Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Don't think car prices are too high? >

Don't think car prices are too high?

Don't think car prices are too high?

Old 11-15-2005, 12:45 PM
Buyer Beware

Originally Posted by PD2
Nope - I have put my name down for one of them high-end, Cadillac-expensive Tamiya TRF415MSX kits. Now, whether or not I have the cash to go through with the purchase of the kit when it arrives is another story. HAHA!!!

I like the Cyclone but want it to sit out there a bit longer - kind of a "get the bugs worked out" (if any) thing.

Aside from that, I have eyeballed the Yokomo BD as well as the FT TC4. Ultimately, I'm holding for the MSX.

We'll see.....

PD2
i have my name down for that tamiya kit too....it was just something really cool about the cyclone that i wanted...but the tamiya 415 carmi have is just awesome,and i have the standard 415.....the yoko bd is good too but i went and got the cyclone,
we will see on that 415MSX....
Old 11-15-2005, 01:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

all the cars are around 400 when you put them on the track now. Take mine...BMI TC4. Team TC4 around 200...BMI kit, BMI motor Mount, graphite kit (for the arms and towers), all 4 aluminum hinge pin mounts, etc... you end up over 400.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jon Kerr
You also have to look at what's coming in the new kits and what materials are used. The days of molded plastic chassis and all plastic suspensions are gone. All the current popular TC's that are out there are Machined CF plate cars with machined anoe'd aluminum bulkheads, suspension mounts etc... They come with Ti turnbuckles, hinge pins, screws (in some cases) much higher quality parts, better shocks, etc... For the most part, any popular kit out there can be raced competitively straight from the box. When I ran a Losi, all the "good stuff" was all aftermarket and expensive. The cost of materials was much lower, therefor the cost of the kits was much lower.
Gone are the days of molded plastic? PFFT lol the TA05 is one amazing peice of plastic. Weighs a tonne, but its a damn nice car against some of the top of the line cars out there. Im still working the bugs out of mine, and have done some hopups, but i wouldnt say the days of molded plastic cars are gone. i think people are simply spending more. Something I wont do. You are right though, the popular ones are all carbon fibre this and titanium that, and they cost a fortune. IMHO, dont let this discourage anyone. The cheap plastic cars can be competitive with about the same R and D, except you save yourself a bundle. I got laughed at when i brought the TA05 down to race. Now that its on A final pace, they just laugh at my haircut.....

Its a fact that RC is still very affordable to get into for majority of budgets. Unlike most other forms of motorsport.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bob Barry
all the cars are around 400 when you put them on the track now. Take mine...BMI TC4. Team TC4 around 200...BMI kit, BMI motor Mount, graphite kit (for the arms and towers), all 4 aluminum hinge pin mounts, etc... you end up over 400.
Im racing against BMI TC4's and FK05 etc etc, and i wont beleive that you HAVE to have a car around the $400 mark. Thats a CHOICE you have made.....

TA05 - $155
TRF Shocks - $60
Centre one way - $30

and you still have money for mcdonalds
Old 11-15-2005, 01:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Remember though-its takes a uniquely skilled driver to put an uncompetitive car in the A-Main or rather low relative competition.

Just about all the cars in the A-Main next week at Champs will be a top tourer and be no less than $500 if you added the kit and the hop-ups. The exception might be the Losi JRXS because its such a unique car-there are no expensive hop-ups for it anyone makes.

My RDX is a $700 car and my buddies FK05 is easily a $550 or more with the thick chassis and top decks.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:02 PM
Buyer Beware

lets not forget that nitro cars are way more expensive...my serpent 960 (rolling chassis)was 550.00
Old 11-15-2005, 02:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xrcbuggy
EP car are over rated & over priced.
Whatever, I personally think Nitro is overrated, way too much work, way more messy, and not that much faster when it comes to touring cars unless the track is HUGE!! Hell at the Parking lot track I used to frequent, the STOCK tc's turned faster laps than the Nitro guys!!! I say if it ain't 1/8th Onroad, Nitro is a complete waste of time and money.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:13 PM
Buyer Beware

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
Whatever, I personally think Nitro is overrated, way too much work, way more messy, and not that much faster when it comes to touring cars unless the track is HUGE!! Hell at the Parking lot track I used to frequent, the STOCK tc's turned faster laps than the Nitro guys!!! I say if it ain't 1/8th Onroad, Nitro is a complete waste of time and money.
i dont think its a waste of time or money,it is your perference....i do both,nitro and electric...when i dont feel the need to tune an engine,i go with the electric....so it works both ways...
if you like plug and go,electric is for you
if youi like the wonderful wrenching and awesome smell of nitro,then the nitro is for you.......kitty
Old 11-15-2005, 02:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by axle182
Gone are the days of molded plastic? PFFT lol the TA05 is one amazing peice of plastic. Weighs a tonne, but its a damn nice car against some of the top of the line cars out there. Im still working the bugs out of mine, and have done some hopups, but i wouldnt say the days of molded plastic cars are gone. i think people are simply spending more. Something I wont do. You are right though, the popular ones are all carbon fibre this and titanium that, and they cost a fortune. IMHO, dont let this discourage anyone. The cheap plastic cars can be competitive with about the same R and D, except you save yourself a bundle. I got laughed at when i brought the TA05 down to race. Now that its on A final pace, they just laugh at my haircut.....

Its a fact that RC is still very affordable to get into for majority of budgets. Unlike most other forms of motorsport.
Since AE and Losi went away from the tub chassis, when was the last time you saw a tub car in the A main at any National or International level event? I'm sure the TA05 is a good car, but I doubt you'd ever see any factory TRF drivers race one at any big event. At high levels of competition, every bit counts, including putting the absolute best car on the track possible.

You're talking about racing at a club level and passing guys with Xrays etc... with your TA05. In all honesty, you'd probably be passing the same guys if you all had the same exact car. At the club level, it's not so much what car you have, it's more driver skill and setup knowledge. When you get to a national level, most of the top drivers (probably the top 20) are so equal in skill, it becomes who's better prepared, who can pull out that extra tenth when it's needed, and luck (or lack there of as is the case more often than not.) This includes putting the best car they can on the track.