Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Driving - Practice Theory

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 03:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That reaction tester is a whole lot of fun, very addictive.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SpeedBump57
Where did you get this device? I assume it is a usb device that hooks up to your RX!

Thanks for your help
Scott
Serpent discontinued it years ago... As far as I remember it is not an USB device (it was designed befre the USB show up), but connects through the midi/game port.

The VRC usb adapter is the easiest way to go and it also hooks up to your receiver
Old 12-24-2005, 07:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

e

Last edited by Khan48; 07-21-2014 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:22 PM
Tech Elite

practice makes perfect
Old 12-24-2005, 09:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Not to shabby....
Attached Thumbnails Driving - Practice Theory-reaction.jpg   Driving - Practice Theory-reaction1.jpg  
Old 12-25-2005, 11:57 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Back to the subject..Practice,I own a track and we are open every wednesday for practice.On the average we get 2 to 3 guys that come out and practice and I'm one of them.One of the guys that does come out and practice has improved his lap times and amount of laps enough that he has moved up from sportsman to expert,For you guys that are not that good yet my advice is to practice safe,By that i mean don't try to cut the corners like the fast guys do,drive a safe line,If you are always repairing your car your NOT practicing..When I first go to a new track this is what i do for the first few minutes,Learn the flow then pick up the speed.At my local track I am one of the fast guys and for me I practice enough to know how hard I can push my car without making to many mistakes,I do feel that another part of practicing is trying different set ups,this helps prepair you for different conditions and different tracks.One of the keys to practice is knowing lap times,My track uses RC Scoring Pro and it Does have a practice feature in it. I know how much of an improvement(or not)I made.Practice smart and it will pay off.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:09 PM
Tech Regular

My very first time doing the reaction/screen color change test thing I got a .016 time....got lucky...was like it should change anytime now and let go of button at "right time". My real best time are .18's.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I'm here to give you all, the one time, works every time, key to driving better.

Find a good painter and give him $100-$150 of your hard earned money for a body.

When "save the body" starts running through your mind, you make EXCELLENT on track decisions.

True story.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Find a good painter and give him $100-$150 of your hard earned money for a body.
i probably wont take that chance.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:52 AM
Tech Champion

I have raced for the best part of 13 years (with a small gap inbetween) and these are the best things I have learnt, bearing in mind it might not suit everyone. Maybe this stuff's already been suggested, ive not read through this topic.

1) I was lucky to have a mentor in my earlier years, so if I wasnt sure about something i'd ask them. It doesnt matter if youve been racing for 10 days or 10 years, everyone has to learn.

2) No matter how many races you win over confidence is a bad,bad thing to have... It can turn a good racer into a nobody overnight. Learn you'll have someone beat you sooner or later.

3) Dont let r/c take over your life unless you want it to. Devote only the time you have "spare". Spare doesnt meen drilling out a brush at 11pm and your wifes asking you what time are you going to bed... And yes this has happened to me once

4) I use the first race as a practice, as there is a good chance you dont set your fastest time then, neither are grip levels usually at a premium.

The one time I did practice before a race I crashed, snapped a upright and nearly didnt have time to get in the first qualifying round Live and learn - But you might not want to consider this if you change your venues/race surface often.

5) Setup. Only use someone elses setup if you think it will work for YOU. If you dont feel confident it will work try the stock setup first.. then either try incorporating parts of their setup into the stock setup or try theirs.

Local knowledge and a basic understanding of setup are key to getting a car to hook up, but so is consistancy.

6) Have fun and walk away from negative vibes, or stand up to them. Lifes too short to put up with hassle, make a choice and act on it
Old 03-05-2007, 11:48 AM
Tech Adept

newbie question here.is it really necessary to use brakes?
Old 03-05-2007, 11:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by civiceg
newbie question here.is it really necessary to use brakes?
For Stock? Nope. Not unless you are losing control or about to hit someone/something. Most of the time it is just a blip of the trigger (full power to nuetral to full power) to help pivot the car.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Well I'm no expert and glad this thread is around to read... but here are the things that have helped me the most.

1) Practice fast... gear up a little faster than you would normally run to get used to more speed. Then gear back down a little when you race and the race will be easy because its like slo-mo. Not big jumps so your set up doesn't get thrown off.

2) Slow down.. I know this is a contradiction with #1 but with a lap timer on I've found that when I slow down I often run faster laps. Helps you to balance the speed/correct line... I think it also helps get rid of the point and shoot mentality. So slow down a few laps to concentrate on the correct line then back to speed,, slow down a little to get the line back.... speed again... you get the drill.

3) Rubber tires... I know it may not be feasible to switch just for practice but my skill level increased much faster running rubber tire. I ran rubber for several months and then switched back to foams for an enduro and it was amazing how much faster I was and how easy it was to drive. Watch guys on rubber tires and its amazing how much they slow down to keep that line rather than blasting in on foams and hope the car holds the line.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (98%+)

the main factors mentioned in the forum so far are:

1-consistency

2-driving lines

3-throttle control

4-practice

5-get help from fast guys

all of these factors boil down to getting help from faster drivers than you because consistency comes from good driving lines and throttle control. well those fast guys are either to busy or don't have the patience because us slower guys aren't able to understand the first time explained. as we all see in this thread the pro's aren't posting.
i am persistently after the throttle control system as i call it (when to let off and how much to let off for chicanes, hairpins, sweepers and all other types of turns) but all i get is you just have to drive. the fast guys have been doing it so long that it's like second nature. if us slower guys had someone to explain this in detail i'm sure it would help us be consistant and much faster because racing is all about the driving line and throttle. then we would be able to experiment with car settings. i am always within 1 second of my lap times but i feel i can't keep a consistant line and i'm 2 laps behind the fastest guy. also under pressure i really make mistakes.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer
I'm here to give you all, the one time, works every time, key to driving better.

When "save the body" starts running through your mind, you make EXCELLENT on track decisions.

True story.
Excellent idea.... I see your point very clear.

I start my day on any track, new or the same old one, with running in the middle of the track, and then start work into the run line for the race... This allows me to feel out the car and the setup and the track.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.