R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-04-2006, 07:27 PM   #106
Tech Rookie

After a month of using my type tz motor on my tt01, it is slow like my mabuchi. Someone said I need to cut the motor and replace the brushes. What is the difference inside of the mabuchi that even after 3 months its still the same speed while my type tz motor is slowing down?
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 04:13 AM   #107
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to nikkiesteban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberius
After a month of using my type tz motor on my tt01, it is slow like my mabuchi. Someone said I need to cut the motor and replace the brushes. What is the difference inside of the mabuchi that even after 3 months its still the same speed while my type tz motor is slowing down?
sir actually u wont notice the slightly decreasing speed of mabuchi or johnson 540 motor cause its slow enough,,

but in stock TZ you do.. coz it much faster than mabuchi.. and the cause of its decreasing speed is the commutator, and when we're using the RC the motor commumator gets dirty and brushes too.. and in so much speed (rotating commutator) the commutator will slowly get distorted (i 4got the term) it should be cylindrical shape.. as is gets distorted it will run in much friction bcoz of the distorted shape of the commumator.

and when our commutator is dirty it means that the contact of the commutator to thr brushes lessens.. so we need to cut the commutator to freshen up the commutator and to make it cylinder shape again..

hope these helps.. correct me if i'm wrong..
nikkiesteban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 07:22 AM   #108
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiesteban
sir actually u wont notice the slightly decreasing speed of mabuchi or johnson 540 motor cause its slow enough,,

but in stock TZ you do.. coz it much faster than mabuchi.. and the cause of its decreasing speed is the commutator, and when we're using the RC the motor commumator gets dirty and brushes too.. and in so much speed (rotating commutator) the commutator will slowly get distorted (i 4got the term) it should be cylindrical shape.. as is gets distorted it will run in much friction bcoz of the distorted shape of the commumator.

and when our commutator is dirty it means that the contact of the commutator to thr brushes lessens.. so we need to cut the commutator to freshen up the commutator and to make it cylinder shape again..

hope these helps.. correct me if i'm wrong..
The mabuchi doesn't have a commutator and brush that I can see like the TZ. They must be different internally. I can see the commutator turned purplish black in one run on my TZ. Does it mean I'm overgeared or undergeared? The car is not that fast so I must be undergeared?
Old 05-06-2006, 05:18 PM   #109
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to nikkiesteban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberius
The mabuchi doesn't have a commutator and brush that I can see like the TZ. They must be different internally. I can see the commutator turned purplish black in one run on my TZ. Does it mean I'm overgeared or undergeared? The car is not that fast so I must be undergeared?
no sir, all the motors of RC has the same commutator.. but as usual u can't see the commutator and its brush, coz it locked.. thats why some motors are called rebuildable, and TZ it rebuildable.

maybe you geared your car wrong.. look at the case of your tamiya stock TZ, and u will find the right ratio of the TZ motor, and if your car is tamiya tt01 check the tb02 reccomended gearing thats the one for tt01 also..

if you're not a tamiya fan check the manual of your TZ (the one included inside the box of TZ) it has the reccomended ratio if will be used to other kits..
nikkiesteban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 05:37 PM   #110
Tech Initiate

I just have a simple silvercan mototr and I cant seem to find a way to open the bell i beleive it is. is that because im not supposed to be able to get inside and cut the comms ?

also, if anyone has a nice and easy guide on getting inside mototors and cutting comms, maintaining motors etc... for noobs that'd be great

-Steve
Steve-N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 06:17 PM   #111
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-N
I just have a simple silvercan mototr and I cant seem to find a way to open the bell i beleive it is. is that because im not supposed to be able to get inside and cut the comms ?

also, if anyone has a nice and easy guide on getting inside mototors and cutting comms, maintaining motors etc... for noobs that'd be great

-Steve
You are right Steve, the silver can motors are ment not to be opened for the simple reason so that it is not tampered with for the TCS races. these motors are not ment to be have the comms cut on them yet manage to take a beating. You can clean the motor the a Q tip and brass polisher and then spray it out with break cleaner or Simple green. Be sure that you lube the bushings at both ends of the motor. Hope this answers your question.

Thanks

Paul
Redwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 12:17 AM   #112
Tech Rookie

hi all

just ordered a RZ motor for my tt01 and a speed tuned gear set
can any one tell me whats the best gear ratio combination for this motor

thanx

shai
zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 07:38 PM   #113
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to mailboxck

To answer you questions...a bit more accurately.

The silver can motor is a sealed type motor. The comms and brushes on these motors are so hard that it lasts you so long. IT DOES HAVE COMMS AND BRUSHES. Plus, they also have pre installed capacitors inside, so no need to install capacitors externally.

If you comms or brushes turned purple, you are OVERHEATING it. It doesn't necessarily mean that you are over geared or undergeared, just that you might be stressing it by PLAYING TOO LONG (running for around 10mins or more non stop).

For mabuchi's not all motors are created equally. Only around 20% that comes out of the factory are fast enough. So some might be slow, some might be outright quick.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:53 AM   #114
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailboxck
To answer you questions...a bit more accurately.

The silver can motor is a sealed type motor. The comms and brushes on these motors are so hard that it lasts you so long. IT DOES HAVE COMMS AND BRUSHES. Plus, they also have pre installed capacitors inside, so no need to install capacitors externally.

If you comms or brushes turned purple, you are OVERHEATING it. It doesn't necessarily mean that you are over geared or undergeared, just that you might be stressing it by PLAYING TOO LONG (running for around 10mins or more non stop).

For mabuchi's not all motors are created equally. Only around 20% that comes out of the factory are fast enough. So some might be slow, some might be outright quick.
I see. So the mabuchi will last forever. The TZ comm is ok. I sprayed wd40 and the purple color washed out but the motor is still slow now. Almost as slow as my mabuchi. I'll try to play less than 10mins with my TZ.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:50 AM   #115
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to mailboxck

You could have the comms cut and it will be like new again
Old 06-05-2006, 05:17 PM   #116
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I have been reading this thread and I am building a TT01 for my son, I always buy the top of the line cars, but this is fun to add hopups. I almost fogot how fun it is, I think the car I am building will run great. I am adding all of the Taymiya hopups and we will be doing some testing shortly.
gijoe64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 12:21 AM   #117
Tech Regular

anyone know part number aluminum front & rear propeller joint for TT-01R
Attached Thumbnails
TT-01 Forum-gallery_2.jpg  
nino_pohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 10:08 AM   #118
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nino_pohan
anyone know part number aluminum front & rear propeller joint for TT-01R
Front is #3455877

Rear is #3455878
kidrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 06:17 AM   #119
Tech Adept

Exclamation help!!!

i am so very new to all this 8) left it a little later to start but at 19 i have the money and thought id have a go and a bit of a laugh!

i have brought what i have been told is a TT-01 8)

its used but is in ok condition, just a little ditry.
thing is it has no maunal so to strip it down and clean it all up and install the new motor i brought (19x2 venom fireball, i think) could be a little dificuilt!!

thats a pic! could you tell me what it is exactly, what instruction maual i need and why the motor is sideways and most the tt-o1's i see on ebay of put in long ways??

cheers kris
Attached Thumbnails
TT-01 Forum-r0010377.jpg  
creamsodauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 06:32 AM   #120
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to asil

hi.. this chasiss is TL-01, not TT-01..
asil is offline   Reply With Quote