R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-01-2005, 06:27 AM   #1
Tech Rookie
Default School Project... HELP

Ok so I have no past experience with r/c cars except for one of those tyco r/c cars from when i was 9 or so.

I am a freshman and i am working on a project which will be testing about 4 different car bodies in a wind tunnel where i will collect the data. Then i will change some of the factors such as, weight, and body shape to see if it affects the acceleration, and velocity of the cars.

My first question is where could i get a cheap car, which can have its body replaced; It does not need to be a great quality car, this is more about price since i will only use it for this project. The only requirements really would be the ability to change its body, and it must be within a reasonable price.

My Next Question is where could i get one of these cars along with the different body types?

Some of the body types would be like an off-road truck/SUV kind of shape, another would be a stock car body like NASCAR, then the stock body that come with the car, and one other which slips my mind at the moment.
I am assuming that most of these bodies would not easily fit onto my stock chassis. So i am wondering what would i have to do to make them fit, like sand down the pieces that dont fit? Drill holes if necessary.

So if anybody could give me a link to a good store or tips on how to fit these bodies if it is at all possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
HelpPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 06:32 AM   #2
Tech Regular
Send a message via AIM to TouringMaster

Go to ebay. Look for a TC3 or some sort or Tamiya. Or look for a hpi sprint or dash, Those are cheap and easy to find. Hope this helped
TouringMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 08:07 AM   #3
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The cars above should be good for you. You can get bodies at any Hobby People store. For the rang of bodies you're looking for I'd get Protoform bodies. (http://www.prolineracing.com/protoform.html) You can pick what bodies you want and go to a hobby shop and have them order them if they don't stock them. Or you could get them on line from www.towerhobbies.com or www.stormerhobbies.com. Most should fit any 1/10 scale touring car with only minor modifications.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 08:33 PM   #4
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

do you need a chassis if youre testing in a wind tunnel? is it ok if you only test the body?
rc_square24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 08:46 PM   #5
Tech Regular

You do not need a chassis if you are doing body aerodynamic testing.

All you need to do is mount the body at the same height that we mount them on our cars. Yu will also want to cut out of G10 or even LEXAN and under tray that will simulate the chassis. This is to avoid too much air from getting under the car.

Also, youu mention acceleration as one of your parameters...Wind tunnels give you down forces and air flow patterns. In order to figure acceleration yu will get into very complicated issues because the body is not the only factor that affects it.

Stay focused on aerodynamic airflow characteristics. Compare down forces, air flow, clean air floe, turbulent currents, drag, etc... That is what a wind tunnel is used for.

BTW, what tunnel are you using and what data lgging equioment will you be using to take your measurments. I just want to know.

If you need help I will be glad to do so.

I just helped another very nice and smart kid with his science fair project. He compared motors...

BATT_MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 02:16 AM   #6
Tech Adept
Default Wind Tunnel

Hi there,
I am in year nine and have recently completed a similar science assignment that involved testing the aerodynamic efficiency of different shaped models.
I originally wanted to place a full sized radio controlled car into a wind tunnel for testing but realized that this will be too difficult for the following reasons:
1) The diameter of the wind tunnels testing chamber has to be at least twice the width of the test model. If the test chamber is too small then air that leaves the model will 'reflect' off the test chamber walls and create excessive turbulence, thus decreasing the accuracy of your results. However to have a test chamber that adequately accommodates for a 1/10 scale model, you must also have an extremely powerful air propulsion device (fan) so that the air speed in the tunnel is sufficient. I did not have such devices available when I was constructing my wind tunnel, which meant that a smaller diameter test chamber had to be used, subsequently reducing the size of the models that could be tested.
2) For accurate and scientific results you must be able to identify, measure and change any variables in regards to the test model. Because R/C car bodies have so many contours, aero aids and varying dimensions it makes it extremely difficult to identify these variables, making comparisons and conclusions more difficult to formulate.
3) Radio controlled cars are heavy! Compared to most other models tested in smaller wind tunnels, most R/C cars are significantly heavier. This simply means that a more powerful air propulsion device will be required to gain quantifiable data. However, because the test model is heavier it should be less susceptible to turbulence.

An alternative to R/C cars would be to create your own models out of balsa wood. Balsa wood is inexpensive, extremely easy to work with and very light. When I was doing my experiment, I created a base model out of balsa wood that was as un-aerodynamic as possible. I then constructed (out of balsa sheets) small aerodynamic-aids (a front wing, windshield and rear wing). Each aerodynamic aid was simply a triangle that was placed on the appropriate area of the model. I could then simply 'pin' the different aerodynamic aids (each aid was constructed so that the hypotenuse was a different length) to the model. This was not only cost-effective but saved time as well.
If you would like any more info on how I constructed my wind tunnel (I used an open circuit wind tunnel), the creation of test models or my results then please post you email address and I can discuss each matter with you in a greater degree of detail.
NOTE: I apologise if you have sophisticated wind tunnel technology available to you, and if you already have accounted for all the concerns I have raised.
Hope this helps
SNACKPACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 05:14 AM   #7
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I think you could go to your Local Hobby Shop and get a used car for under $100. I got my first car for $78 used at my LHS. If you ask if they could take away all the electronics, you will get it cheaper.
RCSteve93 is offline   Reply With Quote