R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-14-2009, 07:05 AM   #1621
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of building out my TT-01. The plan is to run this car in the Senior Spec race series this Fall at my local track (The Coliseum at Hobbytown, Frederick, MD).

I wanted to get some feedback on a particular area of the build. The front and rear axles has what I consider to be excessive play. I'm seeing atleast 1.5mm to 2mm of play between the hub and the outer bearing. Is this normal? I would need 5mm spacers in .5mm/1mm/1.5mm/2mm increments to eliminate the play. I am using the Tamiya TT-01 Ball Bearing hop ups and followed the instructions per the manual.

Thanks.

-John
John.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:41 AM   #1622
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by double_green View Post
Hi guys,

I'm in the process of building out my TT-01. The plan is to run this car in the Senior Spec race series this Fall at my local track (The Coliseum at Hobbytown, Frederick, MD).

I wanted to get some feedback on a particular area of the build. The front and rear axles has what I consider to be excessive play. I'm seeing atleast 1.5mm to 2mm of play between the hub and the outer bearing. Is this normal? I would need 5mm spacers in .5mm/1mm/1.5mm/2mm increments to eliminate the play. I am using the Tamiya TT-01 Ball Bearing hop ups and followed the instructions per the manual.

Thanks.

-John
Hey John, Its normal to have excessive play in tt01. Beleive it or not it works better that way. You will see every one elses cars on saturdays the same way. Dont try to eliminate the slop or you will cause binding. It will be fine. I was amazed my first time racing senior spec, I talked to one of the "fast" guys and he showed me his car, so loose I thought it looked crazy. It works. See you Thursday.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:49 AM   #1623
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDI 0000 View Post
Hey John, Its normal to have excessive play in tt01. Beleive it or not it works better that way. You will see every one elses cars on saturdays the same way. Dont try to eliminate the slop or you will cause binding. It will be fine. I was amazed my first time racing senior spec, I talked to one of the "fast" guys and he showed me his car, so loose I thought it looked crazy. It works. See you Thursday.
That's good to hear. I have to remedy my shock length issue now. I bought a TRF (the older silver one) and noticed that I won't get the appropriate ride height (5mm or so). I recall Larry mentioning something about a stopper. Hopefully he'll be there this Saturday.

-John
Old 10-14-2009, 08:54 AM   #1624
Tech Adept

Quote:
That's good to hear. I have to remedy my shock length issue now. I bought a TRF (the older silver one) and noticed that I won't get the appropriate ride height (5mm or so). I recall Larry mentioning something about a stopper. Hopefully he'll be there this Saturday.

-John
As far as I know, everyone uses the CVA Super Mini shocks (for mini chassis). Thats also what I have, perfect ride height. They talk about it in this thread somewhere. The TRF shocks are to long, Unless they are for the M chassis cars. You can put extra o rings inside the shock to shorten its length, But you wont get it right with out the super mini shocks. I tried, I purchased "mini shocks" not "super mini", too long, doesnt work. Good luck.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:17 AM   #1625
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:

-John

Actually, I only ran the CVA Super Mini shocks one weekend. I prefer the adjustability provided by the threaded shocks. For our SS cars you want a fully extended shock length of 56 or 57mm. I use the TRF shocks (special black on my SS car, and older silver colored ones on the Loaner SS car). I placed a 5 mm spacer http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTHZ4&P=7 on the shock shaft inside the shock body, and use the short springs (blue front, yellow rear).

I plan to be at the C on Saturday. I'll be racing SS and Mini.
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:37 AM   #1626
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

That's good advice, Larry. I've used older blue long TRF shocks for the past year with internal spacers that limit shock length to about 55mm end to end. With 4-5mm ride height, that gives just the right amount of droop.

The Super Mini shocks (either TRF of plastic) work just fine, too. It's the long plastic sedan shocks that don;t seem to work well because the shock body is too long.

RED DOT MOTORS- Fastest Titan 12T and silver can 540 motors in the known galaxy!
rccardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:51 AM   #1627
Tech Master

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice. The spacer to limit and reduce the overall length looks like a great work around. I'll look to purchase this and the shorter springs to rbuild the shocks to the lengths that were mentioned.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:18 AM   #1628
Tech Adept

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the helpful advice. The spacer to limit and reduce the overall length looks like a great work around. I'll look to purchase this and the shorter springs to rbuild the shocks to the lengths that were mentioned.
Anytime Double Green. Hope it helps. The Tech Masters definetly know more than I. Iam still a newb too. I will bring my TT01 with me thursday also. I have a set of the shorter springs Iam not using, but they may be too stiff, I think they are a pair of blue, a pair of white (they were given to me with my used SS car).Take it easy.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:34 PM   #1629
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDI 0000 View Post
Anytime Double Green. Hope it helps. The Tech Masters definetly know more than I. Iam still a newb too. I will bring my TT01 with me thursday also. I have a set of the shorter springs Iam not using, but they may be too stiff, I think they are a pair of blue, a pair of white (they were given to me with my used SS car).Take it easy.
Blue is good for the front, and yellow for rear.
billb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:52 PM   #1630
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardr View Post
That's good advice, Larry. I've used older blue long TRF shocks for the past year with internal spacers that limit shock length to about 55mm end to end. With 4-5mm ride height, that gives just the right amount of droop.

The Super Mini shocks (either TRF of plastic) work just fine, too. It's the long plastic sedan shocks that don;t seem to work well because the shock body is too long.
Hey Doc. I used the 55 mm end to end shock length until we went to the Jaco Blue wheels which are smaller than the HPI X-Pattern we used to use. I do agree that 4-5mm ride height is the ticket.

Double-green: In the SS TT01 class, "excessive play" IS your friend.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:55 PM   #1631
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I had a friend running the regular TT-01 which wouldn't drive straight. He'd adjust the trim, then run a few laps ok and the car would start to veer the other way. Would this "magical slop" be causing this? Or maybe the servo saver?
Old 10-14-2009, 06:57 PM   #1632
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchy View Post
I had a friend running the regular TT-01 which wouldn't drive straight. He'd adjust the trim, then run a few laps ok and the car would start to veer the other way. Would this "magical slop" be causing this? Or maybe the servo saver?
I can't say what is causing the problem with your friend's car, but it's not because of "slop", or excessive play inherent in the TT01's design.

Your friend should check:
- servo
- binding in the steering links
- binding in the kingpin screws

The TT01 is an inexpensive, beginners chassis. No doubt about that. IMO, though, it is also a solid design, durable and race worthy chassis...

I have built at least 6 TT01's and have been able to set them up to track straight.

In a spec class like the one we run where all the chassis are TT01, the hop-ups are limited and the motors are handouts, the TT01 is the perfect chassis for beginners and experienced racers that want to have fun, and race on an even playing field without spending a whole lot of money.

"It is, what it iS"
Old 10-14-2009, 10:49 PM   #1633
MD
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Geppetto - I love the idea of the spec class. We tried to get it going this summer and it didn't catch on. But, we may try again.
MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:26 PM   #1634
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geppetto View Post
I can't say what is causing the problem with your friend's car, but it's not because of "slop", or excessive play inherent in the TT01's design.

Your friend should check:
- servo
- binding in the steering links
- binding in the kingpin screws

The TT01 is an inexpensive, beginners chassis. No doubt about that. IMO, though, it is also a solid design, durable and race worthy chassis...

I have built at least 6 TT01's and have been able to set them up to track straight.

In a spec class like the one we run where all the chassis are TT01, the hop-ups are limited and the motors are handouts, the TT01 is the perfect chassis for beginners and experienced racers that want to have fun, and race on an even playing field without spending a whole lot of money.

"It is, what it iS"
Thanks for the tips Geppetto. I will check those things. Even though I run an IFS-R and a TF-5, I was so impressed with the TT-01's simple and durable design, I bought a TT-01E to play around with. On the surface, the new steering system looks to be much improved.

Back to the regular TT-01, so you think the aluminum steering set would help anything? Not just for the sake of hopping up, but it does look like a more precise part.

On your spec racing, do you use silver cans? If so, you allow the super duper silver cans out there or if you don't, how do you "police" it?
Old 10-15-2009, 04:57 AM   #1635
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I recently purchased the Tamiya adjustable upper arms for my TT01 so I can run some camber on my front wheels. I've installed them and now have the camber I wanted, but it made the front wheels have significant toe in (which I definitely don't want).

What are my options?
Timbulb is offline   Reply With Quote