Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TeamOrion GP3700SP2 Cells

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 02:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I think that my biggest problem is that it seems that the Orion guys are trying to imply that their cells are the only ones that win???

I seem to recall several different matchers with winning cells. Which race in Europe is bigger than the largest indoor on-road race in the world? (snowbirds has more entries but is onroad and oval)...not disputing that there is a big race in Europe...just want to know where to go watch for results...

Perhaps I'm reading the Orion posts with a tone that isn't intended, but then maybe not?
Old 11-23-2005, 02:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by RCGaryK
Jack, that's basically what Novak does with their packs. They give you a grade and guarantee the performance of their cells withing a range. Just imagine if that were the way everyone did their packs...you wouldn't have people so hung up on getting that extra .0000000001 volt that doesn't matter once they park it and have to be marshalled. Sometimes, battery numbers just turns into a pissing match anyways.

You have just proven my point. Ask Novak how battery sales have been lately. Like it or not, racers want a way to quantify what they have in relation to other packs of their own or their competitors. There are certain parameters within the racing community that have become the standard when checking packs. These parameters are based on numbers given by CE machines. Those matchers that adhere to these standards continue to have good reputations no matter what is on their avatar or in their signature. If the numbers on the cells are true, then you are doing right by your customers. If there are no numbers, you are on your own.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Windsorguy99
I think that my biggest problem is that it seems that the Orion guys are trying to imply that their cells are the only ones that win???

I seem to recall several different matchers with winning cells. Which race in Europe is bigger than the largest indoor on-road race in the world? (snowbirds has more entries but is onroad and oval)...not disputing that there is a big race in Europe...just want to know where to go watch for results...

Perhaps I'm reading the Orion posts with a tone that isn't intended, but then maybe not?
I don't think that is the implication. Some are saying that IB cells are the best when GP cells have won as many, if not more, "big" races than IB cells. Maybe IB cells are better and Orion and V2 motors make up for the disadvantage and are just that much better

The race is the Team Orion Speed Weekend. Live results can be found here:
http://www.schusters-page.de/
It is in German but you can make out how to see results. The entry list link is called "Teilnehmer".
Old 11-23-2005, 02:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'll be getting new GP3700 cell samples in shortly. When I get them I will test them to see what we're dealing with. I will say now I do expect to see some big numbers. Anyone who thought GP was going to let IB take the crown was a fool -- simply not the case. I anticipate having two superior performing cells on the market very soon. I think that right now the vast majority of US racers feel the IB cells are the top performer by a huge margin. I agree with this and my opinion is based upon the latest cells we've received from GP and IB.

We've been using a voltage enhancement system unlike no other and have shown some of the biggest gains to virgin cells in the past... But I can honestly tell you that you can only enhance a cells voltage by a certain amount. Beyond that point, the end result is based upon the chemical makeup of the cells, mainly the percentage of the different metals put inside when the cell was constructed.

Lets see what GP has got in that loaded barrel pointed at IB. BAM!
Old 11-23-2005, 02:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

What can be better to get the blood flowing on a holiday weekend then a good battery discusion.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

I love it.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:29 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Rick you have it right I believe it's Orions/Peak motors that make the bigger difference. Imagine how fast they would be with IB cells.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:33 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
Rick you have it right I believe it's Orions/Peak motors that make the bigger difference. Imagine how fast they would be with IB cells.

Aren't Orions numbers on the IBs like 1.195-1.205 @ using their RDS discharge system? If so, it sounds like they haven't been using the Nitrous Oxide enhanced version you've been using.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:37 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
The race is the Team Orion Speed Weekend. Live results can be found here:
http://www.schusters-page.de/
It is in German but you can make out how to see results. The entry list link is called "Teilnehmer".
I will be racing there .. with IB3800's in 19turn class.

-Hugo van den Berg
Old 11-23-2005, 02:43 PM
Company Representative

Oscar and Rick have both said it time and time again that GP is the better cell. Since they have been selling 1.19+ GP3300 for the last 2 years and the GP3700s in the 1.19-1.20 range they probably can't use the same tweaking on the IB cells or else the IBs would be 1.23-1.24.

Most US matchers matching IB3800s on regular untweaked TM4 are seeing 1.20+ with the majority of the cells being 1.21+ at 30 amps.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:06 PM
Shop Owner

Hello as a buyer I believe that battery are only numbers giving only half true

My recommendation is stick to a battery matcher you trust and buy batteries according to what you can afford

The only way to compare batteries is when you compare same battery levels (ie stage 3 from different matchers) ON TRACK. Numbers mean mothing (for comparing) since they have been produced using different process.
You can compare batteries by numbers ONLY if there are from same namufacturer

Nick
Old 11-23-2005, 03:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default One question

One HUGE question. Do the new 3700's charge and discharge like the current 3300's or are they going to be somewhat fragile like the 3800's?

When I say fragile, I mean they do not get dead shorted, you have to really watch the temp, not supposed to cycle....at least that is what I have read and been told. I like the idea of the 3700's if you can treat them like the 3300's......thanks
Old 11-23-2005, 05:03 PM
V12
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Ginsu
One HUGE question. Do the new 3700's charge and discharge like the current 3300's or are they going to be somewhat fragile like the 3800's?

When I say fragile, I mean they do not get dead shorted, you have to really watch the temp, not supposed to cycle....at least that is what I have read and been told. I like the idea of the 3700's if you can treat them like the 3300's......thanks
I think this is an important question for guys like me who have to pay for their cells. I know there are some guys replacing their batteries all the time as the IB cells seems very fast for 5-10 runs and fading way more than the GP´s afterwards. I´m running some GP3300 Orion packs currently with all of them 15-18 month old. Still running strong in stock class but I know newer cells would be even faster. At the last 2 races I got new GP3700 and IB3800 from friends for testing when I qualified for A-Main with my own cells but needed a little more speed then. Both cells were working very good as expected but to be honest both were factory cells, but no Orion or SMC. There was very little difference so I will go for that cell what will work longer for me. If nothing strange happens this will be GP´s as I just trust them more but not the Oscar specials. Maybe would like to but just way to expensive from what I saw.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:12 PM
Tech Regular

Are these suppose to be better than the IB 3800? Since GP has been in the R/C industry for years, do they produce better cells? People in my area mostly use Team Orion / Peak Racing matched cells. I heard these have 508+ sec. runtime.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:26 PM
Company Representative

V12: When was the last time you tried IB3800s ? All the latest 3800s have been holding up real well.

trf: Orion reps will say that these are better than IBs as they have been saying all along that GP is better. We feel that IBs are better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.