Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree110Likes

Tamiya Direct Drive Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 04:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Cool body! How'd you get to mount TC tires upfront when you didn't switch to a GT front?

I also run 26mm (Front) and 30mm (Rear) foams for Nitro. I currently switch between 37 to 45 shore HPI's, GRP's and Jaco's. Overall, I think Jaco has the best rear traction while GRP has the most consistent front tires.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mailboxck
Cool body! How'd you get to mount TC tires upfront when you didn't switch to a GT front?

I also run 26mm (Front) and 30mm (Rear) foams for Nitro. I currently switch between 37 to 45 shore HPI's, GRP's and Jaco's. Overall, I think Jaco has the best rear traction while GRP has the most consistent front tires.
Hi,i'm using F103GT front suspension, direct fit on the 103LM chassis. Im using Xceed 37shore front and 42shore rear, my lhs only have these shore for black rim so i took them. The car suprisingly handles very well with understeer character. Tyres wear were excellent as the car is light! I'm really happy to have this car running again.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mailboxck
Does anyone here know how to increase the downforce in the F103GT's Advan Courage body?

There's a small notch in the middle front splitter that can be cut away. Does this have any advantage?

Also, has anyone tried changing the angle of the rear wing to increase rear downforce?
I had the same downforce issue with this body on the first run. Lowering the body as much as possible, without wheel interference helped to increase downforce. The car was more steady on the straights and turned in much sharper in the corners. I also thought about cutting the front middle section, but I wasn't sure if this was a good idea. It might create a ballooning effect, which will make the front unstable. By the way, you can also add a foam on the front bumper, to keep the nose from had impacts. I used a 3Racing M-05 front bumper, with some minor modifications. I haven't tried changing the angle of the rear wing, but maybe adding a piece of clear lexan, as a gurney flap will help increase rear downforce? Something adjustable like this.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ses414
Hi,i'm using F103GT front suspension, direct fit on the 103LM chassis. Im using Xceed 37shore front and 42shore rear, my lhs only have these shore for black rim so i took them. The car suprisingly handles very well with understeer character. Tyres wear were excellent as the car is light! I'm really happy to have this car running again.
These cars are indeed amazing. We ran 15 minute mains a month ago, so summing up the 3 mains, my car ran for a total of 45 minutes. With that, my rear tires only lost around 0.6mm in diameter.

I'll post pictures of my car later this week. I'm just cleaning it out first before the race.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by gtfour93
I had the same downforce issue with this body on the first run. Lowering the body as much as possible, without wheel interference helped to increase downforce. The car was more steady on the straights and turned in much sharper in the corners. I also thought about cutting the front middle section, but I wasn't sure if this was a good idea. It might create a ballooning effect, which will make the front unstable. By the way, you can also add a foam on the front bumper, to keep the nose from had impacts. I used a 3Racing M-05 front bumper, with some minor modifications. I haven't tried changing the angle of the rear wing, but maybe adding a piece of clear lexan, as a gurney flap will help increase rear downforce? Something adjustable like this.

I guess I'll just keep the nose the way it is. But do you have pictures on how you mounted a foam bumper to the GT? I'm thinking of making a custom front mount to move the body posts to a more forward position.

Also, perhaps I can screw on some pieces of lexan to the back end to increase downforce. Problem is, the Courage's wing is not big enough for something to be directly bolted on.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:18 PM
Tech Addict

I found a way to put this 3Racing M-05 front bumper to use, since the original base broke. I basically just reused the foam and carbon brace, with other hardware that I found. Some foam in the back had to be shaved off for better fit. Otherwise, it fits pretty good and doesn't get in the way of the Courage headlight buckets.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Nicely done! Now I'm wondering which is a better option:

1. Make a new front plastic bumper that extends all the way out to the front splitter of the Courage body -or-
2. Make a short front plastic bumper so I can mount a foam bumper like you did.

You see, I didn't buy the Courage kit so I dont' have that small bumper like you do. My solution was basically to cut up a TA05 bumper so that I can use the same holes as the Courage's.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:35 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks!

Are you using the GT or the LM chassis with the Courage body? If you're using the GT chassis, then just get the Courage bumper and do what I did with the 3R bumper parts. Here are the item numbers for the bumper parts.

Item #9000030
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...uct-id=9000030

3Racing #M05-04
http://www.rcmart.com/rc-3racing-m05...r-p-28127.html

With the TA05 bumper, all you probably have to do is trim the sides of the foam. The foam by the way is sold separate.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

It's actually almost impossible to get the original Courage bumper here in the Philippines so I'll have to hack myself one from scratch. Thanks for the tip!
Old 11-16-2011, 09:45 PM
Tech Addict

Post a WTB message in the Manila racers section. Someone might have a spare available.

Last edited by gtfour93; 11-16-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:47 PM
Tech Addict

Is this where you play?

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by gtfour93
Post a WTB message in the Manila racers section. Someone might have a spare available.
We tried ordering through our Tamiya LHS but with no success and whoever has one is holding on to theirs

Yep! That's our indoor playground. Really smooth and sticky asphalt. Grip is moderate in the morning but improves gradually as more racers put down rubber and clean up the track.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Chris... are you running the GT chassis or the usual F1 chassis?

Maybe these will help in your front bumper mod:

TECH Racing

CROSS

I've ordered from them before (a shell and decal sheet) and they're pretty reliable

hths
Old 11-17-2011, 12:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

I actually run an F103GT chassis so the one from Tech looks more like the one I use now which is from the TA05. I'll try to put one together using some old discarded engine covers and undertray's that I'll get from a local car shop .
Old 11-25-2011, 01:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Raced the F103GT last weekend with mixed results. The track was very slippery which made it a headache to drive the car. I ran gold springs upfront and fluorescent red spring at the back.

During practice, I used my brand new set of Ellegi tires (45 front/37 back). But because they weren't trued, it would take me a couple more practice laps to get them to the right diameter and smoothness.

So for the race, I used GRP 40's for the front Nitro Shoes 38's for the back. The handling was still very twitchy for some portions of the track and needed a lot of driving finesse.

My diff is tighter than normal, thinking that it will let me accelerate out of corners a lot better. But during this race, the back end would just step out if I try to accelerate without the front tires pointing completely straight. Am i doing this right, or should it loosen it up a bit to make it accelerate better?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.