Wiki Posts
Search

Don't think car prices are too high?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 06:34 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ChadCapece
Ehhh, I bet she'll come in around $450 at your LHS.
I don't see how an LHS can sell it for less than half of MSRP when the typical discount is 40, and Tamiya cars are often short discounted.

But even at $450, that beats the previous high mark set by the Corally RDX.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Thought the Cyclone was up there too??

It's funny that in the spring people freaked out over Xray pricing being through the roof...and now it seems all the kits cost jsut as much (or more) than the FK05...

Even the AE and Losi cars are in the same ballpark as the Xray kit...

If you look at the pricing of the kits and compare it to where the pricing USED to be in RC 10-15 yrs ago and factor in inflation..it's still lower than it was in the past
Old 11-15-2005, 08:12 AM
Buyer Beware

i remember that when the cyclone just came out,everyone wanted one and the hype was crazy,now..no one is really talking about it anymore...
by the way,i paid 450.00 for my cyclone....kitty
Old 11-15-2005, 08:56 AM
Tech Adept

Isn't this just the msx but in complete car form not the conversion kit?

Thing is though, what else would you have to buy for it, knowing tamiya it will prob come with all the tuning options and everything you need.

Personally I'm sticking with my Yokomo BD, but the tamiya does look nice and its tamiya quality after all, cannot be equaled in my view.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:18 AM
Buyer Beware

Originally Posted by John Pape
Isn't this just the msx but in complete car form not the conversion kit?

Thing is though, what else would you have to buy for it, knowing tamiya it will prob come with all the tuning options and everything you need.

Personally I'm sticking with my Yokomo BD, but the tamiya does look nice and its tamiya quality after all, cannot be equaled in my view.
very true....i also have the standard tamiya 415...i love it!
Old 11-15-2005, 11:06 AM
PD2
Tech Master

Originally Posted by HELLOkitty
i remember that when the cyclone just came out,everyone wanted one and the hype was crazy,now..no one is really talking about it anymore...
by the way,i paid 450.00 for my cyclone....kitty
The guy who runs our on-road races at our track and who owned an HPI Pro 4, bought a new Cyclone , switched all of his gear from the HPI Pro 4 to the Cyclone. Made one minor adjustment to the suspension out of the box and then raced and set a NEW track time record on our track! They car looks great and has some great features that makes it way more accessible than the Pro 4 and of course has lightened it up considerably over the Pro 4.

But at the end of the day, will us, as racers, see the true value of that and justify the increase in costs? I think it is very subjective to the individual as to the answer to that question.

PD2
Old 11-15-2005, 11:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Raise your hand if you get ALOT more satisfaction winning with a cheap car? I know i do. Nothing like passing a FK05 or alike using a TA04, or the new TA05. Ive nicked named it the plastic fantastic lol. Its the same in every sport, you have people who cant help but buy the most expensive of everything, as they expect it must be the best to cost so much. Thing is, your own R and D at majority of race levels (not talkin nationals etc lol) will always get better results than spending $$$.

Some are waiting the release of the New 415 Refine 2, im waiting for one to come up second hand!

Altho id love to be sponsored so i COULD afford one
Old 11-15-2005, 11:38 AM

If you compare factory cost to final price at LHS, there is about 60% to 80% profit which has to be divided among all party involve (factory has the smallest profit. If you ask me price for an EP car should be between $250 to $300 & for a GP car should be $300 to $350, and one more thing EP car are over rated & over priced.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Wasn't Tamiya the first one to start playing High-Pricing rockets that set the "industry standard"?
Old 11-15-2005, 11:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Lets just say they appeal to a wider variety of rc buyer. Its still your choice if you want to spend or not.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:47 AM
PD2
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ogreasurada
Wasn't Tamiya the first one to start playing High-Pricing rockets that set the "industry standard"?
True, but the problem is that Tamiya seems to be set as the collector's side of the pricing world due to the fact that most of their high-end cars are limited production. Then of course, there are those that just collect the Tamiya line. Check out www.tamiyaclub.com and you will see several of them there.

If the rest did the same or followed suit, then I'd say they had a real leg to stand on regarding "standardizing" the price to benchmark Tamiya. Otherwise, as some one else noted, they are over priced and over rated!

PD2
Old 11-15-2005, 11:59 AM
Buyer Beware

Originally Posted by PD2
The guy who runs our on-road races at our track and who owned an HPI Pro 4, bought a new Cyclone , switched all of his gear from the HPI Pro 4 to the Cyclone. Made one minor adjustment to the suspension out of the box and then raced and set a NEW track time record on our track! They car looks great and has some great features that makes it way more accessible than the Pro 4 and of course has lightened it up considerably over the Pro 4.

But at the end of the day, will us, as racers, see the true value of that and justify the increase in costs? I think it is very subjective to the individual as to the answer to that question.

PD2
thats cool...i am glad i got one....PD2,are you going to get a cyclone?
Old 11-15-2005, 12:04 PM
PD2
Tech Master

Originally Posted by HELLOkitty
thats cool...i am glad i got one....PD2,are you going to get a cyclone?
Nope - I have put my name down for one of them high-end, Cadillac-expensive Tamiya TRF415MSX kits. Now, whether or not I have the cash to go through with the purchase of the kit when it arrives is another story. HAHA!!!

I like the Cyclone but want it to sit out there a bit longer - kind of a "get the bugs worked out" (if any) thing.

Aside from that, I have eyeballed the Yokomo BD as well as the FT TC4. Ultimately, I'm holding for the MSX.

We'll see.....

PD2
Old 11-15-2005, 12:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

these TRF cars by Tamiya are limited production, yet turned out beautifully and with ultimate precision in manufacturing. My point being they put more effort into these small run cars as other manufacturers put into their bread and butter mass produced cars. And the runs are limited so they dont get to make there money back like say a B4 buggy or a TRaxxas Revo would do. I for one think the cars are stupid expensive, but I dont think they are overpriced. Much as my attitude to a Ferrari is.

People buy them and they are an expendible income purchase. If bread goes up to $7 a loaf, well that is overpriced because you have to buy it to survive.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

You also have to look at what's coming in the new kits and what materials are used. The days of molded plastic chassis and all plastic suspensions are gone. All the current popular TC's that are out there are Machined CF plate cars with machined anoe'd aluminum bulkheads, suspension mounts etc... They come with Ti turnbuckles, hinge pins, screws (in some cases) much higher quality parts, better shocks, etc... For the most part, any popular kit out there can be raced competitively straight from the box. When I ran a Losi, all the "good stuff" was all aftermarket and expensive. The cost of materials was much lower, therefor the cost of the kits was much lower.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.