R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree4Likes

Old 01-15-2016, 12:43 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default TRF or TC7 shocks?

Considering new shocks and want some advice from those with experience with the 2 brands mentioned. I know there won't be many that can help but thought I'd try anyway.

Thanks in advance.

Oo=00=oO
OttoKrosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 02:43 PM   #2
Dan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Tamiya shocks are some of the best in the business for on-road. Associated machining quality has never really been the class leader...
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 02:26 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Defnitely the TRF shocks.
daleburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 12:03 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Associated machining quality 'WAS' never really been the class leader...[/QUOTE]
From the new machining quality, like the b5m CE. It's a hole different story, drive the car now for 2 months, without buying one simple spare part.
The plastic is amazing strong. If the build quality one like this, I think the shoks will work just as fine. Less than a few weeks to test....
Svendc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 01:55 PM   #5
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

While it's been about 5 years since I've used Tamiya shocks it's safe to say they have always been excellent and have set the benchmark for a long time.

That being said, I do have experience with the new TC7 shocks and I think they are some of the smoothest I've built to date. The machining on the new shocks is second to none and the bodies feature Fox Kashima coating which is extremely smooth and durable. The stock shafts are chrome coated which again is extremely smooth and durable. The pistons and spacers are machined rather than molded.

That being said you really can't go wrong with either but I think once people see how good the new AE shocks are we will have people converting over.
davidl and DARKSIDE like this.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:49 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Caster View Post
While it's been about 5 years since I've used Tamiya shocks it's safe to say they have always been excellent and have set the benchmark for a long time.

That being said, I do have experience with the new TC7 shocks and I think they are some of the smoothest I've built to date. The machining on the new shocks is second to none and the bodies feature Fox Kashima coating which is extremely smooth and durable. The stock shafts are chrome coated which again is extremely smooth and durable. The pistons and spacers are machined rather than molded.

That being said you really can't go wrong with either but I think once people see how good the new AE shocks are we will have people converting over.
Thanks to all that responded.

I did commit and purchased a set of the TC7 shocks, pricy for sure! Should be here soon, hope to have them set up for racing this Saturday.

Thanks again.
beyondthepack likes this.

Oo=00=oO
Old 01-18-2016, 04:17 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoKrosse View Post

I did commit and purchased a set of the TC7 shocks, pricy for sure! Should be here soon, hope to have them set up for racing this Saturday.

Thanks again.
Do the TC5/TC4 arm mod to your TC6.2 and put the TC7 shocks on that car. You will be wicked fast, guaranteed!
glennhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:57 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennhl View Post
Do the TC5/TC4 arm mod to your TC6.2 and put the TC7 shocks on that car. You will be wicked fast, guaranteed!
That's next Glenn, but that'll mean you'll always have a great look at the back of my car. ....

Oo=00=oO
Old 01-19-2016, 09:24 AM   #9
Tech Addict

Quote:

From what I have read it sounds like Fox Kashima coating is very similar to a coating we used where I worked, we used Anatef coating on aluminum if we needed a very low coefficient of friction. It was a Teflon impregnated hard anodize coating. The Teflon was applied after hard anodizing. I'm surprised that no one has done this before. Good to see Team Associated on top of this!
davidl likes this.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:39 AM   #10
Tech Addict

Quote:
That's next Glenn, but that'll mean you'll always have a great look at the back of my car. ....
I already look at the back of your car, now it will be out of sight!
Old 01-20-2016, 09:44 PM   #11
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:

Thanks again.
You won't regret that purchase!

In response to the TC4/TC5 arm mod, the TC7 parts will be available any day now and the suspension will be a direct fit. You'll have to add some wheelbase shims and figure that out but way better than fitting the TC4/TC5 parts like we had.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:48 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Quote:
You won't regret that purchase!

In response to the TC4/TC5 arm mod, the TC7 parts will be available any day now and the suspension will be a direct fit. You'll have to add some wheelbase shims and figure that out but way better than fitting the TC4/TC5 parts like we had.
Thanks randy, I really appreciate your input and advice.....looking forward to the parts becoming readily available. I noticed there isn't much right now and I had to go on the email list for the TC7 springs. For now I'm using some Xray 2.5 & 2.6 springs I have because the TC6.2 springs don't fit the spring perches of the TC7 shocks. Will be running this set up this weekend to see how it works.

Thanks again,

Oo=00=oO
Old 04-05-2017, 10:36 AM   #13
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm interested in putting tc7 shocks on a ntc3. Can any of you guys give me the end to end length and piston diameter? Anyone do a swap on the ntc3?

Tia.
mustangkillaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:43 AM   #14
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 180 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangkillaz View Post
I'm interested in putting tc7 shocks on a ntc3. Can any of you guys give me the end to end length and piston diameter? Anyone do a swap on the ntc3?

Tia.
try asking the same question in the Nitro Onroad forums

Rc10ntc3
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:54 AM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default TC7 vs XRAY Spring

I ran a little test last week at the track between the Associated blue spring for the TC7 short shock and the XRAY 2.7. I placed one spring on top of the other and squeezed them together with my thumb and forefinger. Both compressed to "coil bound" at the same time, so I called that good enough to say they are the same. Put the Associated blues on the car and have great results since.
davidl is offline   Reply With Quote