R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-08-2016, 04:43 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Tamiya GT Pro Spec Class

This class sounds amazing as I am a sucker for scale, cost effective, close racing. Tamiya TCS racing isn't really a thing here, but I'm curious if anyone has ran a class similar to this and what it was like. I know most hardcore racers laugh at most Tamiya kits, especially something as entry level as a TT02, but I've read that they work decent enough as race cars despite their cheapness. I've also heard and read about the failures of spec classes from other racers, but was thinking this one really sounds like it would negate a lot of the criticism most receive. I'd like to hear the good and the bad!

Please discuss.

Rules can be found here:

http://www.tamiyausa.com/tcs/tcs.php?article-id=559

I've also included the Tamiya class rules in the next post:
angrymelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 04:43 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Default GT Pro Spec Rules

The GT PRO Spec Class is for anyone that wants to race head to head with racers of any skill level with equally spec’d race cars. The class allows beginner, intermediate and advanced drivers to compete together in an arena where driver skill level and car preparation determine success. This class is perfect for new drivers to move up to a higher level of competition and still race their entry-level TT-02 chassis, and great for the more advanced drivers to compete in a budget minded class.

Recommended Minimum Skill level: Any

1. Legal chassis platform: TT-02 and TT-02R kits only. Note: TT-02 Type S kits are not legal for this class. TT-02 Type S Hop-Ups are not allowed, regardless of fitment ability to a standard TT02 kit.

2. Any TT-02 Hop-Up Option is legal with the exceptions listed below:

3. Shocks: Plastic Tamiya CVA shock unit only (item 50746) or kit friction dampers are allowed. Note: You may only use the kit 5 coil chrome spring, 7 coil chrome spring in the CVA shock unit set and item 53440 RC On-Road Spring Set (Hard). These springs are blue, red, yellow and white in the package for easy identification.

4. Suspension: TT-02 Type S (short reversible suspension) kits are not allowed. Stock, plastic shock towers must be used. Note: Any Hop-Up-Option that is S-Type specific is prohibited.

5. Differential: Must run “working” ball or gear differential. Locking of any kind to create a spool-type diff is not allowed. Must show working diff during tech inspection. Note: Item 54649 TT02 Diff Locking Block is not permitted.

6. Spur Gear: Only Tamiya TT-02 stock and specified Tamiya speed-tuned spur gears are allowed.

7. Allowed spur gears are as follows: TT-02: Stock 70T, Speed-Tuned 68T and 64T

8. Pinion Gear: Pinion gear ratio options shown in Tamiya kit and the speed-tuned gear set motor mount chart instruction manuals may be used. Finding ways to exceed the maximum gear ratio shown in the manual chart is not allowed. Maximum gear ratio: 5.74:1 (64T Spur-29T Pinion)

9. Tires: You must use the Tamiya Pre-Mounted B3 tires, item #1015. Note: You must always use the B3 pre-mount tires irrespective of track surface.

10. ESC: You must use a ROAR legal “Blinky” enabled ESC. The Tamiya kit-included TBLE-02S brushless ESC is also allowed.

11. Motor Rules: You MUST use the REEDY 21.5 MACH 3 motor for this class. (Part #253) Note: YOU MAY ONLY use the included rotor and stator. The output shaft has the number 273 etched on it for easy identification during post tech inspection. https://www.teamassociated.com/parts...tor_21_5_spec/ The same motor will be used for the 2017 season.

12. Body: In order to keep the aero package equal, the 2016 GT Pro Spec body is the Porsche 911 GT3 Cup VIP 2007 (Item 51336). The stock wing, mirrors must be used. Race wings are not permitted. No exceptions.

13. Wheel hubs: 4mm, 5mm and 6mm wheel hex hubs only. The kit includes 9mm plastic hex hubs which are not legal to use.

14. Recommended Hop-Up-Options: Many Hop-Up Option can be used, but you only really need to consider the following 8:

• Ball Bearing set: (item 54476)

• Speed Tuned Gear Set: (item 54500) • Aluminum motor mount: (item 54558)

• Plastic Oil-filled dampers: (50746-highly recommended, 53619, 50519).

• Aluminum Prop-shaft: (items 54501)

• TT02 Alum Propeller Joint (item 54502)

• Steering Turn Buckle set: (item 53662)

• Toe-In rear Uprights (item 54549)

• RC On-Road Spring Set (Hard) (item 53440)

Note: The Tamiya TT-02R kit (item 84409) comes with all of the above Hop-Up-Options. The GT Pro Spec class will be run at the 2016 Tamiya TCS Finals!
Old 01-08-2016, 04:55 PM   #3
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

The Tamiya TT-02R is quite a little rugged racer

We raced them for 12Hrs at Tamiya last fall, and intend to do it again

12 Heures du Tamiya

RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:50 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Holy crap that's just awesome! Would you say they're durable enough for someone new to racing?
Old 01-08-2016, 11:25 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymelon View Post
Holy crap that's just awesome! Would you say they're durable enough for someone new to racing?
Very durable. I was one of the drivers in the black / white / blue Z4 pictured above and we had no mechanical issues over 12 hours. Now the one time we plugged the battery in backwards..........

Panda
Old 01-10-2016, 12:29 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin CBR View Post
Very durable. I was one of the drivers in the black / white / blue Z4 pictured above and we had no mechanical issues over 12 hours. Now the one time we plugged the battery in backwards..........

Panda
That is great news! Well, all except for the battery incident Thank you for the feedback gentlemen.

-Ryan
Old 01-12-2016, 03:38 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
The Tamiya TT-02R is quite a little rugged racer

We raced them for 12Hrs at Tamiya last fall, and intend to do it again

12 Heures du Tamiya

I read that entire thread and all it did was depress me that we don't have something like that here. I'm also surprised that there isn't any video!?

Thanks again,
Ryan
Old 01-12-2016, 08:33 PM   #8
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

We currently have a strong GT following here in SoCal
This is necessary to have an endurance event of this level
It doesn't happen overnight, and it takes a lot of parties to participate and promote this fun aspect of our hobby
Yes it's a lot of work, but the rewards are more than worth it

12 Heures du Tamiya, was truly years of effort

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 03:54 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
We currently have a strong GT following here in SoCal
This is necessary to have an endurance event of this level
It doesn't happen overnight, and it takes a lot of parties to participate and promote this fun aspect of our hobby
Yes it's a lot of work, but the rewards are more than worth it

12 Heures du Tamiya, was truly years of effort

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Thank you for the video! If feasible, you should try to get more video for this years race, as well as some in-car

-Ryan
Old 01-17-2016, 09:43 AM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to MrLesac

This looks like a fun class, and Id love to be able to run it at the first TCS race in Omaha, but I dont think we will have enough entries to have a class of them.
MrLesac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:51 AM   #11
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to IWC MOTORSPORT

Hi all, does anyone have a set up sheet for the GT-PRO SPEC class for the TT02R? any help would be greatly appreciated, new to this and need to start somewhere with the car set up, thanks!
IWC MOTORSPORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:10 PM   #12
Tech Adept

My tt02r kit came with black springs. Are those legal for gt pro spec?
vapourtrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:50 PM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The rules allow you to tune with different springs. The part number is in the rules. And as far as I know the kit springs are allowed also. I ran this class last year and this year,lots of fun. This year's motor is a bit of a con IMHO. 5he motor I bought was quite low on 5he rpm side compared to some of the other motors in the other cars. I also ran the 12 hours and this little kit can handle some fender banging racing. I have 2 of them. Go for it you won't stop smiling.
xsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 02:23 PM   #14
Tech Adept

Hi xsracer, the part of the rules I was concerned about states "kit 5 coil chrome springs" yet the tt02r (from tower hobbies) came with black 5 coil springs. Not sure of the spring rate tho...

I was there last year too running a red m3 tt01r type e. Lotsa fun! Not sure about the motor either. I hope it'll stay together. Definitely not enough gearing to support a 21.5 on that track.

Oh yeah! Getting it ready now, thanks!
vapourtrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:53 PM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapourtrail View Post
Hi xsracer, the part of the rules I was concerned about states "kit 5 coil chrome springs" yet the tt02r (from tower hobbies) came with black 5 coil springs. Not sure of the spring rate tho...

I was there last year too running a red m3 tt01r type e. Lotsa fun! Not sure about the motor either. I hope it'll stay together. Definitely not enough gearing to support a 21.5 on that track.

Oh yeah! Getting it ready now, thanks!
One of the guys at the Tamiya track said the black springs where similar to the yellow springs. This year's rules say we can use optional springs. The chrome springs where handed out to us last year if we didn' t have any of our own. Enjoy the build.
xsracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gt pro spec, tamiya