R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-30-2005, 07:10 AM   #1
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

I have been looking at getting a battery zapper and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the INTEGY XIPP DCX3300 XAPPER BATTERY ZAPPER. If so could you give me a run down on what cells can be used in this machine.
Fraser Coast RC Car Club/FCRCCC
VBC D06 / Xray T4 2013
Yokomo BMax2 ver 2 - Tamiya F104 x1
Sanwa MT-4
woozer71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 07:47 AM   #2
Tech Apprentice

Try this thread: Integy DCX3300 Xapper
modeltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 03:11 PM   #3
Tech Regular

If you want to know more about it please contact me.

We have a brand new one for sale $99.00 We bought it just to do a review on it for an R/C magazine. Its been cycled only 30 times, its in its original box and instructions. I will even honor the Integy warranty on it if you want it.

Some facts about this zapper.

It has a maximum power level of 81 joules (81 watt seconds) at 90 volts.

If you just want to do routine zapping it is ok, for the price it is an OK machine. It uses a mechanical switch, not an electronic one. The battery tray is ok and it does a good job at transfering the energy. It takes approximately 20+ seconds to cycle to full power...
this is a basic zapper. It does have a voltage level indicator, but they do not give you conversion factors to energy (joules) which is what we use to measure the amount of energy that we zap at.

I can provide you with them so that you will know how much energy you are zapping at depending on the voltage setting.

It all depends what you want to do with this zapper...
I will be glad to provide you with as much information.

Axxis Racingdesigns and sells professional zappers, but they start at $3500

If interested you can PM me...

BATT_MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 03:41 PM   #4
Tech Regular

I got a few questions:
Does a Zapper raise the cells performance? And also, is it safe to use?

I don't know much about zapper so I want to know more.
trf_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 05:01 PM   #5
Tech Regular

There are many issues regarding zapping.

If done the right way you can increase the performance of a battery. By how much, that is questionable and very objective. I only go by what our equpment tells me and more important by what the people that use our batteries report to us... However it depends at what you are looking for. Some people just zap to get higher voltage reading right after the zap and this will fade out after a few cycles. If the process is done right, you can actualy improve the overall performance of the battery.

To zap the right way you need to know several factors including the quality of the cell, the IR, and electrode potential. If you know these you can select different zapping levels (energy) to take advantage of the endothermic properties of the cell and alter the internal compsition. This can cause minimal to substantial changes.

Good companies like ProMatch, SMC, Axxis Racing, perform continous R&D to find better ways to zap and have designed and built their own equipment. Zapping s a very generic name...because it can be done in different ways.

Some people say that zapping at higher voltages is better than at lower volyages, but the issue is that you are transfering large amounts of energy at a very fast time (less than 300 miliseconds) Voltage is not realy important as what you are transfering (zaping) is related to joules (or watts per second). It just happens to be that it is easier to design and build a high voltage zapper than a low voltage one...

Is it safe to use...well as long as you know what you are doing it is safe, but precautions need to be taken to avoid accidents. With zappers like the DCX3300 yo do not have to worry as the energy levels are very low compared to what professionals use.

We can take a battery at room temperature and get it up to 170'F within 45 seconds... that shows you the amount of energy that can be delivered. Also, afuuly discharged battery can be zapped multiple times (less than 30 seconds) and thereafter if you discharge the cell you can see a very high and continous voltage for about 25-35 seconds and then it just drops to 0 immediately... This is part of the design process and we do this to see how zapping actualy affects the batteries. We destroy clopse to 100 cells ever so often just experimentnig...Off course when we do this we damage the cells, but only through continous experimentation we find better way to zap and get the batteries to perform better.

I hope this will help you.

Some people call zapping voodoo magic, but we know that there is much more to that. Knowing the way a battery is built and how it reacts to changes in energy is the only way to figure out the best way to zap a battery and obtain better performance out of them

Isaac K.
Axxis Racing
BATT_MAN is offline   Reply With Quote