Apogee LiMn mods needed to fit JRXS
I received my Apogee Lithium Manganeese Polymer packs
. Here is some info with respect to my LosiJRXS which is the original front motor car and as far as I know the one that is available at present although a new mor LiPo friendly chassis is in the works.
The stock apogee packs did not fit the JRXS. They have two Lexan plastic shields one on top and one on the bottom that extends the length as well as some internal assembly choices that extended the length too much.
Here are the modifications that I made which immediately voids your waranttee.
I removed the shrink and tape that is over the ends. I removed the middle small black wire from the charging plug. Just push the tab in with an X-acto knife. This is the balancing wire, save it. I Nipped off the other small red and black wires under the protective tape and discarded the little plug.
The cell is different from the scorpion. It is a 2s 1p cell (only two cells in series). The Scorpion was a 2S 2P ( four cells two in series and two in parallel) Each cell has the + and - on opposite ends rather than on the same end like the Scorpion cells. The little black balancing wire is long and is attached on the opposite end to the discharging leads. It is long enough to run along the other side of the battery and exit the same side as the discharge leads. This avoids (the entire little plug charging harness) rubbing the rear drive pulley on the JRXS. The discharge leads will exit on the right rear side of the car. Only three wires remain. Large black and Red and tiny black (the balancing port).
I soldered three leads with Dean Half Plugs to the Scorpion charger to get rid of the dependance on the plug which failed me once. I used Dean Ultra plugs cut in half.
I removed a 1/8 inch balsa wood spacer from the non lead end of the batt and cut it to 1/16 inch thick.
I took the black discharge lead solder connection which is in a taped envelope and bent it above the battery instead of toward the end. This saved about 1/8 inch in length.
New blue heavy Shrink and black tape end to end to smooth the ends. It fits nice now.
The finished pack weighed 8.1 oz compared to the LiPo from
Scorpion which weighed 7.1 oz both after a reshrink and lead change. A NiMH is about 15 ounce.
I made a small bracket to keep the battery from sliding onto the rear pulley and rubbing. Pics on request.
Apogee Li Mn First Discharge Test
First discharge test was with the charge sitting in the battery for a long while and then topped off. It was over 7 volts at 5 minutes and averaged 6.94 V over a full 3744 mA-h. I expect this voltage to improve like the Scorpion pack from a full charge discharge in rapid succesion without sitting.