R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-08-2003, 09:05 PM   #751
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Iso Octane
Are you serious, or just trying to get a point across?
Yes I'm serious. You can blow on the spur and the drivetrain will spin up. If you blow it with a compressor it spools up insanely hehe
rtypec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 09:16 PM   #752
Tech Regular

Yes, i've seen and heard of super-free drivetrains like that before.

My TB-01's drivetrain (not the EVO series) is more free than my 414M! I'll try blowing on it sometime.
Aurra Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 10:31 PM   #753
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by rtypec
Yes I'm serious. You can blow on the spur and the drivetrain will spin up.
Yikes I'm sooo gonna try this
Iso Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 11:43 PM   #754
Tech Regular

Ok just put the Evo 3 through my club's first race meet for the year and it survived!

The key to protecting the diff gear is to shim the one-way using spacers between the bearing and one way axle. I used a single 0.1mm 10mm spacer.

Another thing to watch out for is to ensure that you use metal thread screws to replace the tapping screws that hold the gear case. The tapping screws seem to work their way out after the threads in the gear case wear a little. I fount out the hard way after not finishing a race because my car had turned into a 2WD touring car whemnthe front gear case popped out!

The car handled reasonably well considering it was my first time out on the track for this year with this car. The track is a medium grip ashphalt track with a long straight >50m and a few high speed flowing corners.

No problems with straight line speed or punch out the corners, the car flew. Unfortunately I lost out big time getting into the corners. The car scrubbed a lot of speed. Most likely a problem with the steering ackerman or maybe I'll have to dial out a lot of drag brakes out of the ESC.

At the start of the day, the car was tail happy with the rear end swinging all over the place. Fixed it by removing nearly all droop in the rear of the car.

Managed to only finish 2 races thanks to a few minor issues:

1. The car lost the front diff case after the screws came undone

2. The car lost its steering link when it popped out after clipping a corner.

3. Motor wire became unsoldered due to dodgy soldering on my part

When the car was running without a hitch it did well considering my average driving skill I'm usually 2 laps behind the pace but with the Evo 3 I managed to only be behind the pace by less than a lap. Despite this I was still relegated to the B final which is not too bad considering the amount of talent at our track.

Last edited by itchynads; 02-09-2003 at 12:28 AM.
itchynads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 03:38 AM   #755
Tech Fanatic

Ordered my Evo 3 from rcmodel last night, hopefully they will have them in stock on the 15th so i shud have it soon after that. I have also ordered the TRF tool set and a TRF setup board have any of you seen the TRF tools? Are they as good as the Hudy ones? Thanks Rick
Rick Draper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 04:12 AM   #756
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Draper
Ordered my Evo 3 from rcmodel last night, hopefully they will have them in stock on the 15th so i shud have it soon after that. I have also ordered the TRF tool set and a TRF setup board have any of you seen the TRF tools? Are they as good as the Hudy ones? Thanks Rick
yes i have the TRF tools and they are da best! very cool looking and great to use. just be careful with the setup board, it scratches easy.....
Old 02-09-2003, 04:14 AM   #757
Tech Champion

Ive had all sorts of handling issues with my TB EVO III, not once has it behaved! i have not yet been able to strike a balanced setup, any way i'll keep trying....
Old 02-09-2003, 04:30 AM   #758
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by black-knight
Ive had all sorts of handling issues with my TB EVO III, not once has it behaved! i have not yet been able to strike a balanced setup, any way i'll keep trying....
I know what you mean

I've been trying to sort out the steering of the car. I've only been able to get it to a.) steer aggressively or b.) understeer I'm still trying to strike a balance.

It doesn't help that I have no experience with shaft cars apart from a short stint on my Alex Racing Barracuda.

I'm happy just to have been able to sort out the rear end from swaying about. Now the rear end feels too planted I'm pretty sure that getting the correct rear droop is the key.

At least the Evo 3 will keep me busy for a few months until the Assassin arrives on the scene....then its back to square 1 I seem to spend more time tweaking my cars than racing them...oh well at least its fun.
Old 02-09-2003, 05:19 AM   #759
Daf
Tech Rookie

Itchy,

Good to finally meet you at the track. Sorry I didn't get to stay for the whole meeting and have a decent chat. Can't remember which class you were running in, but in the stock class the Evo's seemed to be planted with the kit set up or very close to it.

I haven't had the screws back out of the front gear case yet - you recomend using machine thread to stop this?

The thing that I noticed playing a big part in gettting the car dialled was the inners in the tires - everyone had the take off 27's on but running a harder an insert made the the rear loose whilst a softer insert and the car pushed. I have been adjusting the handling on other cars (and the Evo has been no different in the first hit out today) using the droop (as you correctly worked out - I run about 2.5-3mm at the rear) and the inserts. It seemed that the harder inserts made the car that bit looser which made you drive it harder and thus meant a faster time.

Remember the old saying "loose is fast" (within reason of course).
Daf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 05:28 AM   #760
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Daf
Itchy,

Good to finally meet you at the track. Sorry I didn't get to stay for the whole meeting and have a decent chat. Can't remember which class you were running in, but in the stock class the Evo's seemed to be planted with the kit set up or very close to it.

I haven't had the screws back out of the front gear case yet - you recomend using machine thread to stop this?

The thing that I noticed playing a big part in gettting the car dialled was the inners in the tires - everyone had the take off 27's on but running a harder an insert made the the rear loose whilst a softer insert and the car pushed. I have been adjusting the handling on other cars (and the Evo has been no different in the first hit out today) using the droop (as you correctly worked out - I run about 2.5-3mm at the rear) and the inserts. It seemed that the harder inserts made the car that bit looser which made you drive it harder and thus meant a faster time.

Remember the old saying "loose is fast" (within reason of course).
Hi Daf,

Yeh well your tl01 made us look bad

Due to the number of times I had to remove the gear case to replace the diff gears (before I used the shim trick) the threads ended up wearing a little. The metal thread screws seemed to distribute the load much better, grip better and tend to strip less, in my opinion anyway.

I'm pretty sure I'm running about 3mm of droop at the rear and about 1mm in front. So looks like that is about right.

As for the tires, I was using TO 27's with the include blue medium inserts. I found the wear around the edges to be slightly worse than what I'm used to. Looks like the inserts may be too soft. Might try a harder insert next time round.
Old 02-09-2003, 08:47 AM   #761
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

We received a limited number of the front one-way diff gear for the EVOIII from Tamiya, I will get them on the website as soon as I can. I only have about a dozen of them or so.

Steve Wang
Speed Tech R/C
www.speedtechrc.com
SpeedTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 12:33 PM   #762
Tech Regular

hey all, this is my first carbon chassis, and i was just wondering when you seal the edges with CA glue do you just do the Chassis and top deck or should i seal the edges of all the carbon bits?
thanx.
by the way my oneway gear is also warped alittle. just a bad bunch i spose.
GTMilenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 01:51 PM   #763
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by itchynads
I know what you mean

I've been trying to sort out the steering of the car. I've only been able to get it to a.) steer aggressively or b.) understeer I'm still trying to strike a balance.

It doesn't help that I have no experience with shaft cars apart from a short stint on my Alex Racing Barracuda.

I'm happy just to have been able to sort out the rear end from swaying about. Now the rear end feels too planted I'm pretty sure that getting the correct rear droop is the key.

At least the Evo 3 will keep me busy for a few months until the Assassin arrives on the scene....then its back to square 1 I seem to spend more time tweaking my cars than racing them...oh well at least its fun.
hmmm, bit of a Corally fan...

i will also be running an Assassin.
Old 02-09-2003, 03:45 PM   #764
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by black-knight
hmmm, bit of a Corally fan...
i will also be running an Assassin.
Never ran a Corally in my life....I'm just a fan of nice looking cars (ie. 414m2 and Evo3)

The direct drive version/single belt version looks interesting...should be quick.
Old 02-09-2003, 04:14 PM   #765
Tech Regular

Was e-mailed should be getting myt evo 3 from rc model in a few days.
sportracer is offline   Reply With Quote