R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-08-2008, 09:32 AM   #901
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsracer-5 View Post
Swing shafts (universals) are really only helpful for the front wheels of a touring car. You can do all four corners and it won't hurt anything (other than your wallet). But because of the extra stresses on the front - both drive and steering - they're more useful on the front than the rear. They'll give you more precise steering. I happen to have Tamiya universals on all corners of my TT-01R but only on the front of my TA-05.
Thanks for the response!

I think I'll do that. I was considering just buying one set, and that makes a lot of sense.

On your TA-05 do you use an alloy dogbone, or the stock composite one? I have a Mamba 6900 motor in the car and I think I'll end up getting the titanium one, but I am not sure if the stock dogbones are long enough to really torque and twist up.

Still looking for responses to:

1) GPM tire rods
2) 3 racing versus GPM swing shafts
3) GPM or yeah racing steering sets
Old 04-08-2008, 09:55 AM   #902
Tech Initiate

I've got the GPM steering set and turnbuckles on one of my TT01's and the tamiya hopup set on another and personally the superior quality of the tamiya is obvious is build quality and smoothness. The GPM although good does not quite match the Tamiya hopup kit. If you consider price though, the GPM set is far better than the plastic kit stuff and for a fraction of the tamiya hopup parts it does a great job. The GPM stuff with a good servo will be more than upto the demands of a TT01 chassis.
Martinst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:08 AM   #903
Tech Fanatic

Yeah, I really don't need the Tamiya steering sets--I am just looking for something so that I can drive more stable at these higher speeds. I feel like there's too much give in the plastic steering right now.

Thanks for all the responses--I'll definitely post the car once i clean it up and get the parts in it.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:48 PM   #904
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooshu Beef View Post
Thanks for the response!

I think I'll do that. I was considering just buying one set, and that makes a lot of sense.

On your TA-05 do you use an alloy dogbone, or the stock composite one? I have a Mamba 6900 motor in the car and I think I'll end up getting the titanium one, but I am not sure if the stock dogbones are long enough to really torque and twist up.
No problemo, happy to help.

I've got stock dogbones on the rear of my TA-05. They're nothing fancy, just steel or something. And that's all I will need as I only use it for club silvercan racing at my local track.

Hmmm, the TT-01 doesn't come with composite (plastic) dogbones, does it? If so, definetly switch them out with anything metal. That 6900 will snap them in no time. Have you already swapped out the plastic drive shaft and cup?

My TT-01R currently has a 5700 in it... silly fast and great fun for general hooliganism.
sportsracer-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:37 PM   #905
Tech Fanatic

Yup, I got a used TT-01 and it came with plastic dogbones. I think the TT-01R comes with universals.

I have switched to an aluminum driveshaft, but the shaft cups are still plastic (things on either side of the shaft)

I was thinking that the plastic cups on the driveshaft would hold up because the shaft part of it that holds the diff transfer gear and spur gear is metal.

The dogbones actually held up--the only reason why it cracked was I clipped a wall going at least 25 mph, and the front left side knuckle shattered instantly, forcing the dogbone against the diff cup, breaking both.

Regardless I don't want that happening again, so I was going to order from RC mart for some parts. Only.. for the price of the parts I want I might as well get a used carbon and alloy-y chassis. I am not sure yet though.

The reason why I like the TT-01 is that I don't worry about scratching the bottom. Plus, it is shaft drive. If I were to get say, a TA-05 I would worry about the shaft ripping and the exposed gears.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:07 PM   #906
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

ok, the TT01R comes with steel dogbones, cups and the like..

Here's the thing, i have alloy propeller shaft & joints right, ive had the chassis for a little over a year & i have had to replace the alloy joints twice because they keep wearing through. the end of the propeller shaft also moves around alot within the cup of the joint. with the standard plastic looking propeller joints, there's 2 slots in it to allow the prop shaft pin to sit into, but its fully enclosed & the shaft cannot move at all. I have a MM w/7.5 Vortex that ill be strapping up the plastic joints to see how it goes because im sick of having to replace my prop joints because they've worn through.
Drift Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:08 PM   #907
Tech Fanatic

I am guessing the plastic is more forgiving then. I'll stick to the plastic ones for now

Right now I am debating whether to get aluminum knuckles as well or not. Hmm...

I guess once I got the mamba it was all downhill from there. I am needing all these parts, and a better radio...tires... gah!
Old 04-08-2008, 04:55 PM   #908
Tech Regular

Alloy knuckles will help, trust me!!

next to come - a new motor (popped a bearing, cannot be fixed), front stiffner & blue screws!!
Old 04-08-2008, 05:52 PM   #909
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

hi guys,
im using TT01D to drift.

i just noticed that TT01 downstop can be adjusted by inserting a screw into the lower arms. previously, i had no idea why there is 4 pieces of small metal plates inserted below the arm! now, i figured that those metal pieces were used as contact to the screws that adjust the downstop.

anyway, i notice that the droop for my car is really large. is this the same for rest of the TT01 drifters?

what downstop are you guys using for front and rear? how much is your front and rear droop?

my car oversteers really bad... 're-oil' my shocks and see how it goes trmw when testing.

would like to know more on TT01 setup to prevent me from selling it...
doriftu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:03 PM   #910
Tech Rookie

Send a message via Yahoo to mcattardo

DD, are those 'tires' bought or made? I recently picked up an 01 D, feels like the kit tires are too grippy. BTW, I'm running a Novak 5800.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:30 PM   #911
Tech Fanatic

Mcattardo, those, believe it or not, are made from ABS tubing. If you can get a hold of 2 inch tubing, you can cut it down to 1 inch long pieces and round the edges with a router.

If you don't have the tools, materials or the time, go on ebay and search for "Sushi Drift" or just "ABS drift tires" You will find a couple of people who make it.

Driftoru, I dunno what you are talking about...but if your car is oversteering really bad--have you driven the TT-01 D before? Some people put some weights in the front to reduce the jerkiness if you are feeling it. I dunno about your specific situation though.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:11 PM   #912
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriftu View Post
hi guys,
im using TT01D to drift. i just noticed that TT01 downstop can be adjusted by inserting a screw into the lower arms ... what downstop are you guys using for front and rear? how much is your front and rear droop?

Are you kidding me! Does the TT-01D arms have droop settings? I've long thought that was the TT-01's only remaining significant flaw.

Can you look at this link and tell me if this will cover both the front and rear; I can see the front is included, but I'm not sure about the pieces on the bottom right of the picture. Is that the bottom rear arm on a TT-01D?
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=51217

Wow, if these will work on a standard TT-01 this is huge.

Last edited by RaceBucks; 04-08-2008 at 08:00 PM.
RaceBucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:23 PM   #913
Tech Fanatic

Woah now.

Pictures?

*excited*
Old 04-08-2008, 10:34 PM   #914
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

For what it's worth, the R has adjustable droop. Not sure if the lower arms arms are the same as the D and standard 01, though.
sportsracer-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:59 PM   #915
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcattardo View Post
DD, are those 'tires' bought or made? I recently picked up an 01 D, feels like the kit tires are too grippy. BTW, I'm running a Novak 5800.
Ive actually made them out of another material called Polyethylene piping. Im about to sell them to the public in 2 versions. Polyethylene (PE) has very similar characteristics to ABS...

My mate is running an 8.5 & with the Tamiya Drift Tyres its still way too grippy...