Search
Like Tree54Likes

TT-01 Forum

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 04:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ultegrasti
any1 know if its legal to upgrade a tt01 with 'D' or 'R' parts to give it droop control just like the 'E' for TCS?

R
TT01D B Parts - 51217

Edited - I don't know if it's legal

Kevin
Old 07-02-2008, 06:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi all,
Recently just got myself a set of TT-01D n in the midst of building it up...i just got a couple of qns as i admit i am a noob;

1) Can i apply AW grease instead of the supplied grease stick on all the parts that is needed? I had applied AW grease on the blue alu shaft then i discovered there is a supplied grease in the package. Too excited to build up my car so didnt check through all the packings.

2) How much should i apply?

3) I had visited a couple of forums n apparently, "25 teeth for pinion gear & 55 teeth for spur" is the most talk-about n recommend set up....how do i adjust this?

4) For drifting: Do i need to oil my shocks?

As for now, i just following the instruction manual.I do have a frd that can help but sadly he is in China on a biz trip.
Can any kind souls pls advice me?

Thks!!
Old 07-02-2008, 07:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hey Kevpang,

To tell you honestly, I never used grease except for inside my diffs. Though, don't take it from me, I am just a fellow basher/drifter. The driveshaft will run fine without the grease. I dunno what other people do though...

The pinion is the gear that attaches to the motor itself. There are a number of teeth--for the TT-01, they have 19-25T pinions. You might only have a few of the pinion. Check the pinion on your motor, it should have a number on it somewhere. The number written is the number of teeth, hence the 19T or 23T you will see us shorten it as.

The spur gear is the big gear that the pinion turns, and the spur is on the shaft that turns the driveshaft. The TT-01 has 61T, 58T and 55T spurs. Again, you might only have one of these. If it is white, it is the 61T. The 58 and 55 both are black delrin.

The ratio you hear (25:55) is the ratio that makes the car go the fastest. Remember:

Larger pinion, faster the car. Smaller pinion, slower the car.
Larger Spur gear, SLOWER the car. Smaller the spur gear, FASTER the car.

The faster the car goes, the slower the acceleration, because the car is starting in a higher "gear" if you will. It's like starting in first versus starting in 3rd gear in a car or bike: With first gear, you'll start fine and quickly, but can't go that fast. Whereas, if you start in 3rd gear, your acceleration will not be as quick, but you will end up going as fast.

So you can tweak around with different sizes of spur and pinions to get the speed you want. What kind of motor are you using? I am assuming the Sports tuned motor--Use the largest pinion and smallest spur you have. Those motors have plenty of torque. Basically, you have the legs of Lance Armstrong in your chassis, and he can start in 3rd gear no problem

Oil shocks are shocks that literally have oil in them. The ones you have are friction, and are oil-less. Do not add oil to your shock, because it has no where to go except for attract dust and dirt. Your TT-01D has red shocks, which are soft, which are good for drifting.

I would suggest ordering ABS tires. These are a pipe material similar to PVC. They are great and cheap for drifting. The tires you got with the kit aren't really that great--I hear they are too grippy.

Good luck!
Old 07-02-2008, 08:38 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ultegrasti
what is different on this new tt01 i've heard about?

R
hi there ultegrasti. I have recently bought a tt-01 last march and then bought a tt01r 2 months ago. The r is a racing edition with most of the hopups you need. it comes with:
Aluminum shaft
Aluminum dogbones and cups
udjustable "A" or controller arms
2degree rear uprights
55t, 58t, and 61t spur gears
22t pinion gear.
GT tuned brushed motor (22turn motor i think)
adjustable tie rods
full metal ball bearings set
and oil filled shocks
The only other hop ups i would think you need is springs and steering set and it should be good to go
Old 07-02-2008, 09:02 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Mooshu Beef
Oil shocks are shocks that literally have oil in them. The ones you have are friction, and are oil-less. Do not add oil to your shock, because it has no where to go except for attract dust and dirt. Your TT-01D has red shocks, which are soft, which are good for drifting.

Good luck!
Hi Mooshu Beef,
Thank u very much for ur advice...it cast alot more light on my qns!
But 1 more i still arent sure abt the shock though...as per what u said above, so when i come to the stage of building up my shock (aka damper assembly on the manual), i will leave the damper oil out ya?
Will it have any negative effect on the shock in the near future?

Thks!!
Old 07-02-2008, 09:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

oh wait!

Does it say to fill it with oil?

I forgot the TT-01 D probably has oil filled shocks... Yes, fill the thing with the oil, as the instructions say.

Oil filled shocks are great for handling. Just follow the instructions, and you'll be fine
Old 07-03-2008, 06:21 AM
Tech Initiate

OK. I ordered the Mamba 7700 but put it in my TC4 instead. I put a 15T orion in my TT01 and some drift tires. Im gonna just use it as a drift machine. I have alum. shocks and ball diffs. What gearing should I use to drift with the 15T orion? It has really high gearing in it now and it gets too hot and I get like 15 mins run time.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:17 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jamesban
OK. I ordered the Mamba 7700 but put it in my TC4 instead. I put a 15T orion in my TT01 and some drift tires. Im gonna just use it as a drift machine. I have alum. shocks and ball diffs. What gearing should I use to drift with the 15T orion? It has really high gearing in it now and it gets too hot and I get like 15 mins run time.
Gear it lower, you want wheel spin
And it will run cooler.

Kevin
Old 07-04-2008, 07:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

I am stuck between the TA-05 and TT-01, and I want to stick to the TT-01 because it is cheaper, and I have a deal staring me in the face to get a chassis with universals, BB steering and TRF shocks with different springs. I am getting this for under $100, and I even have plenty of parts of my own, since I have a broken up TT-01.

I am also not a competitive drifter. I wish there were more people drifting in MA, and I will be going to College soon, and there is no guarantee that I will even meet people who also drift there. These are the reasons why I might want to stick to the TA-05.

However, the TA-05 has such adjustability, and I really love the process of changing things, and seeing what happens. I feel like if I have a TA-05, I will satisfy that part of me...And there is a lot more precision in that chassis.

So I guess it comes down to, Is the TA-05 that much more of a precision chassis that I should get it, and if money is an issue, to tune it gradually--or should I go with the TT-01, and tune only through shocks, oils, differentials, etc...

Does anyone have a hopped up TT-01 here? How satisfied are you with it? Would you have gone through the trouble of adding parts to it if you felt the way you do now? Would you have rather started out with the TA-05?
Old 07-04-2008, 07:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi all fellow TT01 drivers, I just got a used TT01. It has already been hopped up with alu centre shaft, graphite top plate, adjustable upper arms, alu motor mount, toe in rear uprights, plastic oil shocks from TA05, motor heat sink. Currently using Sports Tune with 24/58 and ABS tyres for drifting.

I noticed many have the front and rear stabilizer bars, also that the stabilizer sets from Tamiya doesn't come with all the hardware needed to mount them! Are they necessary for drifting? If so, what other hardware do I need, seems like for the front, I need some kind of 90 deg attachment to the upper arm, and for the rear, I need 4 collars with grub screws? I'm not sure which springs the TA05 stock shocks come with, should I be getting the red (soft?) springs all round?
Old 07-04-2008, 08:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Stocker I answered some of your questions on DRCC, I'll paste it here:

The stabilizers can be mounted on the bumper guards, and will look backwards to what everyone else has. Most mount them on top of the Graphite stiffener that runs up and down the chassis.

The stabalizers need the adjustable upper arms in order to work. There are rings in the arms that the stabilizers go through.

I don't have them, so I can't say whether it is necessary or not.

Springs? Uh... I've never had the chance to experiment with springs on the TT-01...but red soft spring all around sound good .

Nice set up there, though
Old 07-05-2008, 12:28 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Mooshu Beef
I am stuck between the TA-05 and TT-01
Mooshu, I have gone through this dilemna. Although I don't drift. I race carpet and asphalt.

I started with a TT-01D then ball bearing alu steering, carbon stiffener, TRF shocks, sway bars, 3Racing shock tower stiffeners, 3Racing aluminium front uprights, universals and ball diffs, 6mm Aluminium hex hubs, Tobee craft propeller joints, Square front suspension balls, titanium and aluminium screws.

With this TT-01 I managed to win a leg of B grade 27T stock, beating a variety of more expensive cars including TA05s at our carpet club.

Now I drive a TA05MS, in tuneability terms the MS has more shock mounting points, there are no other adjustments that I can think of. A standard TA05 needs the lightweight steering option, sway bars, TRF shocks, and carbon shock towers to give the same tuneability. [Except the MS comes with a front one way .. so in my case I bought a 2nd diff].

I think that the TA05 is a better buy and a better car for Touring:
There is no removal and stripping of screw holes to work on the motor and gearing.
Both cars have their unique frustrations when accessing the diffs.
The TA05 is lighter.

Which is better for Drifting I am not sure:
I feel the TT-01 drive train is both more robust and better protected.
The weight will not make a difference for drifting.

In terms of motor position, I think that the mid position of the 05 would enable for easier tuning in both Touring and Drifting situations. I prefer it.

I am buiilding my TT01 as described above, into a drifter. I just found the original TT-01 esc, so it's getting closer.

My advice is get the TT-01, the TRF shocks are worth most of the $100 you will pay, and you already have spares. If you decide later you want a TA05 you already have TRF shocks, probably the most important upgrade to a TA05, and you'll have a car for the girlfriend or buddy.

Cheers

Kevin

I forgot to mention that on TA05 cars you can adjust squat, dive and castor. I have not seen a mechanism for this on a TT-01. Although 3Racing adjustable uppers provide for castor.

Last edited by kavadni; 07-05-2008 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Also
Old 07-05-2008, 12:34 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by stocker
Hi all fellow TT01 drivers, I just got a used TT01. It has already been hopped up with alu centre shaft, graphite top plate, adjustable upper arms, alu motor mount, toe in rear uprights, plastic oil shocks from TA05, motor heat sink. Currently using Sports Tune with 24/58 and ABS tyres for drifting.

I noticed many have the front and rear stabilizer bars, also that the stabilizer sets from Tamiya doesn't come with all the hardware needed to mount them! Are they necessary for drifting? If so, what other hardware do I need, seems like for the front, I need some kind of 90 deg attachment to the upper arm, and for the rear, I need 4 collars with grub screws? I'm not sure which springs the TA05 stock shocks come with, should I be getting the red (soft?) springs all round?
Get 53440 x 2 sets, all these are lighter than the silvers supplied with a TA05, and or 53163 x 2 sets, these are all even lighter. Dive yourself tuning options.
Get hold of the TT01, R, and D, manuals and mount the sway bars low. This makes access to motor, gearing, and turnbuckles, easier.

Kevin
Old 07-05-2008, 07:45 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

How about the 49240, since I only need the soft?

Do the 53163 fit the TRF shocks as well?

Last edited by stocker; 07-05-2008 at 09:32 AM.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks a bunch kavadni!

I have people telling me to go either way...but especially with your explanation, I feel like I can do really well with the TT-01.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.