R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-20-2003, 08:10 AM   #1456
Tech Adept

The evo3 is great just out of box...just look for the performance of rheinard at DHI cup, Jun at Novak race, and Maezumi at yama yama cup...the 3mm chasis is for high grip conditions, and the gears and new mounts are improvements, that they are going to sell as hop ups just like in all the other chassis of Tamiya..., u must test something in competitive races to know if you can make it better..., the objetive of Tamiya is take again the worlds next year...and i persoannly think that they are going to have a very good chance with Maezumi, Jun and Surikarn working together...
On the other hand...guy where i must put the spacers to reduce the "banana" effect??? between A1 and A3?? thank you
TRF_SPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 08:52 AM   #1457
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

TRF-Spain. Yes, try using shims between A1 and A3. I don't know the exact sizes as I haven't rebuilt my car yet. If anybody does come up with the correct size, please let us know. Dan, how's your Japanese?
rtypec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 10:36 AM   #1458
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default surikarn pic above

if you look at the back side of the caster block, you can see that material was removed, i wounder why...

it also details the material to remove when you look at the setup sheet, but i can't figure out why...

maybey it is for the same reason that difuser and i were discussing yesterday, the same reason for removing the webbing from the arms, to get rid of unsprung weight...

ahhhh... iw whish i was in japan now instead of back in november, then i could ask the man himself all these questions.

peter

RC-Trim | Serpent USA | On-Point | Trinity | Revtech | ORCA | BSR | KO Propo | PT RC Racing Oil | WTRC | rcpitwhores.com
peter_robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 10:49 AM   #1459
Tech Regular

Peter have you heard anything about the new alloy gearox/suspension mounts for the EVO ???
alan1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 10:58 AM   #1460
Tech Elite

no, i found out the same way that everyone has, by seeing the pics of surikarns car from the recent thailand race.

i imagine that it will become an option part though.

peter

RC-Trim | Serpent USA | On-Point | Trinity | Revtech | ORCA | BSR | KO Propo | PT RC Racing Oil | WTRC | rcpitwhores.com
Old 03-20-2003, 01:27 PM   #1461

Default Foam Setup

Does anyone have any foam tire setups they feel like sharing for the EVOIII.

I have been experimenting with the Front one-way and a front spool. I find the spool and one-way quicker for a lap or two but more difficult to be consistent every lap.

Here is my diff based setup that seems to rotate well through the corners.
http://www.mpowered-racing.com/evoiiicarfoa.html

Martin Crisp
mcrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 01:58 PM   #1462
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Martin,

I sent what I think is a very good set-up to Tom Wright. See if he can forward it to you. And please let me know how it works for you!!!

Ray
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 02:26 PM   #1463

Default Foam Setup

Hey Ray,

Tom had called me this morning and described your setup to me. I was curious why you are using the inside holes on the front A arms. Also are you finding the red sway bar is really making much of difference?

Martin Crisp
mcrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 02:33 PM   #1464
Tech Champion

Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Martin,

I was WRONG!!! I am using the outside holes on arms-I meant to e-mail Tom back about it. Sorry!! I'll do that now!!!

I think between the red and yellow-not much difference. I definately felt the blue to red though. I almost think I could go w/out sway bars on this set-up its so stiff. But-I didnt test that yet.

I figure I just leave them on and if I just need a tad more or less steering,I can go up or down with a fast sway bar change (like on my gas car).

Ray
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 04:53 PM   #1465
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AQuionIV Send a message via Yahoo to AQuionIV

I'm not sure if I'm gearing way too high, or way too low. But Can someone give me a good asphalt gearing setup for my TB evo3? I'm tyring to run a 96 spur w/ the stock 34 tooth pinion. I'm not sure if it's just me, but my Drivetrain is loose and easy, but the car still feels sluggish off the punch. I run mostly tight tracks (Ok... I've only run tight tracks.) So can u guys from SoCal give me a good setup?

I run an MVP motor,
and Takeoff CS-32 tires.
Out of the box springs (yellow). Red sway bars in the rear, and yellow sway bars front.
Camber set at 2.5 all around
Ride height set at 4.5 in front, and 6 in the rear,
3rd hole on the shock tower front, and all the way in on the shock tower rear (I'm a rookie.)
current gearing 96/34

I want to run the upcomming Hobby People race at Fountain Valley. I heard Tamiya is gonna be there to do a little expo. Would this setup be alright for a small concrete track w/ good to good medium traction? I'd rather change the pinion than the spur. I see everyone running 90 spurs for stock, but I like to run my mod motor in a nearby empty lot (They just laid down the asphalt! ground is so clean! traction is so sweet!!) anyone wanna help a rooke out? heheh thanks
AQuionIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 05:13 PM   #1466
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

19T short track I am running 34/96 for Stock you might be a touch under-geared for the MVP try 36/37
Old 03-20-2003, 05:20 PM   #1467
Tech Elite

I ran my EVO two weeks ago with the 96 spur. I don't remember the pinion, but final ratio was around 7.35 using the Monster Horsepower motor. I normally run my MVPs at around 6.60 to 6.70. Check the back of your manual for the correct pinion size. If your car is sluggish coming out of the turns, try blowing out your bearings. I got quite a bit of drag from them until I cleaned them out and put some light bearing oil on them. It really freed up my drivetrain. Prior to cleaning, my drivetrain would spin for less than half a second now it will spin for 9 seconds. Hope that helps
DOTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 02:20 PM   #1468
Tech Apprentice

I'm surprised not more people are contributing setup information.

As for me, I run stock on rubber at the moment. My setup is coming along, and when I am happy with it, I'll post it.

I'll also start working on a foam setup at some point, probably sometime in April.
ARC MotorSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 05:45 PM   #1469
Tech Elite

well difuser and i will be runnig outside here soon, so chances are you will start to see many outdoor setups on this thread.

indoors is over for us this year, time to play in the seattle sun!!!! (p.s. today's weather, pouring rain)

peter

Old 03-21-2003, 05:52 PM   #1470
Tech Adept

Default Looking at a Evo III

I am looking at getting a car to run carpet races. I currently run a xray and it does fine but I getting tired to switching set-ups between carpet and asphalt After reading through the boards it seems as though the only real problem is with a gear stripping in the front one-way. If this is the case I would like to order a few extras to go with the car. I am just a tad confused as to the gear that is stripping is it the Front one-way bevel gear (50979) or is it another gear?

Thanks for the help,
Matt
pkranger63 is offline   Reply With Quote