R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-10-2016, 06:55 AM   #91
Tech Elite
 
Brian McGreevy's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 4,081
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-man View Post
We actually purchased a new scale a few weeks ago.
You the man! Thanks.
__________________
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:35 AM   #92
Tech Adept
 
dave-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 248
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

One other item to mention ........ To keep things fair and eliminate doubt, we are doing motor and esc tech this year for VTA, USGT and F1. We have a neutral individual (not running those classes) performing tech. Our hope is to get the majority of the motor/esc tech done on Friday.

*All classes will be subject to standard tech (voltage, weight, ride height, etc.).

We are using an Instek Milliohm Meter (resistance of the stator) and the Reilley Motorsports Blinky Buster (shows boost in the esc).

We're still fine tuning the details but wanted everyone to be aware. We want a level playing field and some good/clean racing.



dave-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:25 AM   #93
Tech Champion
 
DARKSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nashville-Memphis
Posts: 8,444
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

oh yes.....lets see who not playing fair now....
__________________
Myron "BATTMAN" Kinnard
Team Associated/Reedy Powered/PROTOform
2017 U.S.VTA+ Southern Nationals in Music City U.S.A.
Sept 21-24th @ Thunder RC Raceway
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:31 AM   #94
Tech Champion
 
DARKSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nashville-Memphis
Posts: 8,444
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McGreevy View Post
If you wouldn't mind, could you have that scale checked, Dave? At the race at your place on Jan 2nd, it was reading about 15 g light.
don't blame the scale...put some weight on it...that's just part of the game... a lot of things can change the way a scale reads....incl temp and air...make it heavy like us normal racers do, and quit looking for the loophole
__________________
Myron "BATTMAN" Kinnard
Team Associated/Reedy Powered/PROTOform
2017 U.S.VTA+ Southern Nationals in Music City U.S.A.
Sept 21-24th @ Thunder RC Raceway
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:35 AM   #95
Tech Champion
 
DARKSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nashville-Memphis
Posts: 8,444
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

and I had lost a fabulous race in Indy one time cause my ride magically lost 1 gram of weight and I was DQ'd...my car was checked twice at the beginning of the main and was over by 5 grams....but was short by 1 gram after?....and protest began...just saying

so 1550, nah....1580....1450, nope 1500....make it happen
__________________
Myron "BATTMAN" Kinnard
Team Associated/Reedy Powered/PROTOform
2017 U.S.VTA+ Southern Nationals in Music City U.S.A.
Sept 21-24th @ Thunder RC Raceway
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 12:30 PM   #96
Tech Adept
 
dave-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 248
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
and I had lost a fabulous race in Indy one time cause my ride magically lost 1 gram of weight and I was DQ'd...my car was checked twice at the beginning of the main and was over by 5 grams....but was short by 1 gram after?....and protest began...just saying

so 1550, nah....1580....1450, nope 1500....make it happen
I was there for that race. I left before they made a decision though. I remember you were walking the track looking for it.
dave-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:50 PM   #97
Tech Master
 
Travis S's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Moline, IL
Posts: 1,372
Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
and I had lost a fabulous race in Indy one time cause my ride magically lost 1 gram of weight and I was DQ'd...my car was checked twice at the beginning of the main and was over by 5 grams....but was short by 1 gram after?....and protest began...just saying

so 1550, nah....1580....1450, nope 1500....make it happen
Come on , we all know you got some spy hunter setup that drops led on the people behind you.

Travis S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 02:46 PM   #98
Tech Elite
 
Brian McGreevy's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 4,081
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
don't blame the scale...put some weight on it...that's just part of the game... a lot of things can change the way a scale reads....incl temp and air...make it heavy like us normal racers do, and quit looking for the loophole
FYI I've always run my VTA car heavy...last weighed at 1565.
__________________
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 02:49 PM   #99
Tech Master
 
cwoods34's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Indy-freakin'-ana
Posts: 1,156
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
and I had lost a fabulous race in Indy one time cause my ride magically lost 1 gram of weight and I was DQ'd...my car was checked twice at the beginning of the main and was over by 5 grams....but was short by 1 gram after?....and protest began...just saying

so 1550, nah....1580....1450, nope 1500....make it happen
Wrong. Jonesy placed 1st, I finished 2nd, you finished 3rd but had to relinquish the trophy due to failing post-tech. You kept the TQ award. I have the awards photo to prove it.
cwoods34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 02:56 PM   #100
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 365
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jonesy112
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoods34 View Post
Wrong. Jonesy placed 1st, I finished 2nd, you finished 3rd but had to relinquish the trophy due to failing post-tech. You kept the TQ award. I have the awards photo to prove it.
I still find it odd they let the 4th place finisher decide on the outcome of your DQ.
Jonesy112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:27 PM   #101
Tech Master
 
Essnowyt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere Strange Wisconsin!
Posts: 1,659
Send a message via AIM to Essnowyt
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-man View Post
One other item to mention ........ To keep things fair and eliminate doubt, we are doing motor and esc tech this year for VTA, USGT and F1. We have a neutral individual (not running those classes) performing tech. Our hope is to get the majority of the motor/esc tech done on Friday.

*All classes will be subject to standard tech (voltage, weight, ride height, etc.).

We are using an Instek Milliohm Meter (resistance of the stator) and the Reilley Motorsports Blinky Buster (shows boost in the esc).

We're still fine tuning the details but wanted everyone to be aware. We want a level playing field and some good/clean racing.



Can you describe the tech review for this blinky buster? Connect leads and then hammer throttle? What do you expect for readout? What is a pass, what is fail? What happens if someone adjusts the throttle end points in the radio?

For the milliohm testing, will we be able to see the results? Again, what is a pass, what is fail?

Thank you,

Snowy.
__________________
Team XRay, RCAmerica, Motiv, Gravity RC, Schacht Design Works.

Drive it, Dont slide it!
Essnowyt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:30 PM   #102
Tech Champion
 
DARKSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nashville-Memphis
Posts: 8,444
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

lol...me too....lol...its all good for me, I enjoyed the event and the time with you guys...but since then I always go heavy....Fat Boyz Ridez is all the "mods" needed...

oh CW you right, I wasn't taking anything from the victory from Mike...I got photos and lovely memories....

Now picking in GT is another ballgame lol
__________________
Myron "BATTMAN" Kinnard
Team Associated/Reedy Powered/PROTOform
2017 U.S.VTA+ Southern Nationals in Music City U.S.A.
Sept 21-24th @ Thunder RC Raceway
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:36 PM   #103
Tech Champion
 
DARKSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nashville-Memphis
Posts: 8,444
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis S View Post
Come on , we all know you got some spy hunter setup that drops led on the people behind you.


now if I could get that approved?...hey Rob what you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McGreevy View Post
FYI I've always run my VTA car heavy...last weighed at 1565.
its going to be lite....go ahead and add about 30 more grams and gear it around 4.2....Im not try to decrease your chances at a win...Im just trying to help
__________________
Myron "BATTMAN" Kinnard
Team Associated/Reedy Powered/PROTOform
2017 U.S.VTA+ Southern Nationals in Music City U.S.A.
Sept 21-24th @ Thunder RC Raceway
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:38 PM   #104
Tech Champion
 
DARKSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nashville-Memphis
Posts: 8,444
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Battman Power Hour is over.....

Dave are you guys doing a motor tear down like we did a few years back or just checking in the cars?
__________________
Myron "BATTMAN" Kinnard
Team Associated/Reedy Powered/PROTOform
2017 U.S.VTA+ Southern Nationals in Music City U.S.A.
Sept 21-24th @ Thunder RC Raceway
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:09 AM   #105
Tech Adept
 
dave-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 248
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essnowyt View Post
Can you describe the tech review for this blinky buster? Connect leads and then hammer throttle? What do you expect for readout? What is a pass, what is fail? What happens if someone adjusts the throttle end points in the radio?

For the milliohm testing, will we be able to see the results? Again, what is a pass, what is fail?

Thank you,

Snowy.
BLINKY BUSTER - We will come up with a number and let everyone know ahead of time. (It shouldn't read any higher than 2.0 or 2.1. Even 1 degree of boost will show 3.1 or 3.2 so it will be obvious if there's funny business) However, I'm still learning about it. Jeremy Reilley (local oval guy) designed it. I'm going to talk to him more this weekend. As of now, we are only planning on using it during post race tech inspection. Could be top 3 or top 5 from VTA, USGT and F1. However, If someone lays a blistering run down, we can always bust it out and tech it on the spot if needed. We'll make the Blinky Buster available all weekend if anyone wants to double check their equipment.

MILLIOHM TESTING - This part isn't quite as cut/dry yet. I know ROAR has passed down numbers for the 25.5 - The minimum resistance between any 2 phases of the motor (AB, AC, BC), when measured at 25C with an Instek GOM 802 milliohm meter, will be no less than 101 milliohms. However, this is not the same machine that is being loaned to us. I think it may be an older model. So, we can't "draw the line in the sand" at 101. It should be fairly close to that though.

Hope that helps!
dave-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:50 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net