R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-12-2011, 04:53 PM   #1966
MD
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Re-center your servo. Make sure the throttle trim is in the middle when youj do.
MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:28 AM   #1967
Tech Rookie

Default Back in RC

**I posted this in the newb area as well. Figured I'd ask the TT-01 experts for their opinion as well. Thanks!**

Greetings all,
After a few years away from the hobby, I've decided to work my way back in. Due to a new location, I'm pretty much out the off-road stuff. However, I'm living in Tokyo and decided to jump into on-road touring cars. I spent a few days looking at different options and what seemed to be popular/common models for what I wanted. All of my background has been in off-road and mostly bashing, with a little bit of simple racing.
I'm taking a different approach this time, because I got caugh up in the 'fast as you can buy' mindset the last time. I'm looking at putting something together that will be as fast as I can control, nothing more. I ended up buying a TT-01RE SA at the Futaba Shop in Akihabara. Going to order a body through one of the custom paint shops online that I have seen on the forums here. I'm not rushing into this since I will be pretty busy at work for the next few months, but will use my downtime to relax and either drive or wrench.
Having said all of that, I'm looking for some recommendations on the following:

-Motor & ESC (would rather go brushless due to low maintenence)
-Batteries (had lipos and brushless in an EMAXX a few years ago and loved it)
-Radio (2.4ghz obviosly)

I will possibly try to get into some low-level club racing, so I know that they will have certain specs to follow, but that may be down the road. I'm looking for something to practice with mainly.
I loved this hobby before, and am very happy to be back in it. Especially since the brushless/lipo options have become more reasonable.
Look forward to hearing what you have to say!

www.peteweber.net
www.coolclubs.jp
SpacemanSpiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:00 PM   #1968
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

To SpacemanSpiff,

Does shops in Japan carry much American r/c products? By the way, can you post pictures of the Futaba store? I think it would be cool if there are some small manufacture shops here in America. I would love to see a Tamiya store, Futaba Store, JR, etc...

Speed passion combos are good. Radio wise, I am surprised that you did not buy a Futaba radio at the Futaba store haha. 4PL would be my choice. LiPOs are very popular and ones from online store are very affordable. I would say get 40C packs or higher.
superspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:45 PM   #1969
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to charlie_b Send a message via MSN to charlie_b Send a message via Yahoo to charlie_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
**I posted this in the newb area as well. Figured I'd ask the TT-01 experts for their opinion as well. Thanks!**

Greetings all,
After a few years away from the hobby, I've decided to work my way back in. Due to a new location, I'm pretty much out the off-road stuff. However, I'm living in Tokyo and decided to jump into on-road touring cars. I spent a few days looking at different options and what seemed to be popular/common models for what I wanted. All of my background has been in off-road and mostly bashing, with a little bit of simple racing.
I'm taking a different approach this time, because I got caugh up in the 'fast as you can buy' mindset the last time. I'm looking at putting something together that will be as fast as I can control, nothing more. I ended up buying a TT-01RE SA at the Futaba Shop in Akihabara. Going to order a body through one of the custom paint shops online that I have seen on the forums here. I'm not rushing into this since I will be pretty busy at work for the next few months, but will use my downtime to relax and either drive or wrench.
Having said all of that, I'm looking for some recommendations on the following:

-Motor & ESC (would rather go brushless due to low maintenence)
-Batteries (had lipos and brushless in an EMAXX a few years ago and loved it)
-Radio (2.4ghz obviosly)

I will possibly try to get into some low-level club racing, so I know that they will have certain specs to follow, but that may be down the road. I'm looking for something to practice with mainly.
I loved this hobby before, and am very happy to be back in it. Especially since the brushless/lipo options have become more reasonable.
Look forward to hearing what you have to say!
Pete,
Like Superspeed said, Speedpassion has a great product line. The Cirtix Combo is widely used here in the US as well as Europe with their famous ETS races. Probably the best answer i can give you is find out what the local tracks in your area are running for the current TT-01/Beginner class. Another good place to look is the local Tamiya Championship Series out there. Best of luck to you and let us know how ya do at your local track!
CFX Paintworks:="https://www.facebook.com/CFXPaintworks?fref=ts
|HITEC|PARMA|PROTEKRC|SWEEP|IWATA|RPM|AMAIN|CREATE X/WICKED/AUTOAIR PAINTS|TEAMASSOCIATED|REEDY
charlie_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:01 PM   #1970
Tech Rookie

Charlie & Superspeed,
Thanks for the replies and feedback. As soon I as I can speak enough Japanese or find someone who speaks enough English, I will find a track to go to and see what people are using.
The store is called Futaba, but it isn't the Futaba we all know. From it's appearance, it isn't associated with the electronics company. I'm not sure if I even saw a Futaba radio when I was there!
Thanks for the advice. I'm on page 52 of the thread. I decided the best way to gather up info and reference material was to read through the entire thing. Might take a while, but it will sure help.
One quick question (and this may have been answered already), but does my version of the TT-01 suffer from the need for the aluminum steering upgrade?

Thanks all and looking forward to being more active here.

www.peteweber.net
www.coolclubs.jp
Old 05-18-2011, 11:12 AM   #1971
Tech Regular

SpacemanSpiff

You have the type E so it has the better steering system derived from the TA05. There is still slop in it but not as much as the older design. From what I remember the R should come with bearings for the steering system which is better than just bushes in the steering arms.

I had the same one you have (just the kit version), before I sold it, and I upgraded it with most of the hopups that Tamiya offer and I must say that the aluminium steering was a little better than the standard plastic bits but not enough to justify the $30 it costs. Rather put the money into something else. Remember that if you upgrade the steering arms you also need the steering link!

If you want to do it in stages I would reccomend getting the steering link first as it too has bearings and will reduce the little bit of play you get due to the screws that are used to connect it to the steering arms. Then later if you reallyt feel the need or want the bling then do the arms.
mr lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:24 PM   #1972
Tech Master

Default Tamiya hop-up alum steering bell crank for TT01

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=54058

comes with ball bearings and full retail is $40. part number 54058
Old 05-18-2011, 03:51 PM   #1973
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Tamiya EBBRO 350R body set

I have a brand new, unpainted and trimmed, Tamiya EBBRO 350R body set, with body holes for a TT01(E). Will also come with optional body mounts, to fit the chassis. PM me for a price & pictures.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:55 AM   #1974
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the info guys, I really appreciate it. Next up will be picking out a body and finishing off the electronics. I haven't had the time to do any searching yet, but does anyone have any links for the speedpassion 17.5 bl combos and where some of the best prices online are? Going to compare the online prices to the ones I've seen in a few of the shops I've found over here. Would rather support the LHS, but don't want to overpay a lot. Sorry for not having done any legwork on this. Just spend the last 3 nights reading all 130+ pages of posts on the TT01
Great amount of info on here and thanks to everyone who has done so much work on testing and trying things out. Newbs like me really appreciate it!

www.peteweber.net
www.coolclubs.jp
Old 05-19-2011, 11:20 PM   #1975
Tech Rookie

So after reading through everything and seeing what the TCS rules are, I think for now I'm going to set up the TT01RE for silver cans. What's a good basic esc for me? Seems a little more difficult to find brushed only escs since brushless is taking over. Any good options that would run both?
Thanks again for the help!

www.peteweber.net
www.coolclubs.jp
Old 05-20-2011, 12:12 AM   #1976
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to charlie_b Send a message via MSN to charlie_b Send a message via Yahoo to charlie_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
So after reading through everything and seeing what the TCS rules are, I think for now I'm going to set up the TT01RE for silver cans. What's a good basic esc for me? Seems a little more difficult to find brushed only escs since brushless is taking over. Any good options that would run both?
Thanks again for the help!
You can't go wrong with either a Novak or LRP...
CFX Paintworks:="https://www.facebook.com/CFXPaintworks?fref=ts
|HITEC|PARMA|PROTEKRC|SWEEP|IWATA|RPM|AMAIN|CREATE X/WICKED/AUTOAIR PAINTS|TEAMASSOCIATED|REEDY
charlie_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:11 AM   #1977
Tech Master

compact size is important, as newer chassis kits is having lesser space for electronics.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:41 AM   #1978
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Sup guys,

Just wondering what's the fastest motor anyone has ever ran in a TT-01 before? And yet be more than reliable to bash with for about 5 packs non stop.

Thanks
unknownmember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:12 PM   #1979
Tech Adept

Anyone ever try these? http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-tt0...6-p-27059.html

they are 3racing's +5mm offset universalw. Would this allow me to run 190mm bodies with 0 offset tires? I am looking for setup exxperience with these,.

Thanks!

Tim

Hummer Stampede, Monster Stampede, Porsche GT2 TT-01E, Mini-Z's
Arctic Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:07 AM   #1980
Tech Rookie

What is a good basic electronics set up for those cars? Looking into a 2.4 ghz radio setup. Just wondering what esc people are using for silver cans? is there a good esc that will let me run both silver cans and brushless?

Thanks!

www.peteweber.net
www.coolclubs.jp