Wiki Posts
Search

2006 Snowbirds

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 10:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Exclamation

No player for Mac... well, there you go.

I appreciate the effort, its the lack of expertise that sucks.

The site being down, there's NO excuse for that.

Unfortunately, I do own a few PC's. So I have actually seen a few frames of the washed out video from a poor angle and heard the almost scrambled 8Kb audio stream....

Rant complete. On to the races. Good luck. Sorry if I pinched anyone's undies....
Old 02-09-2006, 10:12 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default Behold My Greatness

Originally Posted by G Ace
Hey, if you can do a better job broadcasting a race from a remote location such as a hotel where you have no control over the amount of bandwidth available, and do the whole thing for free, then by all means, go to the next major race and broadcast it to us.

Besides, the video feed does not work on a Mac anyway, so what do you care?
The audio works just fine on Mac, which is the most interesting part. So, we care quite a bit. I've done plenty of streaming audio and video shows from hotels during gaming conventions and it works just fine. The dropouts appear to be coming from the server (not in the hotel) and not caused by the hotel's bandwidth. Either way, if I were producing this show, I'd roll with an EVDO card as a backup so I could provide my own broadband if the hotel's wasn't adequate. You only need to send a single stream out from the source to your server, which should be on a network that can handle the traffic.

I think Nullsoft Video is a fine choice, and Shoutcast has served me well many times in the past. Hopefully, NSV will find some support on the Mac one of these days.

I appreciate the hard work you guys are doing, I know the technical challenges can be great. That said, the website does render poorly in Firefox and Safari, and it doesn't have to be that way. Both those browsers are amazingly capable and standards compliant. It would take very little to make it look right across all browsers, and would benefit everybody.

A link that said "Mac Users, you can't watch the video, but you can listen to the audio. Click here to listen" would be a nice gesture. That link works just fine in iTunes.

Since the site is down, if you plug this URL into WinAmp, you can probably watch the video that way.

http://rcthunder.primcast.com:8740/;stream.nsv

Here's the server stats for the video broadcast server if anybody is interested:

http://rcthunder.primcast.com:8740

Last edited by syndr0me; 02-09-2006 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by FreqETag
Uh oh.... from the now deactivated site...

Error
Sorry, you have reached either a non-existent site or the site has been suspended (or deactivated) due to Disk Space and/or Bandwidth Violation / Exceeded.

Another idiot in charge of running a website.

When will someone with REAL web experience actually do a live event?

Sheesh
another idoit posting on the web and hiding behind a screen name. fyi Mike Boylan is in the web design business. he has been doing his on stuff for years. never had a problem. i guess when you hold the worlds biggest rc car race and you have people world wide looking in problems will come up. If i know Mike and I do this will be fixed asap and won't happen again.

Dave Puliafico
Old 02-09-2006, 10:39 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by davepull
another idoit posting on the web and hiding behind a screen name. fyi Mike Boylan is in the web design business. he has been doing his on stuff for years. never had a problem. i guess when you hold the worlds biggest rc car race and you have people world wide looking in problems will come up. If i know Mike and I do this will be fixed asap and won't happen again.

Dave Puliafico
Someone should tell him that people use web browsers other than IE and computers other than Windows then. I can't think of any client that would pay for a website that doesn't load in all browsers. And frames and black backgrounds? Yea, man, 1996 wants their web design book back.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:46 PM
Tech Master

ok you should have just typed that in german or japanesse because i have no clue what you are talking about. my point if you are going to bash know what you are talking about and man up and sign it. I am sure Mike will fix it asap.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:46 PM
Tech Lord

Again, I don't want to sound ungrateful. Thank you for your hard work, everybody involved in this. I'm listening to the audio of the races constantly and I greatly appreciate your hard work. As a web programmer and web designer and systems administrator and Mac user, I tend to be an elitist about this kind of thing, and a bit snarky at times. :-D

My constructive criticism:

1. Find a host without severe bandwidth limits, there are MANY. I can suggest several if you're interested.

2. A link to the audio feed for people using alternative operating systems would be a nice gesture.

3. The "top 10" link on the results page (possibly handled by someone else) has a neat scrolling thing that isn't displayed right in Firefox and Safari.

4. Having the sounds default to "on" in the chat room is like a cruel joke.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:51 PM
Tech Master

hey man no grips with you. you posted some good stuff. i think lol it's the other fool that got me pissed. lol
Old 02-09-2006, 11:01 PM
Tech Lord

Here's a video to calm everybody down while we wait for the site to come back up. It's not R/C racing, but it's racing!

The Sleeper Wagon
Old 02-09-2006, 11:04 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Here's a video to calm everybody down while we wait for the site to come back up. It's not R/C racing, but it's racing!

The Sleeper Wagon
THAT was good!
Old 02-09-2006, 11:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me

The Sleeper Wagon

Awesome!!!
Old 02-09-2006, 11:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Thanks for the audio via RCThunder.

Night, night!
Old 02-10-2006, 12:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nashrcracer
those are some mod arms from eddie at www.teambr00d.com I was hangin out in his room and got some of there new stuff. like the brush hood alignement tool. and the fan next to it and the heat sink battery gig

U should take a picture of eddieo's pit board.....

i tried to get nash to take a pic of it but he wont,
we have a lot of cool new products here at br00d. most of which we have on us, always trying to go faster.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:21 AM
Tech Rookie

somebody post some pics
Old 02-10-2006, 02:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

here is a link to rc50.com

[URL=http://]
Old 02-10-2006, 05:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

talked to mike about the site. he talked to the server for the vid and audio and that was suppose to be unlimited after he got 350 people on it at one time. and his snowbirds site ran the bandwidth out and he got that upped also. trust me I know about killing bandwidth. vegas and cleveland got my site shut down till I screamed to my hosting company that I still had bandwidth left. so mike said he should be good for the rest of the week. but that could change when the mains start.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.