R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-19-2003, 10:56 AM   #961
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

chill out... dont freak... its easy... IF you have a nice exacto. just take the tip of the exacto and pry out the very tip of one of the clips that holds the shield in place, but make sure to hold onto the other side of the clip otherwise it will fly off. clean with your choice of liquid, relube, and place the metal shield back on. Now put the clip back in place and use the exacto tip to nudge it back into place. becareful not to cut yourself

take it easy and you wont even scratch the shields.
Aluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 11:19 AM   #962
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Guess I did sound a bit panicked....sorry guy's. I was just really surprised to see this type of bearing in this car. I would have thought it would have the plastic or rubber sealed ones. You guy's are the best....Thanks again.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 11:28 AM   #963
Tech Adept

hey ray

Glad to see that you decided to keep your evo3. I am testing some things on mine right now, but it seems like it is a really easy car to drive. I am not sure that I am comfortable with the one way yet, but time will tell. Right now I am preparing for the tamiya race in wisconsin, and I dont know if I will run the evo or the m2. Right now the m2 is pretty dialed with foams on, not sure about how dialed it is with rubber. After the race this weekend I will be testing the evo with foams.

Mark.
mrodney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 11:40 AM   #964
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Mark,

SOmeone else figured out why my car was slow no matter what!!! So it makes it much easier for me to decide to keep it since he found the problem. Basicallywhen I lowered the front ballstud kingpin, I didnt pay attention that the ballstud was now being pushed into the driveshaft!!! Once that was fixed-drivetrain started to free up nicely.

I also contacted Penguin RC the other day and inquired aboout getting a thicker or same thickness but torsionally stiffer chassis cut for me. I told him once i get car bak and drive it-if I feel the chassis still needs to be stiffer-I'll have him make me a chassis. I had there conversion on the original MR4TC (over three years ago) and it was very well made.

Ray
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 12:17 PM   #965
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to weaponx

Glad to here you got the problem solved on your Evo 3 Rayhuang, I think you will be pleasantly surprised now that it is running right. Good Luck
weaponx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 12:56 PM   #966
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

weapnx-I look forward to it-thanks. I also have a nice red JAG parts box filled with spares and option parts just waiting for me to test with!!! I am sure one of the first things will be to try the smaller hole pistons!!! The only thng left i need to buy is a diff!!!
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 04:16 PM   #967
Tech Adept

hey guys,

Just finished building my Evo3 and have a question with the drivetrain. There seems to be some binding in the gear case. I have disassembled it but can't seem to find out what. The shaft slides back and forth about 1mm an when i move it towards the rear, you can feel the binding. When I move it to the front, it's okay. Did any of you guys encounter this? Did you shim anything? The bearing on the motor mount seems to come out of it's place too. Hope you guys can help me with this. I do appreciate it.
Denso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 04:36 PM   #968
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I broke in the original gearsets on my car 2-3v for about 15 to 20 mins I also filed the back side of the crown gear to remove the flashing from it. it might be a slight bit of extra mat'l some where.

The only shimming I have done is working with lash on the crown and ring .1-.3 max is about all you need if that much

Dan
Old 02-19-2003, 08:23 PM   #969
Tech Fanatic

haha! i got my outdrives and now have a front ball diff put together and in the car! woohoo! no mo oneway probs for me!
(if i ever get the electrics for it... )

Do you have to change the standard setup to compensate for the front ball diff on rubber tires? Man i want to run this thing sooo bad!

hey denso, did you put in the spur adaptor the right way?...If you reverse it, I found it does that.
Aluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 12:41 AM   #970
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Question:

At the front of the car, which mounting blocks are you using? It has A/A in the intstructions -- so that the angle of the pins is 0 degrees -- but I have seen some people run D/A. Is this beneficial in any way?

I know there's a name for that adjustment, and I can't think of it at the moment...
Old 02-20-2003, 02:20 AM   #971
Tech Regular

whats the best spur/pinion combinatation with the evo 3 when running a;

roar 27t stock motor
12t motor
11t
10t
9t
8t

is the setup suggested in the manual is the best setup for the evo 3 for asphalt racing?

what other hop-ups can i put on my evo3 to improve its performance?

thanks.
corsec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 09:02 AM   #972
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by futureal
Question:

At the front of the car, which mounting blocks are you using? It has A/A in the intstructions -- so that the angle of the pins is 0 degrees -- but I have seen some people run D/A. Is this beneficial in any way?

I know there's a name for that adjustment, and I can't think of it at the moment...
Futureal, what that does is give you a fix toe-in or toe-out which can be done from the steering turnbuckle anyway. I don't see any benefit to it because your gonna want to have easy access when adjusting your toe anyhow. Also remember that to much toe will give to much speed hendering top speed. Maybe I'm missing something here...anyone has answers why this can be of benefit?
izzyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 09:17 AM   #973
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Futureal I just started trying this it allows weight to transfer easier without having kick-up in the front. Look at the Losi and you will see the same molded in. It works quite nice lots of turn-in grip that stys with the car all the way through the turn

D
Old 02-20-2003, 09:30 AM   #974
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Aaaahhh!
izzyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 01:56 PM   #975
Tech Fanatic

hey guys

help! urgent assistance needed.

I got home from work last night and pulled apart my evo 3 to flush all the bearings out, that worked out no problem, spins like crazy now, however I put the car back together, and now, when you hit the acceleration, and then let go, if you hold the car on a angle, as the one way spins, one of the wheels click depending on what angle. But when you put the car on the ground, no sound at all. There was also some wear on the ball cups where the wheels were rubbing.

I pulled the car apart 3 times trying to figure out where it has come from. It must be from the wheels hitting something at that angle. I also noticed that the wheels/axle has a bit of slop to move in and out, i haven't noticed that before is that normal? thanx guys need your help on this one as I have to race tonight!

Thanx guys
hawker is offline   Reply With Quote