Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
TeamOrion GP3700SP2 Cells >

TeamOrion GP3700SP2 Cells

TeamOrion GP3700SP2 Cells

Old 11-24-2005, 12:43 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by V12
Danny: This was at the last race 10 days ago. The IBīs were very new (4 or 5 runs old, donīt remember exactly) and really were very good. But I donīt think there was a real difference to the GPīs which had about the same numbers of runs of them. But this was running stock with a control motor different from the US motors. Also as I said both the IBīs and GPīs were not my own packs but borrowed from some team guys which are friends of mine. I know the packs all were very good but wonīt go in details here.

I also know there are differences in batches and differences in the ways of matching and enhancing cells so results can vary. I just can say what I noticed with me and other drivers here. Maybe Iīm trying both GP and IB then when Iīm ready buying new packs. But I really fear the IB wonīt work as long as I usally want running my packs.
I wonīt go for any matcher but just for those I trust in. And yes SMC is one of the very few I would buy. Unfortunately this would be more expensive than the local matchers I tried already.

Can I ask you where the IB pack came from ?

I'm not trying to start up trouble but here in the US using 19T and stock motors the IBs are a most to be competitive.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:46 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by trf_racer
At big races, I see top drivers are all using the GP 3700. I think this tells us that they are the most reliable and have top performance. I think IB is also good but in the long term, I have no clue at all as I have not tried those cells before.
What top racers do you see only racing GP ? At the Vegas IIC race more than 50% of the racers ran IB3800s. This week in Cleveland I bet more than 95% will use IB3800s.

Maybe you should say 100% of Orion drivers are using GP3700s.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:49 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by MARKANO
SMC, Orion/Peak, Trinity, Reedy, LRP & all other matchers.

They are all good batteries only to their team & sponsor drivers. The batteries that those top rank racers used in races are only DREAMS to ordinary racers like us.

I was told by a FEW Top Racers. They have to submit back those special batteries back to their factory after races. I once told by a Japanese friend about batteries, those batteries that the top JMRCA team/sponsor racers used in their all-Japan open, are NOT obtainable by the ordinary racers even if you are a shop owner who is close the any team!

In most cases, even the shop owner keep their best packs receive direct from factories/manufacturer/distributor/suppliers, no matter where you are in the world. These is the truth fact!

We, as ordinary racers/buyers, only want a more durable, trouble/problem free, cheaper alternative batteries. We run our batteries all weekend for the next 12 months and may not be afford to buy new batteries for every race.

The reason why we ask those packs back is to able to hand them out to other racers after a big race.

If you think we have special cells for our racers please email me after the big Cleveland race I will be glad to sell you the packs we take back from our drivers attending this race.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:52 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by AdrianM
Thats not entirely true anymore. If you are willing to pay ~$90 per pack and you look for the right numbers you can get cells as good or better than what factory team driver have.

At the Snowbirds the EA packs in the hobby shop were better than the best cells Ralph burch had for the race. It was timing of batches that caused that as EA's packs were matched by SMC.

The Fusion batteries in the shop were also better than the packs Paul Wynn had.

The main advantage team drivers have is cell freshness. A 450sec, 1.195v,2.3IR pack of GP3700's you bought and put on a shelf 3 months ago is no where near as good as a pack with the same numbers matched a week a go. Cells degrade just sitting on a shelf.

We sell zapped cases to EA and he does his own matching. I'm pretty sure that Ralphs packs were every bit as good if not better numbers wise than EAs pack in the counter. We do a higher volume of cells than other matchers and we would have access to batches as fast as anyone else as were the importer for IB.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:59 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by Nick Simpson
Numbers!!!

Arnt they things that are just printed on a label??? How can the customer prove they are true without spending even more money on a matcher???

Im a printer over here in the UK and can get people LABELS with 1.300v on if you want them doesnt mean i can get the cell thow

At the weekend me and a freind tested both cells back to back!!!!

GP cells were 1.192 at 30amp

IB cells were 1.181 at 30amp

On the track the IB cell out performed the GP all over.It had more punch and more RPM.That also allowed it to take TQ and a WIN in a pretty big compation over here!

At the end of the day NUMBERS ARE JUST NUMBERS, the best place to find out what is best is in the track.
The reason why numbers isn't everything has to do with cell construction. IB has built a different cell than GP and that is why it performs better. I have been saying this all along. When you tune your motors correctly the IB cells perform better than any other cell.

Orion has been telling us that the GP3700s are better. They have been telling us this since for awhile now. Based on these facts the newer GP3700 SP2 should be even better than GP3700s and the IB3800s. Can't wait for the paying customer to test these.

Now it seems like GP has closed the gap some with this new sp2 , Oscar and Spashett cell. We have a really reliable source who tested the new GP cell against the IB3800 and he told us that the IB cell out performed it. Guess time will tell who has the best cell.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:43 AM
Tech Adept

I know this is kind of off topic, but I just wanted some input as to which charger is the best charger to be charging IB cells. I have yet to make the jump to 3800 and 3700 cells so I'm in the dark. I currently use a Integy Indi 16x9v6 to do my charging.

Thanks for any input.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Superfly1967
I know this is kind of off topic, but I just wanted some input as to which charger is the best charger to be charging IB cells. I have yet to make the jump to 3800 and 3700 cells so I'm in the dark. I currently use a Integy Indi 16x9v6 to do my charging.

Thanks for any input.
You don't need a special charger for 3700's or 3800's. Yuor integy charger will be fine. Just go to SMC's website to get the best charging details (Amps, cut off, etc.) for the cells you want to use.

If you are looking for a new charger wait a month or two. LiPo batteries are coming and there are a bunch of LiPo compatable chargers that will hit the market in the next few months. Some are already LiPo compatable like the Much More Cell Master and the latest Orion charger.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:58 AM
Tech Adept

You don't need a special charger for 3700's or 3800's. Yuor integy charger will be fine. Just go to SMC's website to get the best charging details (Amps, cut off, etc.) for the cells you want to use.

If you are looking for a new charger wait a month or two. LiPo batteries are coming and there are a bunch of LiPo compatable chargers that will hit the market in the next few months. Some are already LiPo compatable like the Much More Cell Master and the latest Orion charger.
Thanks for the help
Old 11-24-2005, 08:00 AM
Tech Adept

Anybody have a link for SMC?
Old 11-24-2005, 08:44 AM
Tech Regular

"I will be glad to sell you the packs we take back from our drivers attending this race."

So we can purchase good cells from you but only after they are used for several runs?

Battery matchers abuse your cells then sell them to you used. By the time they sit on a shelf between matcher, team did'nt use them and distributor they would of been better performers untouched and simply run as is.

Why do most battery matchers sound like used car salesmen? Promise the world and deliver junk, sound familular!

Happy Thanksgiving
Old 11-24-2005, 08:56 AM
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
Can I ask you where the IB pack came from ?

I'm not trying to start up trouble but here in the US using 19T and stock motors the IBs are a most to be competitive.
Danny you have PN.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:19 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by XCrash
"I will be glad to sell you the packs we take back from our drivers attending this race."

So we can purchase good cells from you but only after they are used for several runs?

Battery matchers abuse your cells then sell them to you used. By the time they sit on a shelf between matcher, team did'nt use them and distributor they would of been better performers untouched and simply run as is.

Why do most battery matchers sound like used car salesmen? Promise the world and deliver junk, sound familular!

Happy Thanksgiving

Not trying to promote or start more controversy but check out Speedzone Batteries, they seem to be one of the few if not the only matcher that puts a release date code on each cell.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by XCrash

Happy Thanksgiving
That has to be the most idiotic post I've ever read.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:29 AM
Tech Champion

born on dates - the next evolution.

Just wait until marketing gets ahold of the "best if used by" labelling.

I'm running to the patent and trademark office to register these intellectual properties right now.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
The reason why numbers isn't everything has to do with cell construction. IB has built a different cell than GP and that is why it performs better. I have been saying this all along. When you tune your motors correctly the IB cells perform better than any other cell.
What is the correct motor tune then? I keep hearing with these new cells to go down in gearing, change springs, cut the brush, but no one has any adive as to what is working. It's one thing to say tune your motors correctly but it sounds like with the IB it is different then what has been done for so long with the GP batteries. So what is best?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.