Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
What does everyone use for hex drivers? tools? >

What does everyone use for hex drivers? tools?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What does everyone use for hex drivers? tools?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 01:49 PM
Tech Adept

Default What does everyone use for hex drivers? tools?

Hey everyone,

I am pretty new to the sport and am planning to buy some new tools and just wanted to get some input on which way to go. I know there are many choices and I am sure there are some secrets of the trade out there so I am hoping to hear some.

Hex drivers seems to be the most expensive part of it all, it seems like i will have to spend $200+ to get everyhting i need form Hudy or 3 Racing. But I was wondering if anyone has used any other brands with success or should I just pony up and buy the hudy's.

I saw these on towers site and they look pretty good, is anyone using these?
DuraTrax Ultimate Tool Set 15-Piece w/Pouch
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXKKU4&P=ML

Right now i just have miss mash of tools and would like to get one nice complete set.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks
Old 12-09-2005, 01:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I use Integy and Losi they work very well. The Hudy's are nice but just to much $$$. I have seen the Duratrax but never used them they look nice and a great price.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I am not a fan of the Dynamite nut drivers. The rounded ends make it hard to get the nuts completely tight or loosened if they are tightened down.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

The problem with the sets is there are a bunch you don't really need,I just use the Wiha's and order the ones I need,their proffesional quality and you can order them individually, saving a lot of money.They come in metric and standard and you can get hex heads,nut drivers,screw drivers what ever you need,customize your own set.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:05 PM
Tech Master

I use the Standard and Metric Integy nut drivers and allen wrenches. Very inexpensive, very nice and good quality. I've had them for about 4 years now.

I also use a set of Craftsman Small Screwdrivers. 5 come in a plastic carrying case. A set of small Craftsman pliers that includes wire cutters, needle nose and 1 long nose pliers.

That's all I use besides the normal wrenches and allen wrenches that come with the kits.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:07 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Hyper1
The problem with the sets is there are a bunch you don't really need,I just use the Wiha's and order the ones I need,their proffesional quality and you can order them individually, saving a lot of money.They come in metric and standard and you can get hex heads,nut drivers,screw drivers what ever you need,customize your own set.

See the problem with this is that if there is one that you do need, you do not have it...
Old 12-09-2005, 02:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by 6g72tt
See the problem with this is that if there is one that you do need, you do not have it...
I guess because I've been at this for so long I know exactly the ones I need.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If I can offer a suggestion, I would recommend color coordindating drivers. For example, when I want to put on an aluminum pinion, I grab my black handled hex driver. When I want to remove my motor, I grab the green one. You'll quickly learn which colors do what, and there is no need to find the size letters on the handle.

I have the AE Drivers and I love them. Not only do they have colors, but they also have the size written on them.
AE nut drivers are here.

I found that having these tools greatly increases the speed of working on the car, and makes the hobby more enjoyable.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by James35
If I can offer a suggestion, I would recommend color coordindating drivers. For example, when I want to put on an aluminum pinion, I grab my black handled hex driver. When I want to remove my motor, I grab the green one. You'll quickly learn which colors do what, and there is no need to find the size letters on the handle.

I have the AE Drivers and I love them. Not only do they have colors, but they also have the size written on them.
AE nut drivers are here.

I found that having these tools greatly increases the speed of working on the car, and makes the hobby more enjoyable.

i agree, the AE tools are quite nice and comfortable to use.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I used to have some Duratrax tools, well they lasted about a month. Forked out and bought some Hudy tools, and realised you cant go past any of the Hudy tools. Remember, you get what you pay for.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:07 PM
Tech Adept

There may be cheaper alternatives, but you should never skimp on tools if possible. I use hex wrenches daily in my full time job and there is nothing better IMHO then the Thorp wrenches (sold by MIP now). The handles are very comfortable and they are nicely balanced. I've had these wrenches for over 10 years now and I recommend them to anyone looking for the highest quality.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

First thing I did wa buy the Integy ones....

Broke about three tips in three weeks..That got frustrating...
I finally bought the best wrenches (MIP Thorp)...they will last till the end of time...
Plus since I drive a euro or Asian model I only need three sizes and at $15.00 each that is only $45.00 and that is worth it to me..
-Shookie <><
Old 12-09-2005, 03:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have been using the Duratrax wrenches for a couple of months now with no problems. I used the standard allen wrenches for about 15 years (or more) prior to that. I haven't rounded or broken any tips and they are light wrenches since they have hollow handles. Tips are replacable and easy to find anywhere that has Great Planes as a distributer.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

In my toolbox I use: MIP-pretty good(2mm,2.5mm std and ball, 3mm), Hudy-great stuff!(1.5mm), TAMIYA-They are ok(2mm), and Integy-pretty good(SAE sizes for the TC4).
Old 12-09-2005, 06:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

just get the losi set for 45$ i think u get all u need standred or mextrixs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.