Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Servos [email protected]

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2002, 07:47 PM
Tech Initiate

Is it harmful to run servos above their designated voltages? I see servo specs listed at 4.8v, 6.0v and 7.2v and the 7.2v seems to be much faster/stronger. My ESC has a 7.2v lead for FET servos, can I use this for any digital servo? I've got a futaba 7450 and 7550.
Old 11-04-2002, 03:39 AM
Tech Elite

The 7.2v lead is only for servo's with a seperate FET wire, as far as I know only KO make such servo's.

Running other servo's off a greater than 6v supply runs the risk of damage - and with high-end futaba servo's, which are already very high performance, and expensive, it's not worth it.
Old 11-04-2002, 05:23 AM
Tech Adept

I had 1 year's hard racing with a Hitec 6.0v servo in my Xray with no problems, and have had no trouble with a KO PDS-2244 in there either.

I wouldn't try a 4.8v one though...
Old 11-04-2002, 09:50 AM
Tech Elite

Default 7.2v Servos

I personally don't see any benefit in running FET servos. The newest Digital servos from any of the radio makers will equal or out perform any of the FET servos that I've seen offered for sale.
At the club tracks that I race at, I've have not met anyone who uses a FET servo on their car. Everone I race with uses Digital servos and they work great.
Also I you have or get a computer radio. Get the fastest digital model servo that the manufacturer (of you choice) makes. It really make a difference on how the car drives. I feel it is actually much easier to drive with a high speed servo (.07-.10) than a a standard speed (.13-.18) servo. Use the expo on the radio to dial out some of the twitchiness on the straights.

Good racing,