R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-02-2006, 07:36 PM   #7111
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2B Anthony
Does anyone know the F201 bevel pinion gear is suitable for TBevo3 or TB02?
yes, they are compatible.
tony q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 11:09 PM   #7112
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Hey Guys,
I got a TB-02R and I'm not having problems stripping the one-way gear (put an Evo IV gear on), but I'm stripping the inside of the bevel gear. Any ideas on how to fix this?
Thanks!
ittjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 10:28 AM   #7113
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittjv
Hey Guys,
I got a TB-02R and I'm not having problems stripping the one-way gear (put an Evo IV gear on), but I'm stripping the inside of the bevel gear. Any ideas on how to fix this?
Thanks!
Hey ittjv,
I also own a 02R an evo III, evo IV, and Evo V.

The gear ratio on the 02R and evo III is the same.
As the name evolution suggests these cars are constantly changing. The gear ratio on the evo IV is 2.2940. The evo III is 2.6. So more than likley the gears are not meshed correctly. Not sure where Tamiya made the adjustment(bevel or one way gear-diff gear or both) but I think this would be a good place to start.

Are you using the alloy one way gear or the plastic? Not sure if its possible to use the IV's bevel in the III but this would give you the correct gear mesh if the changes were made in both the one way/diff gear and the bevel. Or just go back to the III's correct one way/diff gear.

Also SHIMS . Make sure all of your gears and shaft inputs are shimed properly. Too much play side to side or back and forth will cause problems.

Someone please correct me if I am misleading people, as I myself was also mislead in that case.

Good luck W/ your 02R. Really hope this helps
Dtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 10:41 AM   #7114
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtech
Hey ittjv,
I also own a 02R an evo III, evo IV, and Evo V.

The gear ratio on the 02R and evo III is the same.
As the name evolution suggests these cars are constantly changing. The gear ratio on the evo IV is 2.2940. The evo III is 2.6. So more than likley the gears are not meshed correctly. Not sure where Tamiya made the adjustment(bevel or one way gear-diff gear or both) but I think this would be a good place to start.

Are you using the alloy one way gear or the plastic? Not sure if its possible to use the IV's bevel in the III but this would give you the correct gear mesh if the changes were made in both the one way/diff gear and the bevel. Or just go back to the III's correct one way/diff gear.

Also SHIMS . Make sure all of your gears and shaft inputs are shimed properly. Too much play side to side or back and forth will cause problems.

Someone please correct me if I am misleading people, as I myself was also mislead in that case.

Good luck W/ your 02R. Really hope this helps
Ittjv , The diff gear teeth is the same from the evo3 and the evo4. But, the bevel gear changed from the two chassis. The problem your having, is the same problem everyone has with the evo3. The evo3 might be tamiyas best handling chassis, but srtips teeth way to much. That's why none of the factory tamiya drove it very long. You need to not only shim the front gears correctly, but the rear as well. You may have to put a small shim on the diff covers to free the drive train up , also.
You can use the diff gear from either car for either car, but not the bevel gear.
Juan Aveytia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 10:46 AM   #7115
Tech Apprentice

Thanks Juan for clearing it up for us. Never tried to swap out diff gears. Now I know for sure.
Dtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 11:50 AM   #7116
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

You also have to keep in mind that the shaft locates the crown gear. You need to keep an eye on the ends of the shaft, because the shaft and the crown gear wear out and effect the mesh.

It takes some time and patience because it all has to be assembled almost completely to check the lash and the gear mesh correctly, but once you get the mesh right, the car is hands-down the toughest car out there.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 02:16 PM   #7117
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Okay, I realized how I was supposed to set the fore/aft lash on the shaft itself. I just put some spacers behind the rear bevel gear/bearing until there was very little play. This lets the shaft fit into the front bevel gear as far as it can go. I also reset the 10mm spacers on the front one-way and rear ball diff. The mesh was way too tight as there no play whatsoever between the bevel gear and diff gear. The drive train now feels just as smooth, but with very, very little movement in the shaft. Let's see if this works! We'll probably be racing at So Cal with it tomorrow. Thanks guys!!!
- JV
ittjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 11:39 PM   #7118
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesar Ramos
... suspension shaft
use the ta05 shaft, the evo3 is longer (by how much? don't know) also use different spacers...
Just for the record, if anyone is interested , the evo3 suspension shafts are 51.3mm and 49.7mm for the ta05. The difference in length makes a very very small difference in the amount of toe angle change from one size suspension block to the next.

HTH
peejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 05:30 PM   #7119
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

does anybody have a web address to Jurgen's site? just curious to know if hw created a spool for the EVO V

thanks

vic
hierog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:42 PM   #7120
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hierog
does anybody have a web address to Jurgen's site? just curious to know if hw created a spool for the EVO V

thanks

vic
The evo4 spool will work with no mods in the evo3.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:59 AM   #7121
Tech Fanatic

thanks for the info, but i was needing info about the evo V

vic
Old 02-22-2007, 07:41 AM   #7122
Tech Master

Quote:
thanks for the info, but i was needing info about the evo V

vic
My bad. If you want a spool for the evo4 , just buy one from tamiya. I have an evo4 with a spool I can sell for a good price. It basicly an ms version, cause it has all the hop-ups except the bulk heads. And I have alot of diff and one-way gears new. No ring gears though. Clear diff covers. Sweet ride. It's always on pace. I just don't get a chance to run it anymore.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:17 AM   #7123
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I have a tb evo 3 surikarn that i am selling. Mint condition. asking 150.00 in the for sale thread. pics too. Paypal only. Thanks fat.
fat500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:08 PM   #7124
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Aveytia
My bad. If you want a spool for the evo4 , just buy one from tamiya. I have an evo4 with a spool I can sell for a good price. It basicly an ms version, cause it has all the hop-ups except the bulk heads. And I have alot of diff and one-way gears new. No ring gears though. Clear diff covers. Sweet ride. It's always on pace. I just don't get a chance to run it anymore.

LOL, you're killing me!! EVO V!!!
Old 02-22-2007, 08:45 PM   #7125
Tech Master

Quote:
LOL, you're killing me!! EVO V!!!
Spools suck anyways. Wheel it with a one-way. Buy another set of aluminum diff outdrives, get some sand paper and cut some circles out the seize of the diff ring and leave the diff balls out. Tighten all the way and use the plastic blades. Chatter shouldn't be bad. Try to use (2) locknuts to keep it tight. Someguy on rctech, I think goes by the name ewippler can shave the weight on the diff halves in half and keep the strength, which will help the car from chattering. This solution will work.