Community
Wiki Posts
Search

For those who believe that you can't use telemetry systems while racing:

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 04:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default For those who believe that you can't use telemetry systems while racing:

5.2.3 The use of traction control sensing devices, active suspension devices, and steering control devices aided by gyroscopes or accelerometers (G-force sensors) of any kind is strictly prohibited. Sensors may be used for the purpose of passive data recording but not for adjusting the performance of the vehicle while in motion.
Since Spektrum, Nomadio and EagleTree only use passive data recording telemetry systems, there should be no problem using them at any ROAR sanctioned event.

Just thought I'd help clear any problems.

-Frank
Old 12-07-2005, 12:13 PM
Tech Initiate

The spectrum telemetry is real time data transmission and not recording as I have asked one of the Horizon reps at a hobby show. And I previously recall seeing a post about the rule saying there can only be data sent from the transmitter to the receiver (controller to car) and not the other way around (car to controller).

I am not sure on what the rule is. Can somebody confirm?
Old 12-07-2005, 12:20 PM
Tech Elite

Would it be possible to relay that info to a computer during the race, and have a pit man change your throttle settings and braking profiles during the run?
Old 12-07-2005, 12:54 PM
Tech Initiate

I guess it would be possible to relay the spectrum telemetry to a computer... maybe as an optional module later on??? but the eagle tree one and for sure can hook up to a computer.

But anyways... even without the computer, you can probably put a servo on the 3rd channel to contol an engine's mixture needle and have a pit man tell you when to change settings when he sees something wrong with the data feedback.

So I think the point of the rule is to ban real time data transmission from the car to the pits or the driver. I am not sure what the exact rule is against this but if somebody could post the exact wording of the rule, it would be great to have a look and discuss.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I don't think the purpose of the rule is to ban real-time transmission to the pits (or even your transmitter). I remember the rule stating that your reciever can't send info to the transmitter, but in recent review of the rules, it looks like they may have removed it.

The purpose of the rule is to prevent using your telemetry to adjust fuel mixture (or suspension settings, etc.) while the car is in motion. However, it wouldn't prohibit your pit person from changing the needle mixture while the car is in the pits for fuel.

Oh, and Asurada Sugo, I did post the exact wording to the rule.

The way the rule is worded, it still wouldn't prohibit the Spektrum or Nomadio telemetry systems, because they aren't used to actively adjust your car while it is in motion. And even though the information is presented in real time, it is only used for passive data recording, albeit manually (instead of within a self contained recording device). This rule has no bearing on adjusting your transmitter settings while the car is in motion.

-Frank