Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to fabolousRC Send a message via Yahoo to fabolousRC

Quote:
Originally posted by MarNaDaKi
Aluma :

Trust me, you don't want to deal with the diff outdrives

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=++&search3=Go

of the gear diff. They are as soft as butter. Even the suppose-to-be-option hardened ones are softer. The problem is that the slot become wider and wider to the point where the dogbone interfere the diff action by wanting to get stock inside it. Don't know how to explain it better.

Now, what's wrong with plastic outdrives ? I wanted to get rid of my steel outdrives in favor of plastic ones and you want to replace your plastic one for steel ones.
I really don't think that was the issue that Aluma was concerning about. What he meant as the plastic outdrives were actually Tamiya barestock dogbones with plastic ends on it (I don't remember having those in the rally car, Aluma). The way you were describing me about outdrives being worn out, I can take that you never use the rubber O ring that supposed to be there to prevent the dog bones in the first place. Thus, Tamiya does not offer plastic outdrives other than for EVO3, 414 series and the TA04 series.

About the super smooth diff action..I think that's just the ball bearings, man!

Lex Tyler Paints \ Norcal Hobbies \ Bay Area Peninsula R/C Club
fabolousRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 09:33 PM   #828
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

the new car is great!

i have to say that even though the suspension is similar to the 414 which i was running prior to my EVo III, the new car is leaps and bounds better than the 414.

all it takes is some time spent on getting every last bit of friction out of the drivetrain... mine will now sit there and spin for at least 3-3.5 seconds after giving it the slightest ammount of force to aet it a spinnin

RC-Trim | Serpent USA | On-Point | Trinity | Revtech | ORCA | BSR | KO Propo | PT RC Racing Oil | WTRC | rcpitwhores.com
peter_robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 10:53 PM   #829
Tech Initiate

I just recieved my evo 3 and was wondering if i can use the ball diff from my TAO4 instead of the one way??
JRAM62274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 03:34 AM   #830
Tech Adept

The setup from the Yama Yama cup is posted on the Tamiya Japan website, check it!, if there´s a japanese here, please translate all the tips!! thank you
NOTE- my prevus setup was form the car of nao jun, instead of Maezumi, but as you can see is quite similar
TRF_SPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 04:12 AM   #831
Tech Fanatic

Post a link to the exact page you want translated and I'll see what I can do...

Steevo
Steevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 04:28 AM   #832
Tech Fanatic

Default Setting Sheet

I downloaded a PDF file setting sheet for the EVOIII from the Mountains Cup. If this is what you are after send me a PM with your email address and I'll send it to you.....

Steevo
Steevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 05:33 AM   #833
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

really...wow... I didnt know the steel ones were so weak.... my evo2's hardened ones have just a little groove were the pin meet the cup... I just switch sides. So the plastic ones are stronger? cool. and yes I do use the little orings inside the cups, plus I use white lightinin in there as well. I haven't had any probs with it getting stuck or anything like that. maybe we should get those rectangular dogbone pin shields that IRS makes for the TC3 to fit perfectly in the cup's slots. well, what i was trying to get across before is that we dont have evo3 parts...and its gonna be a while before we do.. thus why dont we just use the TG10 ball diffs or the TB01 gear diffs instead of the evo3's new stuff. While we wait for its parts to become available, we can find the right setup of everything else without having to worry about breaking a oneway gear and not being able to run for weeks cuz they aint available. Sure, it wont be as smooth, but wouldn't it be better to trade a bit of smoothness for being able to FINISH a race?
Aluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 07:37 AM   #834
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by JRAM62274
I just recieved my evo 3 and was wondering if i can use the ball diff from my TAO4 instead of the one way??
all of the internal parts (i.e. diff rings, diff balls, thrust bearing, and the spring and diff nut) i'm pretty sure that the diff screw will work to, but i have not checked it out personally.

but the TAO4 outdrives will not work, you will need to get some additional EVO III diff halves to make your front diff.

i do not know if the parts are available here in the states yet, so you may have to order them from a japanese website such as rainbow ten (this is where is got mine)

peter

RC-Trim | Serpent USA | On-Point | Trinity | Revtech | ORCA | BSR | KO Propo | PT RC Racing Oil | WTRC | rcpitwhores.com
peter_robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 08:41 AM   #835
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Gee... I started this thread...
and I still don't have an EVO-III

With the few problem that the car is having...
I guess I'll wait for the PRO4 to be released this year.

SPEEDTECH|FUTABA|KO|ORION|SPEEDWORLD|HARA
rc-zombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 08:42 AM   #836
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Aluma
The parts for the EVO diffs are all new the ring diameter is smaller for the new diff. Unfortunately none of the E2 parts will work. Tamiya USA should have the parts soon, as Peter said above you can also bring in from offshore

Dan
Old 02-12-2003, 08:49 AM   #837
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to weaponx

There are not really any problems with the car. As far as the front one way if you shim it to get rid of a little backlash in the front gear box you should not have any problems.
weaponx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 09:07 AM   #838
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to KINGZJ

I heard this second hand but the evo's at the snow birds had allot of problems with the front one-way's I was told that fernando went through 11 gears. Other than that the car seems good I am sure tamiya will come up with a proper fix very soon.
KINGZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 07:13 PM   #839
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

11 GEARS! Holly Molly Batman!
He must have good contacts from Tamiya having 11 gears on hand!
izzyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 08:59 PM   #840
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Izzy, I'm gonna smack you on Saturday! lol Fernando races for Tamiya lol. Okay gotta go build some batteries
rtypec is offline   Reply With Quote