R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-19-2010, 02:22 PM   #1861
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodys3b View Post
Interesting rules. Very similar to what we are going to do with the following exceptions:

1. Our spec tire is the one that comes in the kit (50454)
2. Silver can motors. May have to do the hand out thing if folks don't play fair. No motor cooling devices.
3. TEU-101BK speed controller (kit supplied)
4. Spec LiPo stick pack battery (4000ma, 20c)
5. 21t pinion with stock spur.
6. Any TT-01 or TT-01E. TT-01s may be modified in the areas that the E was "enhanced."

We have done a lot of testing with TT-01 and TT-01E and can't really see a difference. We are using the CVA Super Mini shocks on these and our Mini Coopers. On these chassis, they seem to work just as well as the high dollar TRF shocks and cost a bunch less.

We are going to try and do a few night races as well. Lights down low and LED head lights and tail lights. Not sure how well this is going to work but it should be fun finding out. There is also talk of doing some endurance racing.

Do you know of a way to check the RPM of the motors in case we need to go down that road?
Our record for laps in the Spec Class is held by a base TT01. I suspect you could hand a 3 wheeled junker to that driver and he would TQ. He is quite good.

I don't know about RPM checking. The hand out motor motor is a tweaked Johnson and is noticeably faster than a normal silver can. We all own practice motors and use those since there are only 3 of us racing at the moment. When the off-road racing dies down in the Fall, the number of entrants should increase and I assume they will hand out motors. Search for Red Dot motors on RCTech and you should get a hit that will let you reach the source of the motors. He gave me some good maintenance advice and might be able to help you with the RPM Tech question.

The 2 guys who race with me, as a courtesy so I can run, are both at the top of our 21.5 TC class. They have very good TT01s and much, much better driving skills than I have. I am about 10+ laps off the pace. That is what happens when you take a 20 year break in racing

Your "night" driving sounds interesting. If you video that, please post it. I am sure it would be great viewing.

Last edited by bencason; 07-19-2010 at 05:39 PM.
bencason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:33 PM   #1862
MD
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

woodys3b - Where do you race?
MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:36 PM   #1863
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Kalamazoo Mi. Hobby-Sports.

I started racing there last year but ended up spending most of the racing season in Grand Rapids. Things just weren't right for me at Hobby-Sports. This season is looking much better at Hobby Sports so I'm going to give it another go there. I'm really looking forward to this new TT-01 class as well as the M-01/05 class.
woodys3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:23 PM   #1864
Tech Adept

Man crashed my TT01 into a car wheel when doing a speed test and snapped the graphite in the front!! But it is in the process of being fixed! Also putting ball diffs in!
Old 07-28-2010, 06:35 PM   #1865
Tech Rookie

I have a gearing dilemma. My TT-01 is FAR from stock. Here is the list of mods it has...

graphite conversion kit
aluminum front and rear upper and lower arms
aluminum front and rear hub carriers
aluminum driveshaft set
Mamba Max 4600Kv BL motor/esc
aluminum front and rear gearbox covers
oil-filled aluminum dampers
full ball bearing set

The only things that are really still stock are the differentials.

Here is my dilemma though: I can stick with the stock gearing, but when I was still on the stock chassis it seemed as though the car could go faster, but the gearing was holding it back. What should I use to get this thing to FLY! I have 19, 21, 23 and 25T pinion gears available and 55, 58 and 61T spur gears. Currently I have the 25/55 on the car right now. Should I go differently or keep it like that?
Seven3Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:44 AM   #1866
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (92%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniowner View Post
I just picked up a TT01 for some fun outside my house. Got it RTR with an extra set of drift tires for $60 so I'm happy. Not planning to race it just wanted to get drifting practice as I've been dying to try it. Only thing I'm probably going to upgrade it the drive shaft as it's really flimsy and flexible to maybe put a new motor it.

Speaking of motors, any one have any cheap suggestions just to get a bit more punch out of the car? I'm not really looking to spend over $100 total

Wow thats a sweet deal! I wish I could find one for that cheap!
sliding_josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:32 PM   #1867
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven3Lee View Post
I have a gearing dilemma. My TT-01 is FAR from stock. Here is the list of mods it has...

graphite conversion kit
aluminum front and rear upper and lower arms
aluminum front and rear hub carriers
aluminum driveshaft set
Mamba Max 4600Kv BL motor/esc
aluminum front and rear gearbox covers
oil-filled aluminum dampers
full ball bearing set

The only things that are really still stock are the differentials.

Here is my dilemma though: I can stick with the stock gearing, but when I was still on the stock chassis it seemed as though the car could go faster, but the gearing was holding it back. What should I use to get this thing to FLY! I have 19, 21, 23 and 25T pinion gears available and 55, 58 and 61T spur gears. Currently I have the 25/55 on the car right now. Should I go differently or keep it like that?

I got all the same upgrades as you except ive got a different brushless motor and i got ball diffs!! I use 23/61 or 23/58
Old 07-30-2010, 08:06 AM   #1868
Tech Apprentice

Post Help needed

Hi all,
i recently bought a TT-01E and i was wondering if there are some good hop ups to start with?

Also i have my charger 'Team Orion' (brand new only used twice) and my dog chewed the chord near the plug.... is there a way to fix it?? what do i do??

Please help!

Thanks
LachlanWinten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:59 AM   #1869
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to RatsacK

Hey guys. Need some help. Done a few things to my TT01 including the 3Racing v2 chassis, v2 alum damper kit, front one-way, locked rear diff, alum drive shaft and bearings throughout. Anyway, I've just purchased some new wheels for it. But, what is "shore"?
Spektrum DX3C
RatsacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:16 AM   #1870
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatsacK View Post
Hey guys. Need some help. Done a few things to my TT01 including the 3Racing v2 chassis, v2 alum damper kit, front one-way, locked rear diff, alum drive shaft and bearings throughout. Anyway, I've just purchased some new wheels for it. But, what is "shore"?
Shore is the hardness of the tire. Low number = soft. High number = hard. Use soft tires in cold temps, low grip, tight technical tracks. Hard tires for the opposite. Sounds like you are setting your care up for drifting which I know nothing about except that you want very little traction. The tires are almost like hard plastic. Not shore rating applies to that.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:18 AM   #1871
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LachlanWinten View Post
Hi all,
i recently bought a TT-01E and i was wondering if there are some good hop ups to start with?

Also i have my charger 'Team Orion' (brand new only used twice) and my dog chewed the chord near the plug.... is there a way to fix it?? what do i do??

Please help!

Thanks
What do you plan to do with your TT-01?

Which plug got chewed?
Old 07-31-2010, 05:37 AM   #1872
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to RatsacK

Quote:
Shore is the hardness of the tire. Low number = soft. High number = hard. Use soft tires in cold temps, low grip, tight technical tracks. Hard tires for the opposite. Sounds like you are setting your care up for drifting which I know nothing about except that you want very little traction. The tires are almost like hard plastic. Not shore rating applies to that.
It's going to be mainly used for drift. But, I may use it every now and then for on the track with mates. The car has enough power to drift on foams anyway Will the front one-way help for drifting or not at all? I know it helps for the track (cornering).
Spektrum DX3C
RatsacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:46 PM   #1873
Tech Regular

I can't really help you. I have never had a drift car. I race on carpet and have never used a one way or spool.

However, if you want to get your car on the track and do some racing, I can help with that set-up. Go here to see some of our TT-01 race class:

http://www.michiganrc.net/forums/vie....php?f=4&t=160

It's hard to tell what's what so in the last photo, left to right:
TT-01, TC-3, TT-01, TA-05, TT-01, TT-01, TA-05v2, TT-01, TT-01, TT-01, TT-01
Old 08-01-2010, 12:05 AM   #1874
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
What do you plan to do with your TT-01?

Which plug got chewed?
Um i am planning to race my rc like touring.

OK so you know how on the battery there are the two thick chord that leadt to the plug at the end. the red chord about 1 cm from where the plug is and also the plug. the black chord is fine.

thanks.
LachlanWinten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:39 AM   #1875
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (94%+)

How can I make my TT-01 have a taller battery tray. Can you get extenders for the battery strap posts?