R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-28-2003, 11:21 PM   #616
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default What is going on?

So what is going on with this thread? The "early birds" stopped posting about the performance of the Evo 3. Calling Black Knight, Itchy Nads, KINGJZ, STEEVO, Steve Wang, et al. What are your findings so far. I know Ray already dropped off the bandwagon, for the trusty TC3 and Losi. Is it what it is all hyped up to be? Is it living up to your expectations? Any more problems, like the clicking, stripped one-way gear, etc. Sorry for the barrage of questions, but inquiring minds want to know! Please share some info. Thanks!!
elnitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 11:50 PM   #617
Tech Regular

Default Re: What is going on?

Quote:
Originally posted by elnitro
So what is going on with this thread? The "early birds" stopped posting about the performance of the Evo 3. Calling Black Knight, Itchy Nads, KINGJZ, STEEVO, Steve Wang, et al. What are your findings so far. I know Ray already dropped off the bandwagon, for the trusty TC3 and Losi. Is it what it is all hyped up to be? Is it living up to your expectations? Any more problems, like the clicking, stripped one-way gear, etc. Sorry for the barrage of questions, but inquiring minds want to know! Please share some info. Thanks!!
I haven't had any more stripped front gears since I threadlocked the gear screws (fingers crossed).

As for the clicking, I haven't yet experienced it.

Still pretty happy with how the car is going so no complaints from me
itchynads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 12:34 AM   #618
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

Uh oh, confession time: I sold my EVOIII the past weekend. A local racer really wanted the car, and since I personally want to work on My 414M2 and just concentrate on that car, I sold him my EVOIII. There was nothing wrong with the EVOIII, it's a great car, but I would like to concentrate on just one car (it gets to be too much when I have more than one top of the line car that I'm racing with) and I am more comfortable with my M2 since I had it longer, so I decided to stick with that chassis. I'll probably pick up the EVOIII again later on in the year.

Steve Wang
Speed Tech R/C
www.speedtechrc.com
SpeedTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 10:50 AM   #619
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

The EVO3 is an awesome car with tons of potential. For example-in its very first outing-I was on a 26 5:06 pace (TQ was a 27 5:0???) and it was the slowest car in speed of ALL of the TC's there that day. It handled that well that I was still running a solid A-main run. People were asking me what 540 motor was I running??

But-it isnt so much better in handling over my TC3 and Losi that its worth the cash invested. Thats the biggest reason for selling for me. That and I cannot get the straightline speed out of it.

I have spoken with a number of guys via e-mail and they are flying with them and I think I might know how to make mine a lot faster-but again-for the money-I am better off selling, sticking with my other cars and using the cash to get ready for the USTC race in Feb..
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 11:31 AM   #620
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to KINGZJ

The reason I have not posted is because I do not have any new info. I was unable to get a evo 3 I thought I was but they never came in and then I talked myself out of it. Don't get me wrong I still think the car is incredible but without having one all I can do now is read about it.

Look at this picture this is why I allready have my plate way to full
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rcdesk.jpg (97.8 KB, 208 views)
KINGZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 11:25 PM   #621
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I'm going to be running this in the TCS, so I need to get a Tamiya shell. Can anybody recommend a good-handling Tamiya sedan body?

The race will be run indoors on carpet, if that makes a difference.
Old 01-30-2003, 01:03 AM   #622
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by futureal
I'm going to be running this in the TCS, so I need to get a Tamiya shell. Can anybody recommend a good-handling Tamiya sedan body?

The race will be run indoors on carpet, if that makes a difference.
360 Modena is the best if you ask me, it's light and hugs the chassis. some of the other tamiya bodies are a little over size. the NSX is said to be popular but i think its to heavy.

go the 360! (you can get a lightweight version too, thinner polycarbonate)
Old 01-30-2003, 01:07 AM   #623
R/C Tech Founder

Also, I must be blind, does anybody have Jun's set up from the recently completed Novak US TC Champs in Milwaukee?
Old 01-30-2003, 01:09 AM   #624
Tech Champion

Default Re: What is going on?

Quote:
Originally posted by elnitro

ive had no major issues with my car, i attended the 2003 Team Orion Summer Nats here in Australia last weekend, i ran my Evo in the first qualifier, all went fine, i then switched to my 414wcr as it was already setup for the track. 414 qualified me 8th in the A main modified final! i finished 7th

i plan on giving my evo a solid workout this friday night at a local track of ours, i need to work on it's setup a little, i'll be paying close attention to the rear roll center, spring selections.

currently i'm running 60wt oil in the front / 50wt in the rear.

i'll post my findings...

Last edited by black-knight; 01-30-2003 at 01:12 AM.
black-knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 06:41 AM   #625
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to KINGZJ

They also make a light weight r-34 body it also works very well it has a much better wing than the Modena but either work well. I almost won with the Altezza body last year at Trackside and in Hanover (2 seconds in a row what a bummer) You can get them from speedtech....
KINGZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 11:54 PM   #626
Tech Fanatic

hey guys just finished building my Evo3, I was wondring, i'm running the car on a indoor carpter track, its small and technical, i opted for the 90spur using the 34pinoin till i get other pinions, what sort of gear ratio should I be aiming for, for this type of track?

cheers
hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 12:18 AM   #627
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to weaponx

about how big is your track and what motor are you useing
weaponx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 12:34 AM   #628
Tech Fanatic

hey again ppl, i just took the evo for a spin, there wasn't a lot of speed there which was dissapointing, how have you combatted this prob?

cheers
Old 01-31-2003, 12:35 AM   #629
Tech Fanatic

weaponx,

its a stock 540 motor and the track is about half the 3/4 the size of a bastball court?
Old 01-31-2003, 01:05 AM   #630
R/C Tech Founder

If by "stock 540 motor" you mean a standard 540 "Mabuchi" then that is your speed problem right there, not the car. The Mabuchi will rip in a pan chassis, but it just doesn't have the torque to move a touring car very fast.