Wiki Posts
Search

700$...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 08:22 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by joey2*41/4
race ready, they cost that much? jeEEZ!

do i just go to www.xray.com to see where to get it? more descriptions would be neeto!
rc is a great hobby but can be very expensive if you want to get competitive. the price of the car is nothing compare to the price of the equipments you going to need to build, maintain and run your car. here is a shopping list for you.

car = $400
body/paint = $30
esc = $150
servo = $100
motor = $30 (stock) $40-$60 (modified)
tires/wheels = $20 - $35
batteries = $40 - $70 a pack (one pack = 2 runs/day) you need more than 1
radio = you want the best of the best car so u want best of the best radio $250 - $350
charger = $119.99 - $500
power supply = $70 = $300
equalizer = $70 - $100
soldering iron = $70 - $100+

those are the things you need to RUN your car. then theres....

tools, tool box, spare parts.........

if you are just starting out and money is tight, i suggest getting a RTR (ready to run) car and go from there.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:30 PM
Tech Regular

Buy your 1st car 2nd hand, even better if its a package , ready to race.

You should find the top local guys getting out of last years chassis at a good price.

There will be a few xray 05's going cheap soon, as it seems Xray is becoming a prolific breeder lol
Old 12-04-2005, 08:34 PM
Tech Elite

You can/should buy most of your things used. You can get a used car that retails for 400 for 250 on this site. You can buy a used M8 radio for very cheap. A mid to high priced esc will work fine. Find a used Reedy Quasar charger.

New:
Tires
Body
Motor
Batteries

Used:
Radio
Car
Charger
ESC
Servo
tools.

You can save tons of money, and have plenty left over for tires and entry fees. Don't let some of these guys fool you into thinking that you can't have a competitive racing setup for less than $700. IT CAN BE DONE!!!!!!
Old 12-04-2005, 08:56 PM
Tech Elite

Used is probably the best way to go, especially with that budget. Just starting out, you're going to hit a lot of pipes, and generally put a lot more wear on your equipment than someone who has some experience. By the time you had enough races under your belt to be competitive, a new car would likely be in pretty poor shape anyway. Might as well go for a used car - a used Xray FK05 is a good recommendation, that will likely still be in very good condition if you buy from the right people.

A used M8 is also a great recommendation. I still use an M8, as do many other racers. It was the most popular radio in RC for years, and has only recently been replaced. Ultimately before buying a radio however, try to hold a few different models and see which feels most comfortable to you.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

If you get something used just make sure you have someone show you how to check over the car and make sure it is tight. Even if you do get a used ride you may have to rebuild the shocks, diffs, and ect. However all of these things will not burn holes in your wallet.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I suggest going 12th scale. It's half the price to race compared to 10th scale touring, and it's all the fun. Plus, if you can drive 12th, you can drive anything.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I would suggest buying most of your stuff here on rc-tech you'll save tons and I have always (99% ) had a great experience. The Xrays are selling for dirt cheap right now, M8 is a great radio that can be had for cheap , there are a few Novak GTX or LRP QC2 speed controls out there for a good deal, as for chargers I like the LRP Pulsar, MMR cell master or the Duratrax Ice seems good and people are saying good things, There is always some very good IB 3800's for sale as well.
Here are a few links to check out.
Lrp Charger

Xray Fk05

Lots of stuff ( radio's, ESC's ect.)

I don't know any of these sellers or have anything to do with them they are just examples I found.