R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-17-2014, 08:50 PM   #2356
Tech Champion
 
ThePanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 6,841
Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)
Default

he was doing it for a science experiment for school. something along the lines of how toe and camber affect top speed and stability. for camber you will want to go a couple degrees at a time, otherwise you may not get results different enough to be anything. pick up a used ta-05 or tb-03. you can really crank a lot of camber on either of those cars, and they are pretty cheap used.
ThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:56 PM   #2357
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Singapore
Posts: 16
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMac View Post
Try this part number? ]
Quote:
Originally Posted by .crispy View Post
What kind of project? Like a science project? Most projects like that, you have to have a hypothesis, then you collect data on by testing.

How are you going to do that? You're not going to be able to see any difference unless you are a seriously good driver already.

The differences are slight and show up at different times. e.g., corner in vs. corner out.

The TT-01 is not a good test subject anyway. Your rear toe angles are limited by the rear bearing carrier. 0 and 2.

Front toe is adjustable with the optional turnbuckles but you really never have more than 1 degree out to 1 degree in.

Finally, camber, what are you going to do there, test from 0 to 4 degrees all the way around? 4 degrees of negative camber is too much.

Anyway, you don't need a "kit". You just need the turnbuckles that come with the TT01E Type R.
@jimmy So I would need a different set to adjust toe?


@crispy I will be investigating the efficiency and the top speed of the car at different toe and camber angles. 5 different angles each is like the minimum number to be able to do the experiment.

Thanks for your replies guys!
Siddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:58 PM   #2358
Tech Master
 
J-milz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Staten island
Posts: 1,452
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Anyone put 64p gears in their TT01 with success?
__________________
💫XRAY addict💫 sponsored by the secret stash.....tee-hee-hee.
J-milz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:00 PM   #2359
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Indianapolis give or take...
Posts: 659
Default

That's what I figured, but there's only so much that is going to be discernible to a novice driver.

I suppose you could set it up with 4 degrees toe out on the front, 2 out, straight, 2 in and 4 in. You'd NEVER drive with these settings in real life, but at least you could see how un-handle-able it is.

I just don't see how you're going feel differences in camber though. You're talking about minute differences in speed during cornering and stuff like that.

You're gonna need this:

http://www.competitionx.com/rc-racin...oe-in-toe-out/

http://www.competitionx.com/rc-racin...tuning-camber/

P.S. You'd be better off doing this with a Short Course Truck like a Slash. Much, much easier to adjust on.
.crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:39 PM   #2360
Tech Elite
 
JimmyMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: NC
Posts: 4,343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddyboy View Post
@jimmy So I would need a different set to adjust toe?


@crispy I will be investigating the efficiency and the top speed of the car at different toe and camber angles. 5 different angles each is like the minimum number to be able to do the experiment.

Thanks for your replies guys!
For toe you would need something else. I haven't looked into it much or how they connect (steering linkage). I don't have a TT01. I was simply just looking at the option parts on Tamiyausa.com. I would think you needed 2 tierods, 4 ballcups, and 4 ball studs. Not sure on the sizes as I haven't looked into it. I just did a quick glance and saw the camber kit to point you into the right direction.

This might let you do front toe. Look up the part number on Google to find a good price. http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=54058

Do you have anything to measure toe and camber? There are various ways to do this.

If you know what you want to do and how you would do it, then go for it. Don't let others tell you how you should do your experiment. You need to explore it yourself. That's how you will learn. It doesn't matter if the results are the same or different, as long as you apply the scientific method consistently you should be fine.
__________________
M.J. McIntyre

R1Wurks
Yokomo YRX12
Ho-B Max
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:50 PM   #2361
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Singapore
Posts: 16
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMac View Post
For toe you would need something else. I haven't looked into it much or how they connect (steering linkage). I don't have a TT01. I was simply just looking at the option parts on Tamiyausa.com. I would think you needed 2 tierods, 4 ballcups, and 4 ball studs. Not sure on the sizes as I haven't looked into it. I just did a quick glance and saw the camber kit to point you into the right direction.

This might let you do front toe. Look up the part number on Google to find a good price.

Do you have anything to measure toe and camber? There are various ways to do this.

If you know what you want to do and how you would do it, then go for it. Don't let others tell you how you should do your experiment. You need to explore it yourself. That's how you will learn. It doesn't matter if the results are the same or different, as long as you apply the scientific method consistently you should be fine.
Hey really appreciate your help! I will go to the local tamiya showroom with the part number, I think they should carry this.

Thanks for this! Yep, that is the whole point of this experiment. There isn't much on google about RC motor efficiency involving the toe and camber either so I really think this topic will be the most suitable since I can do the exploration with minimal guidance.

Thanks again for your help
Siddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:04 PM   #2362
Tech Elite
 
JimmyMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: NC
Posts: 4,343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddyboy View Post
Hey really appreciate your help! I will go to the local tamiya showroom with the part number, I think they should carry this.

Thanks for this! Yep, that is the whole point of this experiment. There isn't much on google about RC motor efficiency involving the toe and camber either so I really think this topic will be the most suitable since I can do the exploration with minimal guidance.

Thanks again for your help
No problem and have fun!
__________________
M.J. McIntyre

R1Wurks
Yokomo YRX12
Ho-B Max
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:25 AM   #2363
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Indianapolis give or take...
Posts: 659
Default

Camber affects grip in corners and to some degree amount of acceleration out of a corner. Let me know how you plan to scientifically measure that on a TT-01.

BTW, that is a steering rack.
.crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:54 AM   #2364
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Singapore
Posts: 16
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by .crispy View Post
Camber affects grip in corners and to some degree amount of acceleration out of a corner. Let me know how you plan to scientifically measure that on a TT-01.

BTW, that is a steering rack.
I am not actually investigating that. I am investigating the effect camber has on motor efficiency/ battery life. I will use toe and camber again to check how they affect top speed as another variable.
Siddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:16 AM   #2365
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Indianapolis give or take...
Posts: 659
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddyboy View Post
I am not actually investigating that. I am investigating the effect camber has on motor efficiency/ battery life. I will use toe and camber again to check how they affect top speed as another variable.
Just out of curiosity, what is your hypothesis for the camber experiment?

How are you going to measure motor efficiency and battery life?

What other variables might come into play? How are you going to keep them constant?
.crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:36 PM   #2366
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Singapore
Posts: 16
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by .crispy View Post
Just out of curiosity, what is your hypothesis for the camber experiment?

How are you going to measure motor efficiency and battery life?

What other variables might come into play? How are you going to keep them constant?
To measure battery efficiency, I will be using the formula Efficiency formula which is Input Power/Output Power * 100%.

To calculate input power, we have the power ratings on the car's battery. Using P=VI input can be calculated. To calculate output, the car will be traveling in a straight line and I will have a constant distance set with a speed gun. After each run, I will measure the kinetic energy output of the car by weighing it and measuring its speed. E(Kinetic) = 1/2*m*v^2. Power is basically energy over a certain time. So, I will divide the E (Kinetic) over the time taken for the car to travel that set distance.

I will also see how camber and toe affect top speed as a sub exploration within the main exploration. The car travels in a straight line with different settings and I will record the speed.

I am still in the planning stages of the experiment. It's for the IB program and we have around half a year to do it. The experiment would be indoor so there would be near constant air resistance. There is friction both with the ground and within the drive train. I will use new LiPo batteries and try to charge them up to a certain constant voltage before I use them.

This is what I know for now.
Siddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:46 PM   #2367
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddyboy View Post

I will also see how camber and toe affect top speed as a sub exploration within the main exploration. The car travels in a straight line with different settings and I will record the speed.
Are you sure you are not confusing camber and toe? You experiment makes more sense if you are looking at toe. Toe improves stability at the expense of speed. This is a common trade-off all racers face. Information on percent drop in top speed per each degree of toe might have some utility.
ic-racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:57 PM   #2368
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Singapore
Posts: 16
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
Are you sure you are not confusing camber and toe? You experiment makes more sense if you are looking at toe. Toe improves stability at the expense of speed. This is a common trade-off all racers face. Information on percent drop in top speed per each degree of toe might have some utility.
Yep I am exploring both. I will use camber and toe more for the battery efficiency exploration actually. Ill probably take up your advice on that. I also read online about how camber is more for grip around the corners. I guess i'll explore it anyway and mention this in my hypothesis. After all you learn better by trying it hands on and seeing the results for yourself
Siddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:30 PM   #2369
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Indianapolis give or take...
Posts: 659
Default

If you're only measuring top speed in a straight line, the contact patch with various camber settings and the friction caused aren't going to produce a measurable difference IMO.

One thing you should explore is if a certain degree of toe out (say 4) results in the same speed as 4 in. You SHOULD scrub off like amounts of speed with both settings. The problem is, the handling characteristics are going to prevent you from driving straight, so all things will not be equal.

I still think the Slash would be a lot better platform for experimenting. All of these adjustments are easy to do on one and it is big enough to carry measuring devices.
.crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:35 AM   #2370
Tech Addict
 
ViperZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Saskatoon, SK. Canada
Posts: 625
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

I just started my TT-01 project last night. What a fun little kit this is! It reminds me of building static model cars, cutting all the plastic parts from the sprue. I can see this becoming addicting as I'm already looking for another Tamiya kit to build in the future.

I plan to have this particular kit more as a display model that can be run from time to time. I added the Hop-Up Parts of bearings, Aluminum drive shaft, Aluminum motor mount, and oil dampers. I have some old brushed modified 05 motors I may try with the Kit ESC, or even a 3500kv brushless motor and ESC I have in my parts bin. Nothing crazy, but some how I want to keep this kit more as intended.

Is there a foam insert that fits this particular model? I could not help but notice the stock kit tires are really soft with out a foam insert....







Photos
__________________
*
Who races a Mazda Sedan...? Honestly...? :D
ViperZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to the forum mig rod Electric Off-Road 1 01-05-2008 05:23 PM
hi i need help and im new to the forum racer4 Rookie Zone 4 01-21-2007 02:37 PM
Why is this forum listed under the On Road Forum? sport10 Onroad Nitro Engine Zone 0 01-11-2007 08:06 AM
Forum Changes... futureal Wisconsin & Illinois Racing 3 10-28-2002 09:26 PM


Tags
drift


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
Laguna Bozo
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:53 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0