Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mental aspect of racing???

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 05:33 AM
Tech Regular

Default Mental aspect of racing???

How do prepare yourself for race day?? It seems to me that if I get to the track to early and practice to much I dont do as good, as when I get their and only make a few runs before the race starts, I seem to do better.

Also what I say to myself during a race seems to have a lot to do with how I do. Sometimes If im doing good, but nervous and saying to myself man i wish this race would end, while im ahead, it usaully doesnt end to good.

JUst wondering what type of head games you guys use to help you game.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

when I arrive at the track. I'm nervous(new driver). then reminde myself you could be at home doing stuff around the house our shopping with the wife and inlaws.

on the stand I just say to myself just take it easy and remember to blink dam it. and hope for the best and don't mess up my final lap. (lost 3 mains do to missed final few corner and let second by.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:59 AM
Tech Elite

I'm sure general sports psychology could be applied to RC to improve performance, mentally. Good diet and general fitness should also help the physical side.

Personally, I always make sure the car and equipment is prepared before I arrive at the track. This means I don't have to start the meeting in a rush to get the car ready, and also means I can be relaxed and know that the car will work when I put it on the track.

Before a race, I may spend a moment going around the track mentally from my position on the rostrum. Visualisation.

I don't really have any "conscious" thoughts while driving. I've been doing it for quite a while now so I can "read" the track and my competitors, using my peripheral vision to keep a few corners ahead of where I am, and to see the gaps between myself and my competitors. My main focus is on being focussed on the driving.

A close race is good, it builds up a bit of adrenaline that speeds you up. Getting stressed with too much adrenaline tends to make me go to pieces, and I start over-driving and slowing myself down.

Distractions on track and on the rostrum can ruin your focus too - e.g. a marshal blocking your view, or someone one the rostrum taking the banter a bit too far.

So I suppose my first bit of advice is be prepared. My second piece of advice is stay focussed. My third piece of advice is to use adrenaline to your advantage. Then the results should come.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:35 AM
Tech Adept

When i get to the track i get all my stuff out of the car and make sure its all there and nothing is wrong.

First Race. Well i just take it easy get round the track, get the feel for it, get used to my set-up and think of what i can change on my set-up to make my car just that little better or handle better. Then marshaling still think of it but some times i day dream and forget what im doing and get shouted and by drivers

Then for the rest of the heats i still take it easy and push alittle harder and try not to panic. But i seem to panic when im all on my own and not racing tite because i feel im getting lapped because im never that far infront but tite racing is awsome im not sure why just feels real good.

For both Finals i just go for it and by that time i have gotten over my nervousness and push real hard and try to win.

Just think its racing...you do it for fun not to get nervous and all wound up if you lose.

Will
Old 11-24-2005, 08:57 AM
Tech Champion

During Futaba Race 2005 few months ago...... My friend was so nervous and I can see his radio antenna wiggled so hard

My suggestions ( assuming you have satisfied with your car setup ).

Smoke less for smokers.
Drink and eat well, but don't eat too much. Cold water is the best.
Bring small towels ( and extra t-shirt in the car ).
Prepare your gears as if you are going to war so you don't need to borrow.
Bring spare parts.
Relax and have fun with friends.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:54 AM
Tech Initiate

Interesting thread,

I think I most agree with sosidge,

I don't think too much about anything else except what's really happening on the track. Distance to next car, How i'm going to make a clean pass, how much ground do I have to cover to catch the leader. That short of stuff.

I think once you get the car close, (I say close, because guys will spend an enternity looking for that PERFECT setup!) Get the car close enough that your not fighting it do something else. Once that's done spend the time working on smooth lines and close racingw without taking the next man out.

Having the confidence with your ride, the setup and the time that went into preparing will make for a good race.

I also think "asw7576" has a good point. Just relax, enjoy the ride and most important have fun!!!
Old 11-24-2005, 10:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My Biggest problem i use to have was shaking.. I couldnt figure out why i would shake so much. I wsnt nervous or scared but i would shake almost uncontrolably.. I figured out i wasnt breathing properly.. I would actually hold my breath. this starves your body of oxogen causing the shaking..

i started to chew gum when i raced.. it caused me to breath more decreasing the shaking.. Whats funny now is i do shake occasionally at club shows but at big races i never shake.. Also remeber no matter how competitive you are you still nee to remeber to have fun..

As for to much practice, in some ways i do agre it hurts because you get to the track when there is no groove.. You make changes to help the car, but the track gets traction ore and more now your changes are off.. I usually do 2-3 runs before i make any major changes.. this helps lay a groove.. then when the track gets better i start to fine tune..
Old 11-24-2005, 11:20 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by burbs
My Biggest problem i use to have was shaking.. I couldnt figure out why i would shake so much. I wsnt nervous or scared but i would shake almost uncontrolably.. I figured out i wasnt breathing properly.. I would actually hold my breath. this starves your body of oxogen causing the shaking..
I have a shaking issue on the stand when I'm racing against a bunch of guys and I swear nothing can help it. I've tried taking deep breaths, relaxing on the back straight. gum (altough I haven't tried that in a while) and nothing helps! I've glitched out of a couple heats because my M8 shook too much, M8 owners know about the battery tray issues

Now I'm a little more relaxed because I run Expert Mod. I know I'm going to get my ass kicked so I'm not too fussed about results....LOL
Old 11-24-2005, 11:26 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by BlackKat
Now I'm a little more relaxed because I run Expert Mod. I know I'm going to get my ass kicked so I'm not too fussed about results....LOL

I think thats the answer right there, try not to care too much, you are there to have fun
Old 11-24-2005, 11:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I tend to drive better when chewing a new stick of Juicy Fruit gum, and with a thin, but warm glove on my steering hand. If I don't wear the glove, my hand gets cold and starts to twitch. Each new round of qualifiers gets a new stick of gum.

I also chew Juicy Fruit in the gym, and it seems to help my concentraition.

As far as mental conditioning, I just try to keep myself relaxed before the heat. On the drivers stand I just focus on my car, and on the turns ahead.

-Frank
Old 11-24-2005, 12:35 PM
Tech Adept

Interesting thread. I’ve been battling with my nerves all year and only now am I starting to get on top of things.

Qualifying has never been a problem, I’ve always been able to concentrate and importantly, stay focussed on the car. My problem has always been the finals. I just turn into a bag of nerves - why I couldn’t have the same brain set-up as the qualifying I don’t know. So many finals I would be near the top, but by the end of the race I would have dropped down the order due to stupid mistakes - mistakes I hadn’t made during the qualifying.

Had a good chat with my bro-in-law who races ‘full scale’ motorbikes, and was delighted to hear he had similar nerves during his races and crucially, had learn’t how to deal with them. What he finds helpful is finding a quiet area away from anyone and just chill out, he thinks about the race but not about what lines or what gears to be taking, but about how he should think emotionally, for example, maybe being overtaken, he tell himself: don’t panic, stay focussed, plan a way around that guy and regain the position. Its that kind of thinking thats really helped him, because he finds that during a race, he’s mentally prepared to deal with anything and stays calmer as a result. After spending a few quiet moments to himself, he’ll jump on the bike (he would already be wearing the helmet, gloves etc) and head-off down the pits in a calm, focussed mindset and kick-ass!

His advice seems very simple but it has taken me months of practice to remain calm during the race - I’m finding myself constantly thinking: stay calm, breathe etc. And I am now find more and more finals where I either maintain my starting position or even better, actually gain positions. I appreciate that at the end of the day, we only do this for fun, but it was getting increasingly more frustrating to have done really well in qualifying, only to have nerves ruin a final. I was starting loose interest in RC.

I know love RC again, and I’m getting more and more addicted to it. Also, the more I race, the less of a problem I have and the better the results. Woohoo!

PS. Bro-in-law has now finished his seasons racing. He won in 600cc class and won his clubs overall championship - well done mate!
Old 11-24-2005, 04:16 PM
Tech Adept

Someone i know used to shake so bad it was like an earthquake if you were on the same bit of the rostrum as him. He tried all different techniques to calm himself down, and finally found the best solution was Valium. First time he tried it he TQ'd and won the A having always bottled finals in the past.

We did ask for a urine test jokingly after the race, but it was all prescribed by the doctor so it was kinda above board.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I find that a 1/2 line of speed does wonders for driving skills,
Old 11-24-2005, 06:38 PM
Tech Elite

In a feature, I learned the hard way to not back off if you're leading. If I get a good start, then I'll still try to push hard the whole race. That actually helps me drive cleaner than when I'm taking it easy. I blew the biggest race of the year by taking it easy after the start. Since then I've been pushing the whole 5 min. and I haven't choked since.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:45 PM
Tech Addict

i will watch some others practice . then run my line then there's and compare times . then i will look for the groove .and choose which tires to use .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.