Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One-Ways - Do they really help???

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 08:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Exclamation One-Ways - Do they really help???

I am used to ball diff cars. they say that it is hard to drive a car with a front one-way diff if you are used to ball diffs. are they hard to learn to drive with? and do they really help to improve lap times?
Old 10-24-2005, 08:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

A one way only propel the car in the forward direction, there is no reaction from the front wheels when you apply brakes.
They are much faster than diffs which turning cannot compared with.
Ultimately they does give better lap times than diffs that for sure.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

are they hard to learn to drive with?
Old 10-24-2005, 09:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

They aren't hard to drive with but it depends on where you'er driving it... carpet= ball diffs; asphat= one way...

one ways could be used on carpet however they are very twitchy... if you have a radio that has EXP or ARC throw some Negative Degrees in there to smooth out the reaction time... however if you are looking for that point and shoot action have fun with one ways...
Old 10-24-2005, 10:08 AM
Tech Adept

You just need to drive very smoothly ie, let off the throttle gently rather than abruptly as you might find your car spinning. Also, lay off the brakes - brake hard and you’ll spin.

A one-way will take a little time to get used if you’ve only a diff. As an alternative, have you tried a spool? You get alot of the benefits of a one-way with the stability of a diff.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:00 AM
Tech Regular

i find it depends on the car, my 415 with the oneway had way to much sterring, undrivable. i switched to a spool, and temporeraly set the track record in stock class. my evo iv im faster with a oneway.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:14 AM
Tech Elite

Here's a good bit of reading on using a one-way setup with foams on carpet in an XRAY:

http://www.teamxray.com/xforum/viewtopic.php?t=2293
Old 10-24-2005, 03:05 PM
Tech Elite

For technical asphalt tracks with any tight turns, a spool will usually be faster. It has 200% braking over a diff and has much better acceleration.

A one-way has 0% braking b/c it will spin the car out with a touch of the brakes. Using a one-way takes a different setup then what a diff or spool takes. You'll need softer suspension and less steering.

If your track has alot of chicanes, 180's or tight lanes, you will likely be faster with a spool.

If your track is flowing with smooth turns and long sweepers, then you will likely be faster than a spool.

Front diffs are only fast on carpet with foams. They will not give you the best lap times on asphalt with rubber tires.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:04 PM
Tech Elite

i will be racing on asphalt with foams mostly, using rubber tires not that often. i usually only use rubber tires during the summer, foams hook up better when it's cold. i think i will get a spool. even though i don't use brakes hardly at all in my e.p. car, i am not very smooth with the throttle. i prefer to blip the throttle, just like i do with my 1/8 buggy and gas sedan. spool it is!

BTW-does associated make a spool for the TC4?
Old 10-24-2005, 04:23 PM
Tech Regular

I prefer oneway on asphalt myself.
It trains you to be more disciplined coming into corners, is excellent mid corner if you have a blipping throttle style and steers excellent coming out under power.
And in certain situations allows you to duck up the inside on a 180 or hairpin, brake briefly giving a bootleg turn type effect so you can point and shoot for the next corner.You just got to time it right. Just dont use brakes anywhere else cause you will spin
Old 10-24-2005, 04:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

A one way is what I really started learning with. I used my Pro2 up and down the street quite a bit, but only on the race track once. Once I threw my Pro4 on the asphault and got used to the oneway, I don't think I'll ever be able to go back- and if I do, I'll have a nervous breakdown. The feeling of coasting through the turns just makes me feel blazingly fast. And after playing with the ABS on my radio, I've got it to where the car breaks, but not enough to throw the rear end around. Sure it may take a while to get used to, and watching the rear end flip around WILL get frustrating, but if you stick with it, everything else just becomes slow...
-Josh
Old 10-24-2005, 05:33 PM
Tech Elite

do the spools drive similarly to ball diffs?
Old 10-24-2005, 05:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by macnkitty2002
do the spools drive similarly to ball diffs?
Better in every way.

From my experience, do not use a one-way on asphalt with foams. A spool would rock with foams. If you're using a ball diff right now, a spool will absolutely dominate.

Foams really free up the car through the turns, and if you had a one-way, you would really need to tighten up the car (softer suspension/more roll) Sometimes this can make you feel like you're going faster, when actually you are losing time in the corners.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

they push(understeer) more than a ball diff, so you have to tune it out of the chassis but once you do watch the lap times drop . aslo the front tires will wear more and keep an eye on the front drivetrain, spools are hard on the drive components(cvd's, outdrives, ect.)
associated does make a spool part 1704 for the ntc3, but it should work in the tc3/4 as they use same drivetrain, but if it dont be inventive. pass the ca
Old 10-24-2005, 06:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I absolutly love the spool compared to anything else out there, a front differential isnt bad, i like the one-way, but find that on most tracks there is at least 1 corner which requires braking and i just lose too much time there. Spool allows you to drive the car as hard as you can for 5 minutes and its predictable and easier to drive hard than a one-way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.