Wiki Posts
Search

tire truers

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2002, 03:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default tire truers

hey guys i race carpet alot so i was thinking of getting the ofna automatic truer next month. any comments on it would be appreciated.
Old 11-12-2002, 03:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I wouldn't get one, they are junk. They might look like a Hudy, works like a Hudy, but don't last. I have seen a couple of them no working just after a year. Save up for a Hudy, I have seen Hudy truers around that are 5 years old and still working perfectly.
Old 11-12-2002, 05:00 PM
Tech Regular

I and many fellow racers have owned ofna automatic truers and have no problems whatsoever for the longest time. They work really well and definately a better deal than the hudy considering your getting the same features for half the cost.

litespeed-dom- What makes you think the hudy lasts longer? The only thing that could possibly wear out in these things is the 12v motor and I don't think the hudy will last 5 times longer. I have also seen ofna truers 5 years old and still work well. Its not like were comparing lathes here, where the hudy has a diamond bit vs a carbide bit.
Old 11-12-2002, 05:13 PM
Tech Regular

The life of the lathe all depends on how you treat it!!! If you are cutting away alot of rubber with a dull blade it will not last long. It will put alot of undo stress on the motor thus burning it up. Keep your blade sharp and watch how much rubber you remove on those harder compound tires. Also make sure that the voltage you are suppling is within the specs of the unit.(not enough voltage will cause extra stress as well. I would also ask you to take a look at the Corally Automatic tire truer as well. You can see it at corallyusa.com It is alot like the ofna. You want a truer that will cut the tire and not grind it away like some of the other truers on the market. Most of us do not like to wear the tire that we are trying to make smaller

Jeff Antle
Team Corally U.S.A
Old 11-12-2002, 05:26 PM
Tech Master

ok thanks guys