R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-24-2005, 03:54 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Up to now I have been marking my tyres and always using them at the same corner. This makes the car very consistent.

The problem I have started to have at a new track I'm visiting is heavy front tyre wear which is effectively rendering the whole set useless after 1 race meeting (20mm minipins on a slippy floor).

So, I'm going to start rotating tyres to see if I can get a second or even third good week out of a set (I don't expect more than 3 meetings from a set of narrow minipins before they become completely useless).

I will be rotating in an X after every run. That way the tyres don't have much chance of getting mismatched as they will only have five minutes wear on them in each position.

I did try rotating the current set, but after approximately 8 runs on them the difference between front and rear was SO great that a car with terminal understeer became completely undriveable with massive oversteer.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 01:26 PM   #17
Tech Adept

I rotate mine before each meeting (club) and I go Front-Left to Rear-right & Front-right o Rear left. This does not seem to affect the car compared to no rotation but helps to get a more even wear and they last longer than not rotating.
Steve B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 03:45 PM   #18
Tech Master
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I swop my 20mm mini pins front to rear after each club meeting 4, 5 minute races. (running LRP Top Grip Carpet additive, so even when the tyres are nearly bald i get plenty of grip.)

My foams i run very little camber and try and keep them on the same corner. I found that swopping foams around really upsets the handleing/balance of the car until 2+ runs later when they have bedded in.
[SIZE=1][COLOR=navy]Paul Heyhoe[/COLOR][/SIZE]
pheyhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 03:57 PM   #19
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I only swap rubber tires from front to rear, never from side to side. Something happens to a tire once its run in one direction and then reversed and run the other way. When you reverse it, it seems to have less traction. This came straight from a tire distributor.
Jack Smash is offline   Reply With Quote