Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-26-2003, 09:38 AM   #601
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to madjack
Default Re: Lap times

Quote:
Originally posted by elnitro
So did you guys improve your lap times with this car? For people with 414MIIs, what are your impressions regarding your first time out with the M2 and Evo 3? Is the Evo3 really easier to drive right off the bat? The reason I am asking because I am debating which one to get.
For myself, the EVO3 was quicker after the first few packs. It feels more planted than my 414 ever did, so I feel like I'm able to push the car harder than I could my 414.

Both the 414 and E3 are great cars....but I have had better initial luck with the EVO, especially on smaller tracks.

my.02
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tamiyatrf/

Last edited by madjack; 01-26-2003 at 10:18 PM.
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 10:23 AM   #602
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

izzyracer,

You run out at Tamiya too? I'll be out there next Saturday, will you be there as well? I like to get to know as much of the Tamiya locals as possible.

futureal,

You might want to just pick up the usual stuff: Suspension pieces, outdrives, diff components, shock parts, and spring sets if you don't already have them.

Steve Wang
Speed Tech R/C
www.speedtechrc.com
SpeedTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 11:55 AM   #603
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by SpeedTech
You might want to just pick up the usual stuff: Suspension pieces, outdrives, diff components, shock parts, and spring sets if you don't already have them.
Dang it, sounds expensive.
Old 01-26-2003, 02:15 PM   #604
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to madjack

Quote:
izzyracer,

You run out at Tamiya too? I'll be out there next Saturday, will you be there as well? I like to get to know as much of the Tamiya locals as possible.

futureal,

Steve Wang
Speed Tech R/C
www.speedtechrc.com
Steve check your e-mail, & give me a ring at the house to discuss the Enduro...it'a all good!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tamiyatrf/
John

Last edited by madjack; 01-26-2003 at 10:17 PM.
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 05:06 PM   #605
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to weaponx

I just got done racing the evo 3 (first day running the car) and all I can say is its phenominal. I have a 414m2 and I feel the evo 3 is a much better car. More punch out of the corners and it transitions like its on rails. Do not get me wrong the 414m2 is a awesome car but I feel the evo 3 is a little bit better. If you can get an evo 3 you definately wont regret it.
weaponx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 07:43 PM   #606
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
izzyracer,

futureal,

Steve Wang
Speed Tech R/C
www.speedtechrc.com
Steve, weve bump a couple times at the track. I know you since everyone knows you being an R/C dealer, but I own the silver is300 remember at the 405. You feel you want to race the IS300 with your soup up WRX, but since we are beyond that we just said hi and goodbye...hehehe!
I'll be there with my team to practice for the Enduro!
I think I need the EVO 3 bearing upgrade...are you going to have it?
izzyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 10:58 PM   #607
Tech Champion

izzyracer,

Oh okay, I think I know who you are now I don't race on the freeway...there are no turnmarshalls

futureal,

then again, you don't have to pick up anything if you are brave enough . Actually, I've yet to break anything on my 414M2 (knock on wood) For the 9 months that I owned the car, I mainly just goes through normal wear and tear stuff (rebuilding diff, shocks...etc.)

madjack,

I will!

Steve Wang
Speed Tech R/C
www.speedtechrc.com
SpeedTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 04:58 PM   #608
Tech Champion

Send a message via AIM to rayhuang
Default Bummed out!!!

Guys,

This really bums me out-but I think I am going to unload my EVO3. I will post it and all my spares in the Swap and Sell section when I decide for sure I am going to get rid of it!!! Just thought I'd give you guys a heads up since, 1. someone here might want it and 2. you guys have been a great help.

Basically I am looking to upcoming races and this summer. I dont think this car is a great match for stock racing on carpet and foam tires. But I do think it would be amazing on asphalt or rubber tires on carpet. I dont race either!!! I run on-road nitro all summer long.........

So better to get some use from one of you guys then be a shelf dressing!!!

Ray
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 09:06 AM   #609
Tech Adept

Default selling your evo

Hey ray

Man you go through cars like your at a bar taking shots.

Trust me when I say that you can be competitive with the evo3. The problem is you have to stick with a car for more than tree or four weeks. I have been a tamiya fan for a long time and while a few others have had the m2 and gave up on it at our track saying that they couldn,t get it to work on foams I have continued to work on mine and have managed to get it working quite well. I think that the evo3 can do just as well if not better than the m2. And once you figure out the gearing for your track I think it will do well against the tc3 as well. The real question you have to ask yourself is are you driving the same no matter what car you drive. I have had many different touring cars in my day, and against the high level of competition in my area I have noticed that I did about the same with every one of my cars, and I just decided from that point to just go with the car that felt most comfortable for me to drive, and that has been a tamiya 414m. So what I am saying is don't give up so soon. My car is due in about a week or so and I will be playing around with set ups and I will share some info on what I learn about the car on foams.
mrodney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 09:11 AM   #610
Tech Regular

Stick with the EvoIII. I run on foams and every time I run it, it's just getting beter and better. I have an M2 and have always lost out to the TC3's on carpet but with the Evo i's very close to them and the car is imprvoing with every run and setup change. You can not set it up like the M2 (hard) is appears the need a softer setting but once you find it is very quick
alan1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 09:26 AM   #611
Tech Champion

Mark and alan1467,

Yes-I agree-the car has a lot of potential. I have basically been switching back and forth between my TC3, Losi and EVO3 and I always go the fastest by a big margin with my TC3. 11.4 with the EVO-but thats only for a few laps early-then the car really slows down and starts running 11.7, 11.8 and 12's. At 5-minutes I am dumping. I go out with my TC3 and run 11.3, 11.4's consistently from first minute to the 5 minute mark. Same battery, motor, servo, receiver and type of ESC (Novak Cyclones) I have matched rollouts to my TC3 and Losi and even gone up and down. Nothing seems to help. I worked the bearings, etc.

On the bright side-the car is really easy to drive-totally planted. If I ran Mod Sedan-I would probably keep it. But I dont.

I am sure with enough test time and everyones great help hereI could get it competitive-but the indoor season is winding down and its onto nitro-on-road. This was a big investement too and it hasnt payed off so I can view it as a business-get out now and put the money somewhere else. Like tires, hotel and food money for a big race!!!
Old 01-28-2003, 12:32 PM   #612
Tech Adept

Well ray ultamitly the choice is yours, but if you keep switching from losi, associated, tamiya, it seems as though you will be chasing set ups from here to eternity. Therefore I suggest that you chose one car and work with it for a whole season then make an assesment of the car and log your likes and dislikes. I to am looking forward to some nitro this summer, but thats still three months away, maybe four months depending on april weather patterns here in the midwest.

Well see you in toledo this summer, I am planning on moving up to 1/8th scale this year, but I will still probably run a lot of sedan as well.
Old 01-28-2003, 12:43 PM   #613
Tech Champion

mark-I know what your talking about-but this is the time of year to do what I am doing!!! I basically race to run the US Indoor Champs in November. SOmeday I'll be great enough to make the A there!!! So from Dec. till August-its pick a car time. From September to November its run the one I choose!! Remember I ran a TC3 for 3-years straight. I dont change in 12th scale-its always a Speedmerchant Rev.3 . I just cant find a TC I really like!!! This car swapping is a 2002/2003 phenomenon-only!!!
Old 01-28-2003, 03:16 PM   #614
Tech Adept

Hey ray

I know this isn't the forum for this but what gas car are you planning on running this summer.
Old 01-28-2003, 09:10 PM   #615
Tech Champion

Real quick-This summer I am running 1/10th 4wd class with Serpent Impact WC02 cars and Nova mega EV4Ms power. The most competitive class at our club will be that class!! All the cars, parts, tires have been bought already. Just waiting for Spring!!