Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree110Likes

Tamiya Direct Drive Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 03:03 PM
Tech Adept

Default grip?

How do you guys think the grip on these cars are with rubber tires of the same width f&r?

Where can I get adapters to run rubber on already available cars, like the cct & L3?

I think the Tamiya looks great.. I love the simplicity, and the ease of running regular rubber tires. As long as there is enough tracion..!
Old 12-07-2005, 05:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Anyone heard if tamiya is going to stock up on parts for this car, or let it fall throught the cracks???
Old 12-07-2005, 05:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by miniman
How do you guys think the grip on these cars are with rubber tires of the same width f&r?
I think the Tamiya looks great.. I love the simplicity, and the ease of running regular rubber tires. As long as there is enough tracion..!
a local guy modified his F103 to use touring car tyres/rims in the rear and mini tyres/rims at the front,

it worked very well and much better handling than the regular F103's,
Old 12-07-2005, 08:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dsrbltoys
Anyone heard if tamiya is going to stock up on parts for this car, or let it fall throught the cracks???
Since it is about 3 months away from release, who knows. I have found Tamiya pretty good for parts availability for older stuff.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by miniman

Where can I get adapters to run rubber on already available cars, like the cct & L3?

I think that is where there may be a possible problem.

I love the concept, it's the way touring cars SHOULD'VE been made from the start, easy maintenance plus quick speed and requires good smooth driving.

Unfortuantely, everyone is so used to the normal tourers that they might find these cars a bit of a handful in terms of rear grip, when running big motors - and I think their popularity will quickly decline if all you hear is "I can't get any traction"

I hope I'm wrong, I'd love to see this class develop
Old 12-07-2005, 10:57 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bender
I hope I'm wrong, I'd love to see this class develop
Same here, I want to get one when it hits the market. It should be cheap to buy, and maintainence for it will be really easy. Only issue I see is that my side-by-side packs wont fit in it, so I have to get some stick packs.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Side by side packs fit just fine. You just have to tape them in instead of using the plastic thingies. TCS legal, too, when we ran our F103's this way.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:48 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rccardr
Side by side packs fit just fine. You just have to tape them in instead of using the plastic thingies. TCS legal, too, when we ran our F103's this way.
Ok, maybe with the production versions there will be a better setup for the battery area. Can't wait.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by RCGaryK
I'm looking at mine in my office right now...still has the #3 on it from TA in 2001 and the tire marks from Che...well, another car I would jump on this class in a heartbeat!
Wow man let it go Beale would have beat you anyway so it's a non issue.

Moving on... I think the direct drive will be dialed I think everyone will be suprised just how well this chassis will work remember the F103's biggest down fall was tires and this problem has been solved. Plus bottom line this is the fastest Tamiya car ever built (think of the final drive) and quite possibly it will be the fastest touring car available (in a straight line) which is what what about 80% of RC drivers do they, go up there street turn around and drive back down. this is a win, win for everyone and will put skill not pay checks back at the front of competition.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by bender
Unfortuantely, everyone is so used to the normal tourers that they might find these cars a bit of a handful in terms of rear grip, when running big motors
This is another advantage you no longer need a big motor for speed you could run a 19T with a Lipo and get the speed of a Mod but have 3 times the runtime.

People will still run a mod because they feel the need though my experience has shown the fastest motor at the track is seldom in the fastest car.

Unfortunately drivers these days are so used to heavy inefficient touring cars they may have a hard time adjusting to being smooth. I have seen several times people wth well adjusted F-103's go faster with a stock motor then touring car guys with a mod.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:05 PM
Tech Adept

I'm all in for this class. I bleieve when March Rolls around after the TCS Trackside race in Milwaukee WI USA I think me, Bruce, Marty, and some more people should revive this old candle! This will make RC racing more enjoyable for me. and would be a blast!

4 Months away!

-Lee
Old 12-12-2005, 02:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I made one of these a couple of years back has hardly any traction with the skinny rubber tyres I ran 50mm foams on the back most of the time. Would chop any 4WD car down the straight but the 4WDs had an advantage out of corners..
http://www.starlyon.com/bugle/rc/
Old 12-13-2005, 09:02 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Bugle
I made one of these a couple of years back has hardly any traction with the skinny rubber tyres I ran 50mm foams on the back most of the time. Would chop any 4WD car down the straight but the 4WDs had an advantage out of corners..
http://www.starlyon.com/bugle/rc/
Looks cool except for the huge wing. As Donald Trump would say "Its Huge!"

When is this tc direct drive gona come out? Its christmas and I wont have nothing left next year to buy rc stuff.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:07 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rayman
When is this tc direct drive gona come out? Its christmas and I wont have nothing left next year to buy rc stuff.
March 06.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:38 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Leester-111
I'm all in for this class. I bleieve when March Rolls around after the TCS Trackside race in Milwaukee WI USA I think me, Bruce, Marty, and some more people should revive this old candle! This will make RC racing more enjoyable for me. and would be a blast!

4 Months away!

-Lee
Good for you guys....My local Tamiya race won't be featuring this class till 07...

Actually I looking damn forward to it...!!Hope it comes out as a TRF version and not a basic it like that F103 and we have to hop them...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.