the way around? 4 degrees of negative camber is too much.

Anyway, you don't need a "kit". You just need the turnbuckles that come with the TT01E Type R.
@jimmy So I would need a different set to adjust toe?

@crispy I will be investigating the efficiency and the top speed of the car at different toe and camber angles. 5 different angles each is like the minimum number to be able to do the experiment.

Thanks for your replies guys!
Old 04-17-2014, 07:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Anyone put 64p gears in their TT01 with success?
Old 04-17-2014, 08:00 PM
Tech Addict

That's what I figured, but there's only so much that is going to be discernible to a novice driver.

I suppose you could set it up with 4 degrees toe out on the front, 2 out, straight, 2 in and 4 in. You'd NEVER drive with these settings in real life, but at least you could see how un-handle-able it is.

I just don't see how you're going feel differences in camber though. You're talking about minute differences in speed during cornering and stuff like that.

You're gonna need this:

http://www.competitionx.com/rc-racin...oe-in-toe-out/

http://www.competitionx.com/rc-racin...tuning-camber/

P.S. You'd be better off doing this with a Short Course Truck like a Slash. Much, much easier to adjust on.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Siddyboy
@jimmy So I would need a different set to adjust toe?

@crispy I will be investigating the efficiency and the top speed of the car at different toe and camber angles. 5 different angles each is like the minimum number to be able to do the experiment.

Thanks for your replies guys!
For toe you would need something else. I haven't looked into it much or how they connect (steering linkage). I don't have a TT01. I was simply just looking at the option parts on Tamiyausa.com. I would think you needed 2 tierods, 4 ballcups, and 4 ball studs. Not sure on the sizes as I haven't looked into it. I just did a quick glance and saw the camber kit to point you into the right direction.

This might let you do front toe. Look up the part number on Google to find a good price. http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=54058

Do you have anything to measure toe and camber? There are various ways to do this.

If you know what you want to do and how you would do it, then go for it. Don't let others tell you how you should do your experiment. You need to explore it yourself. That's how you will learn. It doesn't matter if the results are the same or different, as long as you apply the scientific method consistently you should be fine.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:50 PM
Tech Rookie

Smile

Originally Posted by JimmyMac
For toe you would need something else. I haven't looked into it much or how they connect (steering linkage). I don't have a TT01. I was simply just looking at the option parts on Tamiyausa.com. I would think you needed 2 tierods, 4 ballcups, and 4 ball studs. Not sure on the sizes as I haven't looked into it. I just did a quick glance and saw the camber kit to point you into the right direction.

This might let you do front toe. Look up the part number on Google to find a good price.

Do you have anything to measure toe and camber? There are various ways to do this.

If you know what you want to do and how you would do it, then go for it. Don't let others tell you how you should do your experiment. You need to explore it yourself. That's how you will learn. It doesn't matter if the results are the same or different, as long as you apply the scientific method consistently you should be fine.
Hey really appreciate your help! I will go to the local tamiya showroom with the part number, I think they should carry this.

Thanks for this! Yep, that is the whole point of this experiment. There isn't much on google about RC motor efficiency involving the toe and camber either so I really think this topic will be the most suitable since I can do the exploration with minimal guidance.

Thanks again for your help
Old 04-17-2014, 10:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey really appreciate your help! I will go to the local tamiya showroom with the part number, I think they should carry this.

Thanks for this! Yep, that is the whole point of this experiment. There isn't much on google about RC motor efficiency involving the toe and camber either so I really think this topic will be the most suitable since I can do the exploration with minimal guidance.

Thanks again for your help
No problem and have fun!
Old 04-18-2014, 04:25 AM
Tech Addict

Camber affects grip in corners and to some degree amount of acceleration out of a corner. Let me know how you plan to scientifically measure that on a TT-01.

BTW, that is a steering rack.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:54 AM
Tech Rookie

Smile

Camber affects grip in corners and to some degree amount of acceleration out of a corner. Let me know how you plan to scientifically measure that on a TT-01.

BTW, that is a steering rack.
I am not actually investigating that. I am investigating the effect camber has on motor efficiency/ battery life. I will use toe and camber again to check how they affect top speed as another variable.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:16 AM
Tech Addict

I am not actually investigating that. I am investigating the effect camber has on motor efficiency/ battery life. I will use toe and camber again to check how they affect top speed as another variable.
Just out of curiosity, what is your hypothesis for the camber experiment?

How are you going to measure motor efficiency and battery life?

What other variables might come into play? How are you going to keep them constant?
Old 04-18-2014, 07:36 PM
Tech Rookie

Smile

Just out of curiosity, what is your hypothesis for the camber experiment?

How are you going to measure motor efficiency and battery life?

What other variables might come into play? How are you going to keep them constant?
To measure battery efficiency, I will be using the formula Efficiency formula which is Input Power/Output Power * 100%.

To calculate input power, we have the power ratings on the car's battery. Using P=VI input can be calculated. To calculate output, the car will be traveling in a straight line and I will have a constant distance set with a speed gun. After each run, I will measure the kinetic energy output of the car by weighing it and measuring its speed. E(Kinetic) = 1/2*m*v^2. Power is basically energy over a certain time. So, I will divide the E (Kinetic) over the time taken for the car to travel that set distance.

I will also see how camber and toe affect top speed as a sub exploration within the main exploration. The car travels in a straight line with different settings and I will record the speed.

I am still in the planning stages of the experiment. It's for the IB program and we have around half a year to do it. The experiment would be indoor so there would be near constant air resistance. There is friction both with the ground and within the drive train. I will use new LiPo batteries and try to charge them up to a certain constant voltage before I use them.

This is what I know for now.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:46 PM
Tech Regular

I will also see how camber and toe affect top speed as a sub exploration within the main exploration. The car travels in a straight line with different settings and I will record the speed.
Are you sure you are not confusing camber and toe? You experiment makes more sense if you are looking at toe. Toe improves stability at the expense of speed. This is a common trade-off all racers face. Information on percent drop in top speed per each degree of toe might have some utility.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ic-racer
Are you sure you are not confusing camber and toe? You experiment makes more sense if you are looking at toe. Toe improves stability at the expense of speed. This is a common trade-off all racers face. Information on percent drop in top speed per each degree of toe might have some utility.
Yep I am exploring both. I will use camber and toe more for the battery efficiency exploration actually. Ill probably take up your advice on that. I also read online about how camber is more for grip around the corners. I guess i'll explore it anyway and mention this in my hypothesis. After all you learn better by trying it hands on and seeing the results for yourself
Old 04-18-2014, 08:30 PM
Tech Addict

If you're only measuring top speed in a straight line, the contact patch with various camber settings and the friction caused aren't going to produce a measurable difference IMO.

One thing you should explore is if a certain degree of toe out (say 4) results in the same speed as 4 in. You SHOULD scrub off like amounts of speed with both settings. The problem is, the handling characteristics are going to prevent you from driving straight, so all things will not be equal.

I still think the Slash would be a lot better platform for experimenting. All of these adjustments are easy to do on one and it is big enough to carry measuring devices.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:35 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I just started my TT-01 project last night. What a fun little kit this is! It reminds me of building static model cars, cutting all the plastic parts from the sprue. I can see this becoming addicting as I'm already looking for another Tamiya kit to build in the future.

I plan to have this particular kit more as a display model that can be run from time to time. I added the Hop-Up Parts of bearings, Aluminum drive shaft, Aluminum motor mount, and oil dampers. I have some old brushed modified 05 motors I may try with the Kit ESC, or even a 3500kv brushless motor and ESC I have in my parts bin. Nothing crazy, but some how I want to keep this kit more as intended.

Is there a foam insert that fits this particular model? I could not help but notice the stock kit tires are really soft with out a foam insert....

Photos

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.