Here are some things I've complied (ignore references to jumps and off road and sub in on road car):
Practice with other cars as much as possible. Learn to follow slower cars without touching that car. Learn where you can pass on the track. Donít try to pass over a jump, itís too risky. Also practice by yourself until you can drive a smooth consistent line without going wide in the corner, land on the downside of every jump and then learn to do it traffic.
1: use the lap timer on your radio, write down the times after, compare your times to the last race times there; also concentrate on getting the lap times not as fast as possible, but as even as possible. At the fall series (off road) track a 24 was a great time but if your next lap was a 30, a guy turning a 26 and 26 would be faster.
ractice from the drivers stand and marshall your own car, you'll get real tired of up going up and down the stairs if you are your own marshall (you'll be really motivated to not crash), plus running up and down can simulate race jitters.
Making changes to your car:
1: Do it half as much as you want to. If the car is different every time you drive it, you'll never get a feel for what it'll do at any given time or situation. You must adapt your driving style to fit the conditions, the car cannot be perfect everywhere. If it's good for 90% of the track don't go crazy trying to get that other 10% of the track just right. Getting that other 10% might just tune out some of the other 90%, and your back where you started or worse.
2: Keep it simple. Don't go out and buy the latest greatest Al/Ti/graphite/radio bit for your ride unless it's an absolute guarantee that it will improve your lap times or reliability. You'll save time and money better spent on practice and consumables like tires or motor brushes.
Mental/Physical prep for race day:
1: no alcohol the night before
2: good sleep the night before
3: eat a good and/or filling breakfast
4: regulate your self chemically, take your prescriptions, eat enough so that you don't get low blood sugar, don't drink too much caffiene, if you smoke, get enough to not get fits but not so much that it slows you down
5: eat lunch
6: go to the bathroom before your mains
7: mentally prep for YOUR race, don't get into what others are doing, focus on your car and your race plan; visualize how the race will go, from the start to the middle where you'll deal with traffic or fight for positions, and then getting to the finish line
8: be happy knowing you did your best no matter where you finished