Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Wave - Lightning Discharge / equalizing system

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 04:53 AM
Tech Initiate

What do you excatly mean by:

For people who particularly need the voltmeter function, please wait for the second batch since we have done some modification such that it will give more accurate reading in voltmeter mode.

I've just orderd one and you confirmed delivery which is great but:

- can I update it?
- What modification has been done?
- Is the voltmeter funktion not accurate thats the reason why i manly got the device

I would not be very pleased If after a month the device is allready outdated
Old 01-11-2006, 06:54 AM
Tech Adept

I would like to clarify that the "modification" of the voltmeter function is really a "minor" one. We have updated the software so that a round-up at the mV level is implemented instead of truncation. I would say this is a "perfection" instead of a "modification"
Old 01-11-2006, 07:28 AM
Tech Initiate

Ok, fine by me.
Looking forwarth to the new toy
Old 01-13-2006, 10:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I just received my Team Wave discharger from Kinetix today and I have a question for any of you guys that have one. I'm using it to equalize 4 cell saddle packs for my 12L4. After putting the pack on the machine and making sure the polarity was correct, I hit the start button. Cells 1-3 seemed to discharge correctly, but the voltage for cell #4 didn't seem to budge. The voltage just sat there and flickered between 1.24 & 1.25. Am I doing something wrong?
Old 01-13-2006, 04:06 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Lotus111
I would not be very pleased If after a month the device is allready outdated
amuses me how people get angry when companies come out with newer versions of theire products. why should it effect your use of the product if there is a newer version?

did you know chargers get running updates as the year goes along, but they dont tell you?
Old 01-13-2006, 06:07 PM
Tech Regular

hey andy
Old 01-13-2006, 06:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Fuzzy
I just received my Team Wave discharger from Kinetix today and I have a question for any of you guys that have one. I'm using it to equalize 4 cell saddle packs for my 12L4. After putting the pack on the machine and making sure the polarity was correct, I hit the start button. Cells 1-3 seemed to discharge correctly, but the voltage for cell #4 didn't seem to budge. The voltage just sat there and flickered between 1.24 & 1.25. Am I doing something wrong?
heres what i do..

Put it on voltmeter and put pack on.

Wiggle until all is good, then go to discharge.

that does happen sometimes, wiggle the cell a little and it will drop voltage a bit, should then contibue to discharge.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:20 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by BritRacer
heres what i do..

Put it on voltmeter and put pack on.

Wiggle until all is good, then go to discharge.

that does happen sometimes, wiggle the cell a little and it will drop voltage a bit, should then contibue to discharge.
Thanks BritRacer, but I've checked the connections and they're good. The problem seems to be with discharging a 4 cell pack. It won't discharge the cell at the open end. For example, with the pack placed on the tray in positions 1-4, the tray will read the voltage of all four cells just fine. But when you hit the enter button to start discharging, the voltage only drops on cells 1-3. The voltage on cell #4 doesn't drop. So I tried moving the pack to the end of the tray in positions 3-6. The tray will then discharge cells 4-6, but not cell #3. I've contacted TeamWave via e-mail but have yet to get a reply. I'm starting to think I just wasted $120.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:45 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by XingXing
amuses me how people get angry when companies come out with newer versions of theire products. why should it effect your use of the product if there is a newer version?

did you know chargers get running updates as the year goes along, but they dont tell you?
I'm not stupid, I do upgrade my equipment to if needed. But what I don't like is when a comapany throw's a device on the market and one month after that the already commit some failures. I dont like to be a beta user for my hobby.

As Teamwave already anwser my question it is in this case just a little mod and not a correction of a mailfunktion. So I'm happy
Old 01-14-2006, 06:45 AM
Tech Addict

You have to add 2 "dummy" cells so that the system thinks there is a 6-cell pack. That is what one of my friends who has one of these had to do.

He just used two old cells jumpered together, with a battery bar attached that touches the last cell of the 4-cell pack so that it appears there are 6-cells connected in the tray.

Hope that makes sense.

I actually brought this issue up on page 2 of this thread, but never got a reply about it.

-Rich

Originally Posted by Fuzzy
Thanks BritRacer, but I've checked the connections and they're good. The problem seems to be with discharging a 4 cell pack. It won't discharge the cell at the open end. For example, with the pack placed on the tray in positions 1-4, the tray will read the voltage of all four cells just fine. But when you hit the enter button to start discharging, the voltage only drops on cells 1-3. The voltage on cell #4 doesn't drop. So I tried moving the pack to the end of the tray in positions 3-6. The tray will then discharge cells 4-6, but not cell #3. I've contacted TeamWave via e-mail but have yet to get a reply. I'm starting to think I just wasted $120.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:46 AM
Tech Elite

OK, does it do this on all your 4 cell packs?

I know exactly what you are talking about. I looked more closely at how mine behaves, and yesterday when mine did 'hang' on a call, it was the 4th cell too

All I can suggest is clean the contacts on the wave, as it is a connection issue. Also, remove the top plate and tighten all the screws holding the tabs in, this helped with mine.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:54 AM
Tech Elite

hmmm, mine will do 4 cell packs ok...

I think I need to be watching this 'hanging' cell issue more closely.

Please anyone else leave their observations on this.

It happens to me with 6 cell packs too, one cell will hang at a voltage, all the others will be DONE, then I wiggle the pack, or take it off and put it on again, and re-do it and it works fine.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:05 AM
Tech Regular

Okay guys, I got my reply from TeamWave about the 4 cell issue. Here's what they had to say:
Hi David,

We are sorry to hear about that. Due to design flaw, it needs some modification
on the machine to accept 4 cells. Put a battery bar like the attached image
will solve the problem (no need to solder). Actually any way to connect the two
battery clips shown in the picture will solve the problem. (Don't use small
wire, current running at this connection will over 5A). Or you can ship it back
to us and we can do the trick on the PCB for you for free (we will pay the
returning shipping cost). Sorry again for the inconvenient.

Regards,
TEAMWAVE
Attached Thumbnails Team Wave - Lightning Discharge / equalizing system-4cell_mod.jpg  
Old 01-14-2006, 08:09 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RichChang
You have to add 2 "dummy" cells so that the system thinks there is a 6-cell pack. That is what one of my friends who has one of these had to do.

He just used two old cells jumpered together, with a battery bar attached that touches the last cell of the 4-cell pack so that it appears there are 6-cells connected in the tray.

Hope that makes sense.

I actually brought this issue up on page 2 of this thread, but never got a reply about it.

-Rich
Rich - I tried your suggestion of using two old cells for position 5 & 6 with a battery bar that touches the cell #4 clip and that works as well. All is good now.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:36 AM
Tech Elite

I think i will solder a wire onto the back of one, then atatch a croc clip on the other end, then i can just atatch it when needed....

Less and less impressed with this device.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.