R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-21-2007, 09:52 PM   #511
Tech Initiate
 
battlecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Demon View Post
What parts help in drifting? the carbon upper frame stiffens the chassis a little more, i have a square alloy diff locker in the rear and a loose ball diff up the front, the carbon tower bars remove the flex from the plastic shock towers, they all work greatly together. Im getting square front & rear stiffners & tamiya front & rear stabilizers, i have been told the stabs help heaps.

Springs play a big part in drifting. with the TRF dampers I have medium white springs with a little tension on the front and a little more on the rear. The TRF dampers are the best shocks ive had!!

Battery is a team orion 3200 lipo, im also about to grab another one, only the peak version though. Gear combo is 61/19 (8.35 FDR), and witht hat the 4600 still gets quite hot, so im strapping a 40mm fan to her and see how she goes with that, i did have 2 x 25mm fans strapped to her, but found that it drain alot of my runtime!
cool thanks, maybe I'll uprgrade springs later on

well I got all my parts!

24/25T pinion, 55/58T spur, aluminum drive shaft, etc..

but I have a big problem... I can't get the 25T pinion to fit through the black thing where the screws go in to connect to the engine (don't know the name, it's the Grey thing in the attached picture)...

Do I need a larger one of those? My 25T pinion JUST gets stuck in it... Any ideas?

Well I'm running 24T pinion 58T spur right now and it's pretty fast! gonna try out my 4200mAh battery too!
Attached Thumbnails
TT-01 Forum-pinion.jpg  
battlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:03 PM   #512
Tech Fanatic
 
doriftu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 838
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

u mean the 25T pinion gear cant go thru the motor mounter hole??

hmmm thats weird. but your 24T can go thru??

u sure u got the correct gears for TT01?

well, great to hear that you car is fully set up. time to go sideways~~~
doriftu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:18 AM   #513
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 162
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlecat View Post
cool thanks, maybe I'll uprgrade springs later on

well I got all my parts!

24/25T pinion, 55/58T spur, aluminum drive shaft, etc..

but I have a big problem... I can't get the 25T pinion to fit through the black thing where the screws go in to connect to the engine (don't know the name, it's the Grey thing in the attached picture)...

Do I need a larger one of those? My 25T pinion JUST gets stuck in it... Any ideas?

Well I'm running 24T pinion 58T spur right now and it's pretty fast! gonna try out my 4200mAh battery too!
you have to be on mounting hole D, i usually install the pinion with the motor mount going first,,, after tightening that with the motor then i install the pinion,,, i have the stock motor mount though, if you have the aluminum one it might be off a different size i haven't tried it yet.
imel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:04 AM   #514
Tech Initiate
 
battlecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriftu View Post
u mean the 25T pinion gear cant go thru the motor mounter hole??

hmmm thats weird. but your 24T can go thru??

u sure u got the correct gears for TT01?

well, great to hear that you car is fully set up. time to go sideways~~~
hey yep I have the correct gears because the 24T 58T pinions work well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imel
you have to be on mounting hole D, i usually install the pinion with the motor mount going first,,, after tightening that with the motor then i install the pinion,,, i have the stock motor mount though, if you have the aluminum one it might be off a different size i haven't tried it yet.
hmm how do you install the pinion after the motor mount?? there's not enough room for my alan key to screw in the grub screw! I have no idea why it's like this!
battlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:33 PM   #515
Tech Initiate
 
battlecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 49
Default

I tried again and the 25T pinion still doesn't fit! argg why!! please someone that has experience with this, am I supposed to 'force' the pinion through the motor mount?

I can't put the motor mount on first, then the pinion...... how do you do it imel?!?
thanks for any input/help!
battlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:52 AM   #516
Tech Adept
 
hemi426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germany
Posts: 103
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlecat View Post
I tried again and the 25T pinion still doesn't fit! argg why!! please someone that has experience with this, am I supposed to 'force' the pinion through the motor mount?

I can't put the motor mount on first, then the pinion...... how do you do it imel?!?
thanks for any input/help!
I don't see the problem....

Of course you have to put the motor mount on first and then the pinion. What type of pinion do you have? I use a Tamiya 25T alloy pinion. I can use the 1.5mm allen wrench without a problem. Just push the pinion as far onto the motor shaft that you can still use the allen key. The pinion doesn't have to be pushed all the way onto the motor shaft.

Can you take a photo?

Edit: Here's a photo of our 24hour motor and the plastic motor mount with a bigger Carson steel pinion. With my other pinions and the alloy motor mount it works just the same.

__________________
TRF 416, Cyclone S, TT-01E, Evo III SL, TamTech GT01, Slash, M18 Pro, M03-R
hemi426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:53 PM   #517
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 53
Default

Hi, I've got a TT01 and I'm buying a few hop up parts.

The list is:
-Heat Sink
-Alu Prop Shaft
-Ball Beaing Set
-Adjustable Arm Set
-Turnbuckle Tierod Set
-CVA Mini Shock Unit or Alu Damper Set
-Carbon Upper Frame
-Front/Rear Stabilizers
-Alu Racing Steering Set/Steering Link
-New body>WRC 2004 Impreza (messed up my Nissan GTR34 Nismo Skyline)

I also have a few questions:
-Are the CVA Shocks better than the Alu Damper Set? (Plastic VS Aluminum, Handling?)
-How do you install the Stabilizers to the Arms?

And for the ones who were wondering where to get 27T Pinions and so on, I have the answer.....MAKE THEM!
I've custom made my own set of Pinion and Spur and have accomplished an amazing 35T Pinion and 35T Spur.
I did a speed run and achieved a wopping 63km with my stock TT01!
Unfortunately I ran out of signal, and I have to say that it is hell to accelerate it but its fast!

If you have any answers to my questions please post them.

luismx123
luismx123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:07 PM   #518
Tech Fanatic
 
doriftu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 838
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luismx123 View Post
I also have a few questions:
-Are the CVA Shocks better than the Alu Damper Set? (Plastic VS Aluminum, Handling?)
-How do you install the Stabilizers to the Arms?

And for the ones who were wondering where to get 27T Pinions and so on, I have the answer.....MAKE THEM!
I've custom made my own set of Pinion and Spur and have accomplished an amazing 35T Pinion and 35T Spur.
I did a speed run and achieved a wopping 63km with my stock TT01!
Unfortunately I ran out of signal, and I have to say that it is hell to accelerate it but its fast!

If you have any answers to my questions please post them.

luismx123
the CVA are better as it is using oil as damping mechanism. you can tune the damping by changing to different oil shocks viscosity. the stock shock are friction based.

never used stabilizer arms b4, perhaps drift demon or moshu beef can advise

jeez, u are having a 1:1 spur/pinion ratio!! wont that burn your motor? stock motor? how do you measure the speed?
doriftu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:16 PM   #519
Tech Initiate
 
battlecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi426 View Post
Just push the pinion as far onto the motor shaft that you can still use the allen key. The pinion doesn't have to be pushed all the way onto the motor shaft.
ahhhhh thank you!! that's it! I thought I had to push the pinion all the way onto the engine! now it'll work!

but I was running my TT-01 the other day and it's blazing fast already! dunno if I should up the speed... oh yes,, I'll try it soon
battlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 05:58 AM   #520
Tech Fanatic
 
Blueshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 769
Default

5 LEDs for each light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diozxlive View Post
What are those lights? any ideas on how many volts for additional LEDs for the TLU-01 light kits?
Blueshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 06:57 AM   #521
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 53
Default

Hey doriftu,

About the CVA VS Alu Dampers:
-Arn't the CVA Shocks made of plastic?
-How does the Alu Damper Set work? Can't you also adjust the height of your ride?

Um well the motor does heat up but what I do is hold it off the ground till its up to speed then push it as hard as I can so that it doesn't loose any acceleration, and well I used a radar gun.
luismx123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 07:41 AM   #522
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luismx123 View Post

About the CVA VS Alu Dampers:
-Arn't the CVA Shocks made of plastic?
-How does the Alu Damper Set work? Can't you also adjust the height of your ride?
The "standard" CVA dampers are plastic bodied

There are several different sets of Alu dampers which can be used
  • the older TA03 Low Friction Damper set, which uses spacer inserts to set the preload
  • the TRF Damper set which has threaded shock bodies and an adjustable collar to set preload

It should be noted that the alu. dampers are also considered to be "CVA" dampers in that they are sealed, oil-filled dampers which use a bladder arrangement to compensate for the change in internal volume due to the entry of the shock shaft when the damper is compressed.
Phil_H_Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:34 AM   #523
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 53
Default

Hey Phil,

So which one would you buy if you had the choice:
-Tamiya CVA Mini Shock Unit Cylinder(4)
or
-Tamiya Low Friction Aluminum Dampener Set(2) x2



I have a few more questions but this time its about motors:
-Brushed VS Brushless?
-Wouldn't a 60,000+rpm motor(brushless) destroy a TT01?
-What is a double turn and does it help?
-What ESC do you need for double turn motors?
-And any good(cheap) brushless and brushed motors with ESCs out on the market?
luismx123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:55 AM   #524
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 28
Default

It's just a matter of personal choice. Arguably, either set would do the job just fine.

If price is a consideration, then go for the plastic ones. If looks are a consideration, then the aluminium ones. If you're just bashing around a parking lot then the plastic ones are all you need.
Phil_H_Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 04:52 PM   #525
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 374
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I can answer the brushless bit.

Using a mamba max 5700, i found that the cup joints for the center shaft & universals had wear marks in them after about 10 runs (30mins each run). I only chewed up a spur and a pinion, but that was because the pinion had lost its shape, and tamiya pinion are known for there soft alloy pinions.

But yeah, there is also another guy in this thread a few pages back that has strapped a 7700 to his tt01. If you plan to get a brushless, also plan for some upgrades to your drivetrain!!
Drift Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to the forum mig rod Electric Off-Road 1 01-05-2008 05:23 PM
hi i need help and im new to the forum racer4 Rookie Zone 4 01-21-2007 02:37 PM
Why is this forum listed under the On Road Forum? sport10 Onroad Nitro Engine Zone 0 01-11-2007 08:06 AM
Forum Changes... futureal Wisconsin & Illinois Racing 3 10-28-2002 09:26 PM


Tags
drift


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:03 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0