Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Longer TC Races... >

Longer TC Races...

Longer TC Races...

Old 12-05-2005, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Mr. Shookie
Because the added mah lets the MOD guys run lower turns and still make runtime hense making the cars faster. I still have seen some 3700's dump in a MOD race. That is why.
IF you run stock and or 19T than you can stay with the 3300's and 3000's heck they still have really good punch. But I like the new cells for there punch throughout the entire discharge curve, regardless if it is a short discharge curve or a long one.

<
The 3700's and 3800's help out both classes. The average of the newest cells have the voltages that only the team drivers could ever see in a 3300. More punch in stock and 19t and more runtime in modified.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Twin 1 Kevin
An extra minute doesn't add that much time to the races. Even the big ones. Do the math. Cleveland this year had 51 heats. Around half were TC heats. An extra minute would add 25 min per round. 4 rounds...extra 1 1/2 hours for the entire 4 rounds. This time could be made up over the two days. The mains on Sunday...We spent ALOT of time between some rounds. The extra 25 min. would not be an issue.

Everyone TUNES to 5 mins.

Everyone KNOWS HOW TO TUNE to 6 min.

6 Min. would not be a problem!!
I only run stock, but what exactly would you do to tune a motor for 6 minutes vs 5 minutes. With todays batts I really do not see a difference at the end of a run. Maybe a one tooth change?
Old 12-05-2005, 02:05 PM
Tech Champion

on board super cooler powered by a spud.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:52 AM
Tech Adept

This just adds fuel to my question...
How many new cells does that make this year?
WHATS THE POINT IF WE STILL ONLY RUN 5MIN RACES!!!!
Old 12-07-2005, 09:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Twin-Kyle
This just adds fuel to my question...
How many new cells does that make this year?
WHATS THE POINT IF WE STILL ONLY RUN 5MIN RACES!!!!
so true.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:13 PM
Tech Regular

If you use the logic of the batteries have more capacity so we can run longer races, you can always have used in the past that you can always run less mtoor and make longer run times. Instead of a 7 turn you could run a 14 turn and make 8 minutes with 3000's. One piece of equipment does not dictate the race time. How often do you rebuild your touring car to remove the slop in it now? About once a month right(real die hard racers). Increase the race length and you rebuild your car more often because you are putting more race time in a shorter span(3 weeks instead of 4), motors as well(you buy a new motor every 8 weeks because you have to cut it so often, now your buying new motors every 6 weeks because you cutting even more often, yes I know brushless has no maintenance but the majority of racers still prefer brushed motors because they are faster). You buy new batteries every 6 months, not you have tobuy new ones every 4 because your putting more time on them each weekend.

Once again, how many people who want longer races actually attend races outside their own state or at a national level? Get your clubs to change before you try to change others who you do not even race at.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by T. Thomas
If you use the logic of the batteries have more capacity so we can run longer races, you can always have used in the past that you can always run less mtoor and make longer run times. Instead of a 7 turn you could run a 14 turn and make 8 minutes with 3000's. One piece of equipment does not dictate the race time. How often do you rebuild your touring car to remove the slop in it now? About once a month right(real die hard racers). Increase the race length and you rebuild your car more often because you are putting more race time in a shorter span(3 weeks instead of 4), motors as well(you buy a new motor every 8 weeks because you have to cut it so often, now your buying new motors every 6 weeks because you cutting even more often, yes I know brushless has no maintenance but the majority of racers still prefer brushed motors because they are faster). You buy new batteries every 6 months, not you have tobuy new ones every 4 because your putting more time on them each weekend.

Once again, how many people who want longer races actually attend races outside their own state or at a national level? Get your clubs to change before you try to change others who you do not even race at.
Give me a break man, just because you don't wanna rebuild your stuff doesn't mean we shouldn't have 1 extra minute of racing. It's only 4 more minutes of running per race day, figure you race once a week, thats only 16 more minutes of racing a month. I do that in two practice runs. Comon, if thats your strongest argument, then I wouldn't have even bothered posting. I still don't get why we can't go 1 more minute of racing. We did it when 2000's came out from 4 to 5 minutes, why not now?!
Old 12-07-2005, 01:34 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Scott S
Give me a break man, just because you don't wanna rebuild your stuff doesn't mean we shouldn't have 1 extra minute of racing. It's only 4 more minutes of running per race day, figure you race once a week, thats only 16 more minutes of racing a month. I do that in two practice runs. Comon, if thats your strongest argument, then I wouldn't have even bothered posting. I still don't get why we can't go 1 more minute of racing. We did it when 2000's came out from 4 to 5 minutes, why not now?!

That sure was an esy way to distrack from the point being made. People are already saying it costs too much for new people to get into this hobby, all this will do is increase the cost of racing. Does that clear it up for you? Ad for the arguement of why not just 1 more minute, why wasn't this argued back when it went from 2000's to 2400's or 2400's to 3000's. IT is the same exact thing, the batteries could handle the jump from 5 to 6 minutes then. Why is it all of a sudden the strongest reason to increase the races. If the races increased everytime someone felt the batteries were improved and can make the run time, we would already be running 10 minute stock races. Can you come up with a better reason to why the races should be increased other than the batteries can make run time?
Old 12-07-2005, 01:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Can you come up with a better reason to why the races should be increased other than the batteries can make run time?
Yep,

More run time on the track means more fun racing my RC car!!
Old 12-07-2005, 01:42 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ddesros2
Yep,

More run time on the track means more fun racing my RC car!!
This to me is a better reason to push for longer races, then use the other points of the batteries are able to do it as to support this stand.

Goodern, I respect this line of thought.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:45 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

People are looking for longer races because they want more track time. Recently my track went from 3 to 4 rounds of qualifying because racers wanted to race more (by the way Scott I still don't like it).

Ask nitro racers what they like the most about nitro racing and most will answer longer races.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

That sure was an esy way to distrack from the point being made. People are already saying it costs too much for new people to get into this hobby, all this will do is increase the cost of racing. Does that clear it up for you? Ad for the arguement of why not just 1 more minute, why wasn't this argued back when it went from 2000's to 2400's or 2400's to 3000's. IT is the same exact thing, the batteries could handle the jump from 5 to 6 minutes then. Why is it all of a sudden the strongest reason to increase the races. If the races increased everytime someone felt the batteries were improved and can make the run time, we would already be running 10 minute stock races. Can you come up with a better reason to why the races should be increased other than the batteries can make run time?
WORD....
Plus lets add this up...
16mintues extra per month or one extra race per week.
Here is where I will try to may those who are for the longer races try to understand those who don't want the longer races...Oh and by the way great thread...lots of ideas...
Plain and simple.
MONEY...
I am average racer...I am stll learning and getting faster.
Here is what I have learned.
You Motor requires maintance constantly....why cause Heat and Usage casue the motor to loose its efficiancy. I.E. you brushes are making power for each run...OK...
SO that is at least $3.00 for a new set of brushes per week minimum. For the more Hard Core thats $9.00 per week One set every run...add even one minute the total brush life is going to go down to minimum two pair per week.
Now lets talk tires...
A brand new set of lets say Sorex 36R's (why cause that is what I use most)
Now you get a round 6-7 concistant runs on set of 36R's before the lap times really start to fall off.
So maybe one set every two weeks. So thats $45.00-$50.00 Wheels, inserts and tires. Add even three to four minutes a week to that and your tires now are only good for 4-runs...
Now comes the batteries. They usally get around 20 cycles before they start to loose there brand new feel or proformace...
That is one to three charges per week, depending how much you race.
SO that $65.00-$89.00 pack lasts roughly 6-18 weeks....I buy three at time as to keep them on the same cycle befor ethey become practice packs.
Add another minute to that might not hurt the cells but it will everything else.
So you add up the costs already...
Now you want to add longer races to an already cash strapped hobby.
Do it at your local track. Heck here they are still run 4 min heats for the novice and intermediate guys because the fastest guy usally is already far enough ahead to make it any longer.
I am sorry if you take offence.
I am happy enough with the 15-30 minutes of racing I do a week/every two weeks..depends on the schedule.
If you want to add that much more wear on your gear go for it. But you are in the minority, I can promise you that.
Oh and I still see people dump with 3800's and 6T's heck I can not wait till they are running 4-5 turn motors..Mucho Rapidia....
-Shookie <><
Old 12-07-2005, 03:04 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Mr. Shookie
-Stock is for Novice and intermediate...
is that an offical rule or something, cause when i look at the list of "STOCK" national champions i'm not finding to many novices or intermediates
Old 12-07-2005, 03:21 PM
Tech Elite

well after reading all of this i have decided to just gear the crap outta my car go like hell and only run 4 minutes of a 5 minute race. that way i can save the wear and tear on my equipment.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:37 PM
Tech Master

This to me is a better reason to push for longer races, then use the other points of the batteries are able to do it as to support this stand.

Goodern, I respect this line of thought.
Wow, I posted that on the first page. If your not going to read all the posts and all of the arguments, then I consider your opinions null and void.
I posted that and nobody seemed to consider it a reasonable argument, so I went on to another aspect of longer races. Now we're just going in circles.

One of the main reasons I love 1/12th scale is because of the 8 minutes of racing! Ever been in an extremely close race, a "train" so to speak, for almost an entire 8 minutes of racing? It really gets your heart going! With touring cars, granted you can have a great race in 5 minutes, but you have less time to take over that top spot. With more time, there will be more racing and more position swapping, adding to the fun!

Ad for the arguement of why not just 1 more minute, why wasn't this argued back when it went from 2000's to 2400's or 2400's to 3000's. IT is the same exact thing, the batteries could handle the jump from 5 to 6 minutes then.
It wasn't an option then because 2400's couldn't last another minute. 3000's were on the verge of lasting a good extra minute, but still not quite. 3300's and 3800's will last another minute so why not take advantage of that extra runtime? Not everyone has 3800's, but we all have 3300's, so we should all be able to last 6 minutes now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.