R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-02-2003, 04:38 PM   #661
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by futureal
Once again, anybody have Jun's setup from this past January's Novak US TC Champs Race in Milwaukee?
I would like this setup too!
Old 02-02-2003, 05:12 PM   #662
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey All, I'll try to get a hold of DJ sometime this week and ask him about the setup for you guys.
rtypec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 06:10 PM   #663
R/C Tech Founder

Thanks!

I'm running a TCS race with the same car at the same track later on tis month, I want to have something to start with. There will be a ton less traction, plus I have no idea how the Type A Tamiya tires will perform, but it should be a good place to start.
Old 02-02-2003, 07:21 PM   #664
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to weaponx

does anyone get a clicking noise in the drive train? I get a clicking noise in my evo 3 when I am coming off the corner and I get on the throttle( I dont get the clicking anywhere else), I have checked everything over (rest of the car) and it looks good. someone told me that there maybe to much backlash in the front tranny case. Has anyone had this happen and what did you do to solve this problem. Thanks in advance
weaponx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 12:37 AM   #665
Tech Regular

Hey everyone, i'm picking up my Evo III in a few days, any setup tips for me? i'm pretty new to RC. i race it on smallish ashpaht area, what weight damper oil should i use?
i hear some people don't use grease in the diff? is this safe? should i just use a really light diff grease? is that no grease at all?
thanx all
GTMilenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 01:10 AM   #666
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by GTMilenko
Hey everyone, i'm picking up my Evo III in a few days, any setup tips for me? i'm pretty new to RC. i race it on smallish ashpaht area, what weight damper oil should i use?
i hear some people don't use grease in the diff? is this safe? should i just use a really light diff grease? is that no grease at all?
thanx all

i have 60wt i my car at the moment, i race on foam tires, if you race on rubber maybe go lighter to say...40? to start i'd suggest running the car pretty much as is out of the box and see what it does.
Old 02-03-2003, 09:39 AM   #667
Tech Elite

weaponx your clicking is the beginning of a 1-way going south for the winter.
I have been playing around with shimming the crown gear to tighten up the mesh and it seems to help with the slight penalty of drag but with the car bearings cleaned etc you should not find the drag to be that bad. Be sure to use a dry lube on the ring and crown gears to help keep friction down

On another note the EVO scores another win this last weekend we had a Hobby Expo race that seems to turn into a regional rivalry. The E3 was consistently .2 faster for fastest lap per round above both X-Ray, Losi and TC3's. It was fun having guys ask to see a lowly Tamiya car and remark how nice the car looked both on and off track.
Ahh more converts to the church of Tamiya

Dan
Difuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 09:52 AM   #668
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default expo

So Dan did you win? Thinking about buying an Evo3 for club racing but might get a 414 if the price is right. Is the Evo that much better.

Tom
tomdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 11:28 AM   #669
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by black-knight
i have 60wt i my car at the moment, i race on foam tires, if you race on rubber maybe go lighter to say...40? to start i'd suggest running the car pretty much as is out of the box and see what it does.
thanx black-knight i'll try some 40wt ,how about the diff grease?
is the grease it comes with ok?
GTMilenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 12:35 PM   #670
Tech Elite

Thanks for the info Diffuser.
Old 02-03-2003, 12:41 PM   #671
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default Shimming the front oneway.

You have to shim it in order to reduce the gap between the crown and pinion gear in the front gear box.Put a .03 10 mm shim between the oneway unit and bearing on the left side. I havent had a problem with it since.I raced my evo yesteday @ the tcs race and was very pleased.I just got back to racing after a 2 year break and finished 4th overall which I do attribute to the car because I practiced with both the 414m2 and the evo and it was way more consistant and smooth.I noticed that its silky smooth,but incredibly crisp in acceleration.I am sticking with the car even if I have to buy 100 front one way gears.

Also I talked to the Tamiya representative yesterday about the 1 way gear and he looked at me like, your crazy there is nothing wrong with the cars front oneway,its you.I would have accepted this excuse if I was the only one having this problem but,I am not and so If we want them to resolve it,we need to email tamiya usa or japan and tell them about it.He said he never heard of it before.He also blamed those that bought kits from asia before they released it from tamiya usa.I thought it was a joke and don't really like tamiyas tech support.They always make excuses.I have called on several different occasions.Love their cars though!
racenut123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 01:05 PM   #672
Tech Elite

do you know where I could purchase that size shim, I have been to two hobby shops and can not find a shim that works. Thanks
Old 02-03-2003, 01:38 PM   #673
Tech Elite

It's a Kyosho shim they have a kit for the different sizes I got mine over in Japan but I do know they are stateside.

Tom, I like it better than the 414 the car pulls hard off the turn and is real smooth I drove with a spool and a 1-way yesterday and the car is great both ways.
When you coming up here let me know and I'll bring the E3 for you to take a spin with

D
Difuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 01:42 PM   #674
Tech Elite

Difuser I have a Kyosho shim kit part #BS53, that is not the kit you are referring to is it. It had an 8 mm inner diameter shim but not a 10 mm inner daimeter shim. D you have the part number. Thanks
Old 02-03-2003, 01:43 PM   #675
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default Evo3

It will be a month or two. Moving into a new house this month. Its a pain in the #$%#. I'm working on freeing up the TA04 so it might roll more than two inches after i push it(w/o motor). I still wonder how I made it to the main last year. Can't wait to get up there and do some racing.

Tom
tomdav is offline   Reply With Quote