R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-13-2003, 06:52 PM   #1321
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by peter_robinson
sounds like stan will have me racin at the track this summer rather than workin in the shop, si it'll be on in the nitro class.

i can't wait to run my nitro car because i only got to run it once last year.

and i will be running my EVO III in the mod class, so we can battle in both nitro and electric!!!

peter
Yeah, he said the same with me too. I'll help you get your motor tuned and stuff like that. Ryan is telling me not to tune your motor because we might have no chance of winning then. I Don;t care though. I'll take it as a learning experience. I need to find an air leak in my novarossi, so I can have some more power on tap. I got my centex clutch in my car too. You are tempting me to get an evo 3. I'll have to see it action first.

-Korey "Sushi Boy"
Pro Spec America/Apex RC - Team ORCA - Awesomatix USA - Roche RC USA - AVID - Sweep - Protoform - Pro-One RC - Slapmaster Tools - Hebiki Design Works - Turtlemaster Racing - Seattle RC Racers - Timezone Hobbies
Korey Harbke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 07:09 PM   #1322
OVA
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)
Red face

Very Funny Dan..But anyway when are you comming out to race?
You're pass due you could have lost your touch
OVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 07:23 PM   #1323
OVA
Tech Champion

OK OK I know who you are Sushi boy Speaking of EVO3, the is the best Tamiya car and I wouldin mind of having one..
Old 03-13-2003, 07:57 PM   #1324
Tech Champion

I'm very tempted between the Evo3, The new Yokomo MR4-TC SD, and that Hpi pro 4 (maybe they wont screw up again).
Pro Spec America/Apex RC - Team ORCA - Awesomatix USA - Roche RC USA - AVID - Sweep - Protoform - Pro-One RC - Slapmaster Tools - Hebiki Design Works - Turtlemaster Racing - Seattle RC Racers - Timezone Hobbies
Old 03-13-2003, 08:06 PM   #1325
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to madjack

Quote:
Originally posted by Sushi Boy
I'm very tempted between the Evo3, The new Yokomo MR4-TC SD, and that Hpi pro 4 (maybe they wont screw up again).
If your a fan of the shaft you might want to consider the new Cuda R2?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ab01.jpg (72.0 KB, 150 views)
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 08:20 PM   #1326
Tech Champion

Actually, I was thinking of that too. It looks like everyone is gonna change to shaft drive. Mayeb X-Ray will...
Old 03-13-2003, 08:49 PM   #1327
OVA
Tech Champion

I don't think X-ray having shaft drive now..maybe later year
yokomo sd wait till they get all the bug out..
And the cuda r2 can't even get the spares parts and plus it's all mail order
Old 03-13-2003, 10:39 PM   #1328
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Franko I think I am done with carpet for the season I will be at FW and up at Redmond though and also kicking around Burien. We are running an F1 series that is almost over
Come on Korey impulse buy. You are welcome to try mine or Petes car it drives like a dream I want more outdoor time now with it.
Old 03-13-2003, 11:14 PM   #1329
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang
Default Foam tire/Carpet Update

hey guys,

I did a lot of changes to my EVO3 tonight running on a super tight black Ozite course tonight. I dont want to catalog it all now as its late and I am tired (1:15am). but every change made the car faster. From first heat to the main I went 0.4 seconds per lap faster and finished second in the A-main (behind Paul Ciccarello (A-main Nats and Snowbirds). And thats after getting killed on the start, getting blown on top of a board and having to wai to get marshalled.

Car was very easy to drive all night-but it was much faster by third qualifier and Main with sensible changes.

Ray
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 11:24 PM   #1330
Tech Champion

The first thing I can tell you is that I am going really stiff on this car for foam and its working better and better. Smoother and smoother and carrying more and more speed. I am up to yellow AE springs front and rear and front shocks stood up and rear shocks in second hole in from outside. Very little droop as well.

Chicky (Paul) was just plain old faster everywhere-but thats why he has been in 4-A-Mains out of four at HUGE races, but my car held its own in terms of corner speed. He had me on motor and driving a bit faster. His average lap time was 8.5 and mine was 8.6. His fastest lap was 8.2 and mine was 8.5-so pretty close.

Tomorrow I'll tell you what car was doing poorly and what I did to correct it-then twll you what car felt like after the changes!!!

Between mrodney and I-we should be able to dial you guys in on a set-up for foam/carpet.

Peter-my top deck was tweaked at one point-thanks for the tip!!!

Difuser-the modification to the crown gear is working!!! I had one going south and THEN did the modification you described and the gear survived all night!!!
Old 03-14-2003, 12:49 AM   #1331
Tech Adept

Can anyone explain the modification with pictures or draws??? sometimes my english is not "that" good LOL
Thank u
TRF_SPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 06:41 AM   #1332
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Hey Difuser

Difuser, could you please explain your fix to the one way problem more clearly? I don,t understand which part of which gear to cut off with side cutters. Thanks.
jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 08:00 AM   #1333
Tech Champion

Default Crown Mod

They say a pictures worth a thousand words-so here you guys go. I hope this makes sense!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crownmod1.jpg (17.4 KB, 184 views)
Old 03-14-2003, 08:08 AM   #1334
OVA
Tech Champion

Hey ray I don;t own Evo3 but ,picture wortha thousand words don't get it?
Old 03-14-2003, 08:32 AM   #1335
Tech Champion

Default Foam/Stock/Carpet set-up

I just realized that no-one probably cares to read my babblings on setting up the EVO3 for carpet-so please feel free to skip these next couple posts.

To start the track had a big sweeper off into a succesion of 180's and short chutes. Not a very demanding track by any stretch. The best part was a wiggle (chicane) onto the back stright that could make or break your lap time. That section was worth a good 0.2 sec. if you blew it!!! But could be taken flat out and almost straight if you nailed it. Basically-Car had purple AE springs front and rear, raised front roll center w/antidive and front and rear shocks laid in. Red sway bar front, none on rear.

My car "off the truck" was good, but w/ the 180's it was over-rotating around the 180s and that was killing my lap times because car would not be pointed in the right direction to set-up for the next corner-hence I was off throttle a split second too long and countersteering. But, since my cars front end (high roll center with antidive is designed to rotate-I took out the anti-dive and actually added a little kick-up instead. Result: car was smooth on exit and I could drive it on-power in the direction I wanted. At the same time I alo stood the front shocks up to stiffen the fron t shocks as the front was turning in well-but felt lazy.

AFter the first round-I was 5th or 6th due to OK car performance and quite a few stuffs (10 car heat on a small track-and too many slow guys w/ fast guys).

But I felt car was just too lazy and though it carried good speed to the apex-it was a tad slow off. So I put the AE Yellow springs up front and a red sway bar in back and stood rear shocks up one hole-but left the Purple springs in back. Went out for second qualifier and was on pace for 34 laps, but a crash and a sleeping marshall left me with 33 (which was very good). I ended up third.

In third qualifier-I felt car was fast in, better off, but it was still very planted and far from loose-so I put the AE yellows on back and no other changes. I put in a killer battery I hadnt run in a month and car was really-really good. I dropped my lap times 0.2 per lap consistently. I again was on 34 lap pace, but crashes did me in. I did 33 laps I think.

In the Main-I didnt change a thing. Car was really good and with the exception of Chicky- My EVO3 was one of the fastest cars.
Only three of us were consistently in the 8's and my laps were second fastest consistently.

Last edited by rayhuang; 03-14-2003 at 08:48 AM.