Wiki Posts
Search

XRAY T1R or ????

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 03:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

My input.......

Was in a similar situation. Wanted a sedan, but which one? Did a bunch of research over a few months period. Looked at a few cars. Decided the T1R was the way to go. Everything I read stated that it was a very forgiving, and tunable car.

I picked up a used T1R recently. Very nice. Makes my Associated B4 and T4 look like Radio Shack cars. Well, not quite that bad, but after owning an Xray, I'll never buy a TC3/4. Unless I can get a really good deal on one.....

As for the T1R vs. FK04 vs. FK05 debate.......

Pros for the '05.....latest and greatest. Battery is convenient.
Cons for the '05......motor sticks waaayyyy out there, have heard complaints of damage in crashes. Spur gear replacement is not easy. Taped battery, or extra cost battery strap. Very little space on chassis for esc/rx. Seen cars with stuff hanging off the edge of the chassis. Not cool IMO.

Pros for the '04......becoming cheap to buy used. Have seen several for around $150. Has the latest short arm setup. Easy spur gear replacement.
Cons for the '04......saddle battery packs. Doesn't bother me, but it does some people.

Pros for the T1R......cheap! Especially used. I picked one up with a ton of spare parts for $150. Arguably the best rough surface car out there because of the long suspension arms. Short arms are very easy to retrofit, no new part other than the arms are needed.
Cons for the T1R.....just not cool cause it's old and doesn't have any graphite. Saddle packs.

I don't view the T1R as "low end". It's simply not. Look at one, then look at a TC3/4. However, I don't think the T1R will ever be updated. They haven't yet, and it's been out for about 3 years. They have done many other cars in the meantime.

If you have read the TC4 thread, there is a universal complaint about the sloppyness of all the moving parts. My T1R was used, and it's pretty darn tight. And I've had ample opportunity to "loosen" it up by whacking boards. Haven't broken anything either. Cracked a couple of wheels though.

All of this raving is from a big AE fan. Have owned at least 8 AE cars over the last 15 years. Never owned anything else until this T1R.

GP3700's will fit the T1R, they are all I run. Just have to modify the straps and the strap posts a little. 15 minutes with a Dremel. Haven't tried IB3800's as I don't have any, yet.

If you have the money, get a FK05. If you don't, get a used Fk04 or new or used T1R. As another poster mentioned, you won't regret it.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Manning
If you have the money, get a FK05. If you don't, get a used Fk04 or new or used T1R. As another poster mentioned, you won't regret it.
Exactly what I would do. If you have the disposable income go for the FK05. If not, check out the used stuff section and get an FK04. You'll be rocking in no time.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I'm in the same boat...Was a tc3 fanatic and then got my T1r with a warpspeed conversion on it...LOVE IT!!!
A friend of mine commented that I kept the same lines for 10 straight laps,which is unheard of for me. The durability and tunability is 100% there. The fk'05 is pretty,but I'm VERY happy with my T1r!!!--Albert
Old 11-16-2005, 01:44 AM
Tech Regular

Hey Guys,

We import Xray locally and today I have the proof that the T1R is still an excellent car. Practically all Xray owners racing in the National Championships here changed from FK'04 to FK'05 and are all very happy with it. Xrays are in fact for the moment leading both the local Super Stock and Modified Classes.

There was this guy who was on a tight budget and he decided to buy a T1R instead of the latest FK'05. Guess what? He is currently 1st in the Super Stock Championship after 3 rounds! Beating even other guys who are using the FK'05. I am not saying that it is better than the FK'05, I am sure it isn't. But in the right hands, the T1R is still lethal

Hehe, this is a fact. The guys name is Graham Camilleri. Check out for yourself on www.irmcc.com
Old 11-16-2005, 03:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have just got my second Xray, and I have got to say that I love the FK05. I previously had an Evo2 (one earlier that the FK04) and the only thing I didn't like about it was the saddle pack batteries. They are also very durable, and I have had some big crashes and had little to no damage.

A prime example of this was at the Australian NAtionals a few weeks ago. On one part of the track, a limestone wall is on the outside of the corner. In the same final, a TC4 FK hit the wall and snapped a front and rear arm. A couple of laps later an Xray FK05 did the same thing, but with no damage. The hit by the xray was also large as it push the roof of the touring car body down to the top of the doors!!
Old 11-16-2005, 05:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Personally, I found the FK05 much easier to be fast with...

My FK, Evo2, T1 and highly hopped up TC4's all were able to perform well on the track....but with no other car have I been able to find speed as easily as the FK05.

This isn't an isolated situation. Just about everyone at our local track who has made the switch has shown drastic improvements in their personal bests. I'm not saying that the FK05 is the only car that you may experience this with....I'mjust giving my personal opinion and observations.

We run a tight technical carpet track, where the quick turning and fast transition speed of the FK05 really help tame the layout.

I would recommend the FK05 over the T1R (if it's financially feasible) as it already has a lower internal ratio to help free up the drivetrain, it has the short arms already standard...these are two VERY common hopups that many people put onto the T1R right away.

The T1R is a bit more flexible than the other Xray designs which may help if you run rubber on asphalt, but the FK05 has different chassis and top deck options to allow you to tune the desired degree of flex.

No matter which car, T1R, FK, FK05, you'll be impressed with the parts fit and finish, durability and performance....I just think that the FK05 brings enough extra tot he table to justify the difference in price
Old 11-17-2005, 01:19 AM
Tech Addict

I replaced my used T1R with brand new TC4. The TC4 had more slop.

If your budget allowes swing for the T1FK05. Don't worry about when 06 gets out. If you budget doesn't allow, buy the T1R. It's the best, most solid car you can get for the money. Shame about the saddlepacks. The 05 is more "detailed", parts have been changed to make it lighter. Manning wrote good description. "I picked up a used T1R recently. Very nice. Makes my Associated B4 and T4 look like Radio Shack cars."
Old 11-17-2005, 05:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

A new starter friend of mine recently bought a T1R, I borrowed it for a meeting and was very impressed. The quality of the parts and smoothness of the diffs was great. I race a Pro 4 on a tight and twisty high traction carpet track on foams, with no setting up, the T1R was straight away as quick and easy to drive as my Pro4, it only lost out a little on the straights due to the drivetrain, but was still pretty good.

I think that until you can drive a full race without crashes, an easy to drive car is the most important thing, the T1R goes together easily, has an excellent manual, is easy to maintain and has more than adequate performance for club level and beyond.

Until you're hitting the perfect line every time, there's more to squeeze from your driving, just make sure your batteries/motor/tires/ are reasonable and your car is free and straight. Don't get hung up on obtaining the ultimate of these! Get your eqipment to a reasonable level and working for each race, then just enjoy trying to repeat that perfect line (giving the markers a sensible margin). When your driving consistently you'll be much more sensitive to changes in your equipment. Good luck with your purchase!

Ian
Old 11-17-2005, 06:36 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Windsorguy99
I would recommend the FK05 over the T1R (if it's financially feasible) as it already has a lower internal ratio to help free up the drivetrain, it has the short arms already standard...these are two VERY common hopups that many people put onto the T1R right away.
I second that!! You cant go wrong with it.

I bought a use Fk as my second car and after 1 race I decided to convert it to an fk05. I just couldn't make it goes like the my other car and couldn't stand to have saddle pack once I played with the 05
Old 11-17-2005, 07:22 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by andsetinn
...If your budget allowes swing for the T1FK05. Don't worry about when 06 gets out...
Keep in mind that earlier this year when the FK05 was released, people were paying upwards of $300 for used FK04's.

All XRAY models hold there value extremely well and you'll only have to look forward to an *upgrade* cost, figuratively speaking, of the difference between how much you sell the FK05 for versus the purchase price of a new model.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:32 AM
Tech Initiate

The xray T1R is a fantastic car, my younger brother had one in may and trust me its taken some bashing at the local track and its yet to break, the car doesnt see much maintenance but still runs very well. I built the T1R in just under five hours and we raced the car on the same day, the build quality is very good and every thing goes together with percision.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

U said Munich, so GERMANY>? ha i went there this summer... yeah might as well go for the Xray if you live in europe...
Old 11-18-2005, 01:48 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by J@UNE
...and couldn't stand to have saddle pack once I played with the 05
How good is it to go from a older Xray to an FK05. Instead of trying to slide the two pack in, in the FK05 you just throw in it. Its awesome.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:30 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Made my Decision but now have a problem need your help ?

Guys,

I have made my Decision, I am going to go for the XRAY T1FK05. (My Wife is very forgiving :-))

But the problem is I have scoured the NET for the best deal.

I can get the XRAY T1FK05 for 350 Euros 413USD

But I have had the following offer from one supplier:-

I understand this is a being a supplier hop up ?

The chassis is cnc machined. the edge is roundet and the slots allready have the angle to get the batteries lower. you can choose between either the 2mm or 2,5mm chassis. the price for this kit wich also contains shorter shock absorber piston and softer volume valves is 355 Euros/418 USD and is called the c1 version.

c2 version costs 399 Euros/470 USD has the same cnc service but instead of the shorter piston rods contains 4 serpent aluminium shock absorbers from the 960. theese shock are used by many team xray drivers and are of outstanding qualitiy and look.

My Question is should I buy just a stock car, or go for Ver C1 or 2.

If I do why is that ?

Sorry but if its worth my while I need to understand.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

I would buy the car stock. Save your money for things you will really make use of like springs, sway bars, c-hubs, 3 mm chassis (for carpet). I have found the stock plastic XRAY shocks to be fantastic. Im sure other people have other opinions about the better shock but as someone new to the car I believe it will be a while before you will gain any advantage there might be to gain by using the serpent shocks. Beisdes, if I am not mistaken, the are not adjustable, which as a new XRAY owner I make use of as I am finding a set up that really agrees with me. Better batteries, and well maintained equipment will bring you MUCH better returns on your investment per dollar.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.