R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   would peopel buy brand new assembled kits (mainly tamiys)?? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/91114-would-peopel-buy-brand-new-assembled-kits-mainly-tamiys.html)

eds24 11-18-2005 09:44 PM

would peopel buy brand new assembled kits (mainly tamiys)??

hello i am thinking that running a 1/10th scale car is to exspensive for me. I don't want to leave the hobby and i love building things and i thought it would be cool to build kits . so i was wondering if i bought brand new kits built them and then just sell them with out running it would people buy them? I wouldn't exspect to make money. i would just build the kits for fun and sell them . The big thing is would i lose money?? Like if i bought a kit for like $90 could i sell it for somewhere around that price??? They would mainly be tamiya kits .thanks ethan

Skitee 11-18-2005 10:01 PM

I know it does work around here where we are, I've been at our LHS before and people are always coming in looking for pre-built kits and they're happy to pay a building fee too. You do ofcourse realise that you will be competing directly with Tamiya's XB kits which are pre-built kits from Tamiya but those are mainly entry level kits like TT01, TL01 and M03.

I say give it a go, good luck

Desolas 11-18-2005 10:48 PM

I don't personally see the appeal, but I'm kind of disconnected from the youth market and what goes on in a normal LHS. But if you do give it a go, something you could try is advertising what your doing, say your selling a TC4 for the list price, plus shipping, but explain it is built to order so it takes a few extra days to get it to the customer's door.

You could also have some prebuilts ready to go, especially if one is popular, but you could really have any car it available for sale as long as the customer knows they will have to wait for it.

But in the end you will make no money since your not charging anything and you will spend a lot of time mailing stuff and building kits for free.

sosidge 11-19-2005 01:06 AM

Until about 3 years ago this idea would have had legs.

Now, there are SO many RTR's aimed at the beginners market that it is hard to find a kit to build. And the building fee you would have to reasonably charge for a kit would make it very expensive (as it stands, most RTR's work out better value than buying the components seperately).

You could probably do it as a hobby, put a little sign up in a friendly LHS, build a couple of kits a week. But you wouldn't make a living.

Plus, if there is a problem with the car - you'll be the one getting the grief off the new owner...

eds24 11-19-2005 10:54 AM

the only thing i am worried about is who in the heck is going to trust a 13 year old kid to build their kits. Nobody is lol no offense to myself or any other 13 year olds but i highly dought a lhs or a customer would trust me to build thier kits. I don't exspect money lol i just love building and being around r/c cars lol

jrabbito 11-19-2005 10:58 AM

I think you just answered your own question....

Soviet 11-19-2005 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by eds24
the only thing i am worried about is who in the heck is going to trust a 13 year old kid to build their kits. Nobody is lol no offense to myself or any other 13 year olds but i highly dought a lhs or a customer would trust me to build thier kits. I don't exspect money lol i just love building and being around r/c cars lol

I'd sepnd lses tmie buliding ktis and more tmie laerning to splel. ;)

RKeasler 11-19-2005 03:45 PM

There is a online RC store that will build the kit for if you want so a "company" is already ahead of you.

eds24 11-19-2005 04:31 PM

ok what if i proved myself to the hobby shop buy building a kit or doing a low cost project .........i have a t3,tc3,and rc18t i was thinking maybe a rc18t with tc3 cvds,turnbuckles, and custom a-arms and/or tc3 truggy with lexan chassis, a-arms,shocktowers,t3 cvds,and shocks,custom slipper, and servo saver ..... so it would be like the width and length of a t3 but a xxx-4 body..what all tools whoudl i need to make custom lexan parts?? and would that prove i can do it? ethan

RKeasler 11-19-2005 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by eds24
ok what if i proved myself to the hobby shop buy building a kit or doing a low cost project .........i have a t3,tc3,and rc18t i was thinking maybe a rc18t with tc3 cvds,turnbuckles, and custom a-arms and/or tc3 truggy with lexan chassis, a-arms,shocktowers,t3 cvds,and shocks,custom slipper, and servo saver ..... so it would be like the width and length of a t3 but a xxx-4 body..what all tools whoudl i need to make custom lexan parts?? and would that prove i can do it? ethan

Sounds like a good place to start who knows maybe you can get a small niche there. I don't like to build and if I had a guy local that was really good I would consider using him, all you can do is ask.

Rod

Charlie O 11-19-2005 07:28 PM

I would have gotten into this hobby 20 yr's ago if there were RTR's or someone to build me a kit!, cause the guy at the hobby store told me you need experience and 1-2 weeks to build it, and that you need to build it yourself cause if it breaks you will know how to fix it! i said i will learn how to fix it when it breaks, he said sorry! there is nobody to build cars for you, so i left and didn't come back for 20 yr's till they had RTR's! now i have over 15 cars 12 are kits i built after i had RTR's. :)