Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie M05 diff question

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 05:36 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Newbie M05 diff question

I'm new to the hobby, I've asked around about diff setups and got many opinions. I'm thinking of trying the putty in stock gear diff. Can someone give me an idea or pic of how much to use. The track I race is very small and tight if that helps any. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:23 PM
Tech Rookie

Ed, you might be better off asking in The Mini Cooper thread in this section. Or start going thru all the pages.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

It's a bit of trial and error as far as diff putty to get the diff action that you want versus your driving style and how much drive you want on corner exit. A stiffer diff requires more on throttle steering. It'll under-steer turning off throttle.

You may consider anti-wear grease with some additional shims on each side.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

The plastic/metal gear diffs that are used in the Tamiya mini series or cars are great for what they are, but there is room for improvement. Unfortunately, they cannot be effectively sealed so filling with heavy diff oils leads to messy leaks and poor performance.

Adding putty or other sold materials makes the diff a spool that can result in handling changes. Tamiya sells a ball diff for the M05, but it isn't very robust. Tamiya also sells a ball diff for the Manta Ray that is much stronger and when built with black grease is very effective and almost bullet-proof.

As already mentioned, do a search on RCTech for the proper thread where you'll find all kinds of great recommendations.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:04 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks guys, I have read through most of the Mini thread. Just never new how much putty to try. I have some putty and I also have the M05 ball diff. I'm going to test various setups to find a good one for me. Thanks again
Old 01-15-2016, 11:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hdtech237
Thanks guys, I have read through most of the Mini thread. Just never new how much putty to try. I have some putty and I also have the M05 ball diff. I'm going to test various setups to find a good one for me. Thanks again
I suggest you do the MR diff setup aka monkeyracing diff setup unless you buy a real ball diff or oil gear diff.

It is using 2 to 3 extra diff shims on the factory gear diff and tightening down the 3 screws evenly. This way you can adjust the stiffness. You can even make your own shims out of thin plastic sheets if you want to just give ita whirl. I can tell you that it works very well!

GL