Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Japanese SuperGT Series

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 06:01 PM
Tech Addict

Default Japanese SuperGT Series

Anyone checked out this race series these rac cars.

http://supergt.net/en/

I guess this series is very popular in Japan and may be comming to the US(I think one race already in California)

The series has great fan interest because it is so competitive.
It is incredibly competitive because they handicap the winners.
I guess if you finish in the top 3 in the first race, the next race in the series your car has to carry extra weight and they restrict your air inflow. So instead of one team or one driver dominating every team and driver is competitive.
I think the other unusual rule is every car has to switch drivers at some point. The races are typically 200 to 500 miles long(semi endurance.)
I guess they also do a ton of fan friendly things like having the pits open to everyone on Saturday with the drivers hanging out with their cars and chatting with fans. I also think they have a Race Sim game and lots of plastic car models.
One thing which is different from Nascar is that the cars ar much closer to their production street models basically souped up touring cars. People like it cause Mazda owners can root for Mazdas and Toyota owners can root for Toyotas.

The thought crossed my mind of the possibility of RC class which used these body styles and incorporated some the aspects of these races which made them popular.

Last edited by imjonah; 11-28-2005 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Hmm......i wonder y they switched names from JGTC to SuperGT
Old 11-28-2005, 06:14 PM
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by imjonah
Anyone checked out this race series these rac cars.

http://supergt.net/en/

I guess this series is very popular in Japan and may be comming to the US(I think one race already in California)

The series has great fan interest because it is so competitive.
It is incredibly competitive because they handicap the winners.
I guess if you finish in the top 3 in the first race, the next race in the series your car has to carry extra weight and they restrict your air inflow. So instead of one team or one driver dominating every team and driver is competitive.
I think the other unusual rule is every car has to switch drivers at some point. The races are typically 200 to 500 miles long(semi endurance.)
I guess they also do a ton of fan friendly things like having the pits open to everyone on Saturday with the drivers hanging out with their cars and chatting with fans. I also think they have a Race Sim game and lots of plastic car models.
One thing which is different from Nascar is that the cars ar much closer to their production street models basically souped up touring cars. People like it cause Mazda owners can root for Mazdas and Toyota owners can root for Toyotas.

The thought crossed my mind of the possibility of RC class which used these body styles and incorporated some the aspects of these races which made them popular.
Something like a longer race 15 minutes or so and some kind of handicapping (probably time based cause I am not sure weight or motor govening would work) Maybe a series of races where the previous race winners had time penalties simular to their winning margins.
The TCS certainly has been influenced by the JGTC. The TCS is probably something you should look into if you haven't already.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Those cars look like kyosho mini-z cars
Old 11-28-2005, 08:32 PM
Tech Elite

http://home.comcast.net/~diink/RCGT_024.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~diink/RCGT_026.jpg
At California Speedway last December
we ran a 1/10 JGTC race while the real race was going on. was a fun weekend

Last edited by howard hudson; 11-28-2005 at 08:46 PM.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:17 PM
Tech Addict

Default same rules?

You just run different bodies but with standard TC rules?

I think it would be interesting to make RC JGTC races maybe 10 -15 minutes long and do a series with time handicaps on provious series race winners, in that way emulate two of the things that make the races popular.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:50 PM
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I think it would be interesting to make RC JGTC races maybe 10 -15 minutes long and do a series with time handicaps on provious series race winners, in that way emulate two of the things that make the races popular.
Just a funny tidbit that would completely take away from the authenticity of having a JGTC type race is the fact that AWD is banned in the JGTC
Old 11-28-2005, 11:24 PM
Tech Elite

Why would this be interesting to new people in the R/C sport. To run 10-15minutes you need more than 1 batterypack. If you use matched packs you'll spend at least 120USD besides a car and running gear. More interesting would be a direct-drive car like the Tamiya T103 chassis, a stock motor and 2 standard packs of 3600mah to 3800mah and make it a spec class. In that way it will be more competitive and affordable/attractive for people
Old 11-29-2005, 09:32 AM
Tech Addict

Default Hmmmm

In stock I would think 10 minutes or even 15 would be no problem for a 3800 pack.

Given modern battery capacities 5 mins is absurd. I spend the whole day at the track for three 5 minute heats and a 5 minute main??

I beleieve the factor that really makes this class popular is the competitveness the handicap brings to the series.