R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-17-2003, 05:52 PM   #916
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Talking car good....

This car is as good as any top of the line tourer right now.I would say get yourself some spare oneway gears,even though the kit gives you 3.That I would say is the main issue with the car.Other then that the normal things like front /rear arms and carriers and hinge pins.Just in case.everything else is pretty bullet proof.Anyone else have suggestions /issue with the car?
racenut123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 06:05 PM   #917
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to weaponx

I also highly recommend the car, and like racenut123 said pick up extra one way gears, that is the only real weak point in the car. and it never hurts to have extra arms or hinge pins as stated above.
weaponx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 07:18 PM   #918
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

The One Way gear issue, is only an issue when you hit hard, it does not occur during normal use.
So the more careful you are the less likely it will happen. Maybe this will also keep us from driving carelessly and concentrate on being even better. We also have put different ways to help lessen this issue from happening within this thread.
izzyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 07:25 PM   #919
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

one way gears as in the one directly driven/in contact with the shaft?ok.also i think i'll be using the standard diffs half the time.
hinge pins..are they same as any other brands?i mean can i fit a TA04 hinge pni or an HPI hinge pin?im asking since these are easily available here..for that matter what else is interchangeable for the TB?
arms and carriers.check.
thanks.
so there isnt anyone here that wouldnt recommend this car?
im almost 80% set on getting this..either this or 414m2 but it's difficult to find a shop with stock.
lee82gx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 07:33 PM   #920
Tech Elite

I have had a one way gear go with out hittting anything so that is not the only time it is an issue. If you shim the front one way it greatly reduces the chance of stripping the gear. There seems to be a little too much backlash in the front and with the gear itself being too flexible gears can go.
Old 02-17-2003, 07:40 PM   #921
Tech Elite

i forgot im new to tamiya..
so can u guys please give me the part number for the one way gear and also carriers and the arms?
i notice there are roll bars for sale..i thought these already come in the kit?
thanks
Old 02-17-2003, 07:43 PM   #922
Tech Elite

the sway bars are included, the one way gear #50979, the arms part #9004131
Old 02-17-2003, 09:11 PM   #923
Tech Regular

I also recommend fitting a larger bumper to the car as it does offer some protection during a hit. I'm currentlly running a tc3 foam bumper.
itchynads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 10:07 PM   #924
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by lee82gx
one way gears as in the one directly driven/in contact with the shaft?ok.also i think i'll be using the standard diffs half the time.
hinge pins..are they same as any other brands?i mean can i fit a TA04 hinge pni or an HPI hinge pin?im asking since these are easily available here..for that matter what else is interchangeable for the TB?
arms and carriers.check.
thanks.
so there isnt anyone here that wouldnt recommend this car?
im almost 80% set on getting this..either this or 414m2 but it's difficult to find a shop with stock.
this is definately a car that you should consider getting, it has already catapulted itself to the winners circle in a ton a races, all arround the world. as most everyone has said, the one way gears are troublesome. the problem truly results form the gear being over tightened.

when building the one-way, it seems that most people are tightening the screws down too tightly. this is causing the gear to flex, (since it is only held onto the one-way by four screws) and the flex is causing improper mesh at four points on the gear. the result is when you strike a board or pipe ON POWER, you will be causing this poor gear mesh to slip, thus ruining the one-way gear.

there are degrees of "fixed" for this problem...

the easiest that i have found is when assembling the one-way, use tamiya blue thread lock on the screws, and only tighten the screws flush with the gear. this will keep the gear from flexing as little as possible.

the more time consuming fix is to make some kind of shim that supports the pressure of the screws, arround the diameter of the gear. i have tried this with a custom ring that i made from spare carbon fiber, and have found that if you do as i have instructed above, then you will have no need to hand make a washer.

hope this sheds some light on the subject, and helps you in your decision.

peter

RC-Trim | Serpent USA | On-Point | Trinity | Revtech | ORCA | BSR | KO Propo | PT RC Racing Oil | WTRC | rcpitwhores.com
peter_robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 10:21 PM   #925
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to fabolousRC Send a message via Yahoo to fabolousRC

are you a TRF driver now, Mr. Robinson? Cool. Congratulation. I guess we'll be seeing you a lot on the major races then

Lex Tyler Paints \ Norcal Hobbies \ Bay Area Peninsula R/C Club
fabolousRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 10:24 PM   #926
Tech Elite

thanks pete
so only one problem which CAN be overcome.
i already asked for a full quote...maybe in 2-3 weeks time i'll be asking for exact details on how to fix it...
really appreciate the warm welcome and speedy replies.
Old 02-17-2003, 10:25 PM   #927
Tech Elite

yes, that has just come about, and i feel greatly honored to represent a team and a company that i have admired for so many years!

by the way, who is this?

peter

RC-Trim | Serpent USA | On-Point | Trinity | Revtech | ORCA | BSR | KO Propo | PT RC Racing Oil | WTRC | rcpitwhores.com
Old 02-17-2003, 10:28 PM   #928
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by lee82gx
thanks pete
so only one problem which CAN be overcome.
i already asked for a full quote...maybe in 2-3 weeks time i'll be asking for exact details on how to fix it...
really appreciate the warm welcome and speedy replies.
i'm sure that you will love the car, by the way, may i ask what chassis you were running prior to considering the EVO III?

peter

Old 02-17-2003, 10:35 PM   #929
Tech Elite

peter:
im VERY excited about it too...
and please stay around to help us not so non-sponsored plain fun rc'ers..
b4 this i was running a Pro 3 with 300 bucks of upgrades..
and was offered cash 250 for it so i took the chance and voila im here trying to buy a shaft car.
main reasons why:
1.I have loved Tamiya ever since i know the words Toy & hobby
2.i want a shaft car
3.it has just been released not ending it's cycle.
4.i want a full blown racing kit.

Lee
Old 02-17-2003, 10:38 PM   #930
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Peter is THE Tamiya guy aroudn where I race. He knows his stuff, I've already learned a ton from him for the short time I've known him. I'm actually tryign to figure out if I want and evo 3 or a 1/12 pan car.