R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-11-2007, 12:31 AM   #556
Tech Regular

hey guys!
what are you using between the two, gear or ball dif.? can you advice me about this, please no copy paste from web, i mean im interested based on your experiencessss!
thanks!
Who am I? You sure you want to know? The story of my life is not for the faint of heart. If somebody said it was a happy little tale... if somebody told you I was just your average ordinary guy, not a care in the world... somebody lied.
squad car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:49 PM   #557
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Good to see you back Battlecat

Don't cement them. Wrap the rim with some electrical tape so the tires fit on snug. This is good because you can remove them later by cutting the ABS with a hobby knife, and not worry about breaking the rim removing cement.

Squad: Gear differentials and Ball diffs are mainly different in their construction, as I am sure you know. The thing about ball diffs, is that they are much smoother but the big advantage is adjusting the slip.

I am just gonna explain a bit about slip because I don't know if you are familiar with the concept. But anyways, if you pick up your car right now and spin 1 rear tire, the other should spin the opposite way. This happens because of the differential, and the gears. The reason why people put this in, instead of a solid axle is to help with turning. As I am sure you know, when you turn, the outside wheels actually travel a longer distance than the inner tire. The diff allows the outside tire to spin more than the inner tire of the turn.

Usually you use grease to adjust the slip, or how easily the diff allows one side to turn less. Basically, more resistance to slip in the diff will send more equal power to both wheels all the time. A locked differential is just like as if it were a solid axle, and is often used on off road situations.

You do NOT want to lock your diff in high traction situations, as this causes a lot of stress on your drivetrain. For drifting people often lock their differentials especially in the rear. Personally, I found this makes the car handle more predictably than with an open diff.

Ball diffs are good when you really need to tune the slip of your car, especially high traction situations. If you think about it, your car will be going faster with as much as a locked diff as possible, because the power is all going equally to both wheels. At the same time, you want to be able to turn your car, so your diff needs slippage as well.

My question for you is what do you expect out of your car? The ball diff is rather pricey, and unless you have a lot of money to spend, I'd invest in oil shocks and a few spring sets to experiment with. I use heavy grease to make my diff not-so-open, and locked the back of mine with a piece of paper put inside the diff.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:05 PM   #558
Tech Regular

hi thanks Mooshu Beef for the reply, i know the logic of gear and ball, but i havent tried the ball diff. i just heard an echo that ball was better than the gear in many aspect, want to try the ball but to xpensive to make a trial and error so im wondering if its worth buying,
thanks
Who am I? You sure you want to know? The story of my life is not for the faint of heart. If somebody said it was a happy little tale... if somebody told you I was just your average ordinary guy, not a care in the world... somebody lied.
squad car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:40 AM   #559
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

carbon upper frame - what's this for?
vinsedprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 03:33 AM   #560
Tech Regular

Default Carbon Fiber Upper or Stiffener

The carbon fibre upper .. stiffens .. it reduces flex in the bathtub chassis, making all suspension adjustments more meaningful.

I have a question about the stiffener to anybody that has the tamiya part.

I recently got one second hand, without the aluminium spacers. Can somebody please tell me what thickness they are?

I have used 2.5mm, seems right. I would like to know what tamiya supply.

Thanks

kavandi
kavadni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 04:04 AM   #561
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavadni View Post
The carbon fibre upper .. stiffens .. it reduces flex in the bathtub chassis, making all suspension adjustments more meaningful.

I have a question about the stiffener to anybody that has the tamiya part.

I recently got one second hand, without the aluminium spacers. Can somebody please tell me what thickness they are?

I have used 2.5mm, seems right. I would like to know what tamiya supply.

Thanks

kavandi

Do the different screw lengths reduce the chance of stripping those screws at the rear end of the chassis?
Old 09-13-2007, 06:19 PM   #562
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan the Man View Post
Do the different screw lengths reduce the chance of stripping those screws at the rear end of the chassis?
Dan,

Kind of. I use the longest screw I can without poking into the diff housing.
It has more plastic to bite into. But it still strips eventually.

I have had to use super glue to build up the threads several times now. I am probably due for a new bathtub.

I see your in West Oz too, do you participate in organised racing? I go to PRECC.

Kav
kavadni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:25 AM   #563
Tech Rookie

Kav, I'm in West Oz and just started (3 weeks ago) at PRECC - Venville Rec. I'm running a basic TT01 and slowly spec'ing it up with the hop ups. Drop me a PM.

Cheers
Ed
boostED82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:59 AM   #564
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavadni View Post
Dan,

Kind of. I use the longest screw I can without poking into the diff housing.
It has more plastic to bite into. But it still strips eventually.

I have had to use super glue to build up the threads several times now. I am probably due for a new bathtub.

I see your in West Oz too, do you participate in organised racing? I go to PRECC.

Kav
Hi Kav,

I've been racing occasionally at PRECC for the last 6 years or so, I do most of my racing (when I get time) down at Ryper.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:45 PM   #565
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooshu Beef View Post
Good to see you back Battlecat

Don't cement them. Wrap the rim with some electrical tape so the tires fit on snug. This is good because you can remove them later by cutting the ABS with a hobby knife, and not worry about breaking the rim removing cement.
Aww too late!! Already cemented them with super glue
That electrical tape is a great idea though....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooshu Beef View Post
Squad: Gear differentials and Ball diffs are mainly different in their construction, as I am sure you know. The thing about ball diffs, is that they are much smoother but the big advantage is adjusting the slip.

I am just gonna explain a bit about slip because I don't know if you are familiar with the concept. But anyways, if you pick up your car right now and spin 1 rear tire, the other should spin the opposite way. This happens because of the differential, and the gears. The reason why people put this in, instead of a solid axle is to help with turning. As I am sure you know, when you turn, the outside wheels actually travel a longer distance than the inner tire. The diff allows the outside tire to spin more than the inner tire of the turn.

Usually you use grease to adjust the slip, or how easily the diff allows one side to turn less. Basically, more resistance to slip in the diff will send more equal power to both wheels all the time. A locked differential is just like as if it were a solid axle, and is often used on off road situations.

You do NOT want to lock your diff in high traction situations, as this causes a lot of stress on your drivetrain. For drifting people often lock their differentials especially in the rear. Personally, I found this makes the car handle more predictably than with an open diff.

Ball diffs are good when you really need to tune the slip of your car, especially high traction situations. If you think about it, your car will be going faster with as much as a locked diff as possible, because the power is all going equally to both wheels. At the same time, you want to be able to turn your car, so your diff needs slippage as well.

My question for you is what do you expect out of your car? The ball diff is rather pricey, and unless you have a lot of money to spend, I'd invest in oil shocks and a few spring sets to experiment with. I use heavy grease to make my diff not-so-open, and locked the back of mine with a piece of paper put inside the diff.
Very interesting... how's the locking working for you?

BTW: your sig. is very ironic!

I tried out the sushi drifts, but only on cobblestone driveway... which was bumpy to say the least... although it was still fun.
Gonna try it on a real tennis court soon!
At first, turning with these tires was a pain and the car always spun out... but once you get the hang of it, you can do some crazy nice looking drifts... when I give it gas and turn the back wheels just fly out like mad.

These tires have added a new dimension to the car. Before drifting was kind of tough and I would be proud to be able to pull it off, but with these tires drifting can be done at relatively lower speeds (also high speeds) at ease. Much noisier!

I'm at university right now so I'm pretty busy, but I'll check in these forums once in awhile to keep updated... keep on truckin
battlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 10:58 AM   #566
Tech Apprentice

Default how to measure?

hi to all
how to put "toe out/in" in the back wheel of the tt01?
how can you measure the degrees of "toe in/out" of the front wheels?
what grease do you apply to your diff. gear?
all concerns are for tt01 thanks!
cranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 02:58 PM   #567
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

is there anyways to lower your car at all? since I'm not doing any jumps with it at all.

Beside buying new shock.
Clangeddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 06:37 PM   #568
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

hi cranky!!! you can buy rear uprights that are toed in already, i think tamiya has 2 degree toe in rear uprights for tt-01 there are lots third party manufacturer that offers the same feature, anyway for you to be able to measure toe in and out, we use set up tools they look like complicated rulers.hehe if you want to go using a practical route you can use a4 sized paper, draw 2 ninety degree lines that are parallel to the wheels, and use a protractor to measure to measure toe,,

Clangeddin to lower down the ride height without purchasing new shock absorbers just remove the spacers and thats a few mm off right there.

Cheers!!!
imel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 07:59 PM   #569
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by imel24 View Post
hi cranky!!! you can buy rear uprights that are toed in already, i think tamiya has 2 degree toe in rear uprights for tt-01 there are lots third party manufacturer that offers the same feature, anyway for you to be able to measure toe in and out, we use set up tools they look like complicated rulers.hehe if you want to go using a practical route you can use a4 sized paper, draw 2 ninety degree lines that are parallel to the wheels, and use a protractor to measure to measure toe,,

Cheers!!!
thanks but how about the grease for gear diff. is it any oil can do?
cranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 09:12 PM   #570
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

They sell lots of diff grease. I found that the HPI heavy duty grease works well, but I haven't tried any other greases.

Try them out yourself, I don't know of any at home fixes.

Battlecat, yes I meant for my sig to be ironic . But glad you're enjoying those sushi tires... I actually want a set since mine were from the previous owner, and just chopped and the edges are all uneven and flat. Ugh.

Cobble stone will be very noisy... Have any tennis/basketball courts in your area you can try to drift in? More flat level surfaces are great for drifting.