Wiki Posts
Search

Gooey Foam Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 03:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default Gooey Foam Tires

Our track has new carpet with AWESOME traction (CRC) I have not encountered this before but when I take my car off the track after a race the foam tires are all gooey and gummy. I searched and read about using motor spray to clean them. Are there any other ways to deal with this? Or do I even need to get the gummyness off?
Old 11-08-2005, 03:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

That sounds like the new standard, you should wipe the tires down with motor spray before you apply traction compound for the next run. The car will be more consistant from run to run. Also when you wipe the tires down good idea to see if they need regluing as well.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

When my tires are sticky and gooey it's when my setup is off and I'm sliding around to much. When my setup is good I don't have that problem.

It maybe the charactistics of the traction combound you are using though. The local club rules is Jack the Gripper only.

Jeffb's tip is good also, I always clean the tires so they are consistant from round to round. If I don't by the time the mains come around my tires will have to much compound build up I would have to change the setup to free the car up enough to be fast.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:25 PM
Tech Initiate

hey we also use to use lighter fluid to take the stuff off, just wipe them down with it and there clean again
Old 11-08-2005, 04:58 PM
Tech Elite

good point wellin about it potentially being a characteristic of the sauce. We use paragon. I am inclined to think its not a set up thing as this condition has been reported by the "pro" drivers at my track who happened to show up last sunday.

badmojo-
Is lighter fluid known by any other names such as denatured alcohol, acetone mineral spirits or teh such? How much do you pay for the LF? My only caveat to using motor spray is that I dont like adding another reason to use the stuff up. Its around 6 dollars a can at my LHS.

Andrew
Old 11-08-2005, 05:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Shellite is the same as lighter fluid....$1-2 a bottle.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Andrew
you are talking about Mike's right? the best thing is the LF and motor spray will work also but for mike's take a rag with you to dry off your tires don't use the stands he has set up half way thru the day there was so mutch stuff on them that its was wet you put more on your tires then you were taking off.also if you can run afew sets of tires during the day and skim them after you run if will help with the buildup its new carpet so its going to take a while for it to sock in see me there if you need a tire truer to use

Tim C
Old 11-08-2005, 07:19 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks tim. I may have to take you up on that. I will have to stock up on tires and maybe just buy 4 sets and then have a fresh set for each race. I can't imagine I would be able to find the time to true in between qualifiers. I have enough trouble getting to the stand on time as it is! lol
Old 11-08-2005, 07:22 PM
Tech Regular

Andrew,
We are running rubber this weekend so dont worry about foam. Just strap in that 19 turn and you will be good to go.
Chris Adams
Old 11-08-2005, 07:30 PM
Tech Elite

I dont know what to do! I set it up for rubber last week and I ended up swapping back to my foam set up before the 1st qualifier. I didn't even finish and had to use my TC4 for the 1st Qualifier. I am not sure I want to swap back to my rubber set up right before teh series just to swap back AGAIN to race the series. I am not much of a driver yet with my XRAY and need to get consistant with one set up. I may change my mind though. I really liked running rubber carpet. Either way I am looking forward to next week. Larry B. gave me some of his old batts which are WAY better than what I was running. Should eliminate my excuse taht my bateries ar the problem and highlight the fact that I can't drive. I also made a deal this week and am waiting for shipment on a 3 mm chassis, foam towers and the wide upper deck for the XRAY. I suppose it depends some if I receive those before friday or so, cuz then I would tear the car down anyway. Ill have to see
Old 11-08-2005, 07:34 PM
Tech Regular

No, dont set up for foam. Just try the rubber thing this one time. I have two other guys that are for sure on the rubber and I am going to see if Rocco wants to run also. Paul Marcum also has his car setup for rubber. If Rocco doesn't want to do it than I am going to run foam otherwise it just wont be much fun for me at least. I will let you know by friday.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:57 PM
Tech Elite

Sounds good. I suppose I owe to Rocco to run rubber 19t. I mean he did let me have his old motor. Keep me posted. I just want to run in a competetive class where I am not lapped literally 5 or six times in a race. If we have 5 by Friday I will run rubber. You might let paul M know. He changed his car back to foam last sunday also.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:04 PM
Tech Regular

Sounds good. As far as the goey foam tires goes, Have two sets, use one the first heat, change tires, use the first set in third round, and 2nd round tires in main. Also, take a rag and before you go out to race, actually message the foam with the rag to get the "juice" out of them. Dont be gentle with the rag either. You should have black on the rag before you leave your pit table. Make sure you clean them with motor spray after the race. Do as Tim says and not use the burn out stations. They are going to be gross by the first heat. All your doing is sending some huge amps through you motor when you burn out on the deal anyways.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default TRACTION COMPOUND

G'day
Just wondering what's the best shop's for buying goop's
paragon,tyre tweak,sxt,dip, e.t.c.
cheers!!